What I ended up canning this week

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No recipe just make mashed sweet potatoes add maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little apple juice to get it to consistency but not too runny. I do it to taste. No butter or fats. Then spread it on trays in your dehydrator. I like to use parchment paper for this because with the syrup it can be sticky and less clean up. Then dry just like fruit leather or I like to dry mine beyond that to a stage that it can break apart (crisp) and put it in mason jars as a bark. I break in chunks and put in jars with oxygen absorber. As a bark it just kind of melts in your mouth over time almost like a piece of candy. I used to make it for my boys for backpacking when they were boy scouts. They would eat bags of this and homemade jerky.

Thank you DD! Sounds fabulous and I will try it!

Robin a suggestion for those yellow plum/pear tomatoes. I grow them by the bucket full usually. My grandkids adore them like this.

Take the tomatoes and cut up in chunks along with sweet onions and peppers and garlic cloves or minced garlic and lots of fresh basil or even Italian seasoning. Drizzle a good olive oil over all and place in a 300 oven and roast low and slow stirring very 20 minutes or so.

The vegetables will caramelize with the onions, peppers and basil.

Bake some good crusty french bread

Slice the bread and spread the mixture on that warm chewy crusty bread and enjoy. When they get done they scrape the pan for all the juices left in the pan with the extra bread.

Back to canning. Just a suggestion! Happy Canning DD
Looks like how I put it over rice. Yummy

My understanding of it is.

The USDA recommends that for best food quality, store home canned foods in a clean, cool, dark, dry location at a temperature between 50 and 70°F [10 to 21 C.] It is also recommended for food quality purposes that you can no more food than you will use within a year; however, there is no specific shelf life for home canned foods.”

You know the USDA the home of the canning police.

Ball said in 2014

The shelf life of your canned food is one year. So again, if you decide to hold onto that food longer, you are losing possible color, quality, and most importantly the nutrient value. We always adhere to USDA guidelines and that is, once you’ve preserved that food, you have one year to eat that to get the best nutritional value out of that.

So the understanding I have is that you are supposed to eat anything you can in 1 year. After that it goes down in nutritional value and quality. Like the expiration date on purchased commercial canned goods in cans. So the Ball corporation is pushing the limit to 18 months with the new and improved lids.

Extension Services and the USDA have kept the 12 month recommendation. Those recommendations are and remain: for optimum quality, try to use up your home-canned goods within a year. After that, just rotate them to the front of the shelves to make sure they get used up first and not buried behind newer stuff. They are perfectly good as long as the seal remains intact (and were processed using a tested recipe, of course.)

Just my understanding

DD

My understanding of it is.

You know the USDA the home of the canning police.

Ball said in 2014

So the understanding I have is that you are supposed to eat anything you can in 1 year. After that it goes down in nutritional value and quality. Like the expiration date on purchased commercial canned goods in cans. So the Ball corporation is pushing the limit to 18 months with the new and improved lids.

Extension Services and the USDA have kept the 12 month recommendation. Those recommendations are and remain: for optimum quality, try to use up your home-canned goods within a year. After that, just rotate them to the front of the shelves to make sure they get used up first and not buried behind newer stuff. They are perfectly good as long as the seal remains intact (and were processed using a tested recipe, of course.)

Just my understanding

DD
So have to wonder if the USDA didn't work something out with Ball to make sure we can not be self sufficient and able to keep good longer in case of a certain crop failure.

So have to wonder if the USDA didn't work something out with Ball to make sure we can not be self sufficient and able to keep good longer in case of a certain crop failure.

Just me but I plan on keeping my canned food for at the longest about 2 years. I can enough of one crop that if that same crop fails the next season that I have enough for my husband and I to tide us over to the second season. I have not noticed a change in taste keeping it 2 years and it is probably still more nutritious than what you buy in lots of grocery stores. Hand grown, picked fresh and canned immediately.

I consider most fresh food and my freezer short term preps 1 year and under. Any meat over a year I will more than likely can to extend it's life. I consider my canned goods mid term preps 2 years average and under. I consider my dehydrated foods long term preps in most cases and store them accordingly 5 to 10 years and under. Pantry staples beans, rice etc I really do not worry about they will last longer than me.

The last couple days I have been trying to get some of my freezers cleaned out in anticipation of Miss Piggy coming back home. It should be either this week or next. I got the majority of my veggies canned now only leaving some for "fresh" use. Freeze drying three trays of diced bell peppers (still going) and ended up dehydrating 4 trays of various hot peppers. And today I am starting out with some ground beef. Have 15 pounds defrosting in the oven right now. That should be plenty to fill 7 quart jars to dry pressure can and enough left over to use for dinner. I also got out some chicken to defrost. With our road trip coming up to get my calf, I am frying chicken, making deviled eggs and potato salad so we wont have to stop anywhere and just eat on the road. Plan is to leave right after feeding (may have to be Wed but I am hoping Tues after I get home from work) and hopefully make it back home before dark to feed again. Hunny and I put the headache rack back on the truck and he is bolting it done and attaching sides to transport the little calf.

Okay, I'm going to say this....... Damn the new lids. I have already lost 3 jars of this year's tomatoes. I have tomatoes from years ago with the old lids. These were pressure canned and I followed all precautionary measures as usual. This is just wrong.
Everyone should return them. Send complaints to the company.

Everyone should return them. Send complaints to the company.

I have already! They have no competition so they can pretty well do what they want and they have everyone over a barrel this year with no products available. I wonder what next years prices will be for lids and jars. Would not surprise me if they make a big jump in price.

I bought a case of Mainstay regular lids at the first of the pandemic and a case of Kerr wide mouth. I did have one of the mainstays fail so reprocessed with a new lid when I did my next batch. So far all of my wide mouths have stayed in placed, but the last I canned was the hamburger meat and that was not too long ago. I will be pissed if those fail. . . .

Canned boiled peanuts! Nectar of the Gods. Greatest snack ever and the official snack of the SOUTH
:D
Canned with a touch of Louisiana hot sauce and cajun seasoning. 41 quarts of pure goodness.

Latest posts

Back