What I ended up canning this week

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bite! What is zucchini spread?
Canned Zucchini Spread (Ikra) Recipe\
Author: Anna @ Northern Homestead
Serves: 7 quarts
Ingredients
  • 500 g (5 cups loosely filled) chopped onions
  • 1000 g (8⅓ cup) chopped carrots
  • 1000 g (6⅔ cup) chopped zucchini
  • 2 celery sticks chopped
  • 300 g (2½ cup) chopped bell peppers
  • 2 chopped jalapeno peppers
  • 900 g (5 cups loosely filled) chopped tomatoes
  • 2 big garlic cloves
  • Cilantro, Parsley, Dill
  • 3 tablespoon salt (I used 1)
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar (I substitute with white vinegar)
  • Oil to fry optional
Instructions

1. In a big saucepan saute (water saute or use a tablespoon of oil) the onions, carrots, garlic, celery and zucchini adding one after another.
  2. Add peppers, tomatoes and vinegar, simmer for 10 minutes. Cook up to an hour if you choose not to use a pressure canner.
  3. Add herbs and spices and cook for a few more minutes.
  4. Fill jars, wipe rims, apply lids, and screw on bands.
  5. Process at 11 pounds pressure, pints for 20 minutes, and quarts 25 minutes. Adjust for processing above 2,000 feet altitude

Ingredients
  • 2 big garlic cloves
  • Oil to fry optional
Instructions

1. In a big saucepan saute (water saute or use a tablespoon of oil) the onions, carrots, garlic, celery and zucchini adding one after another.
  2. Add peppers, tomatoes and vinegar, simmer for 10 minutes. Cook up to an hour if you choose not to use a pressure canner.
  5. Process at 11 pounds pressure, pints for 20 minutes, and quarts 25 minutes. Adjust for processing above 2,000 feet altitude
This is pressure cooked so I cut back on the vinegar. I put in only a half cup.

Ingredients
  • 2 big garlic cloves
  • Oil to fry optional
Instructions

Kind of like a chow-chow or relish

After dicing everything up minus the tomatoes I put in my top oven and roasted the veggies until almost done then added in my diced tomatoes to finish the cooking process. Since I doubled the recipe I added in a couple Tablespoons each of the herbs and like I said, cut way back on the vinegar. The original recipe only used 1 T 9% vinegar in a note posted by the OP and she uped it to 1 cup to be on the safe side. I let my veggies turn a little brown on the roasting function but not burnt at all which is why I didn't add in my tomatoes till towards the end. I love roasted veggies and by doing it in the oven I can do more things while it is cooking verses stovetop method. You do get a taste of the vinegar but mainly you taste the veggies and herbs. The OP suggested making a sandwich with it, but I think I will stick with a side dish and in soups. If put thru a blender it might even make a good dip.

I’ve canned
I hope I get to can beans soon. This is the latest ever, but the rain made it a late crop. I have pickles lots of pickles. Kosher dill
two cases of beans and two of pickles. I planted a lot more beans in the greenhouse and will get at least two more cases. The tomatoes are just now coming ripe so I’ll start with them next. I’m getting okra now too. Plans are for a big breakfast tomorrow morning with fresh yellow squash fried with potatoes and okra. I’ll dice some of the tomatoes to go in the omelette too. Most of the outside garden is getting cooked now except the tomatoes and mellons. theres lots of honeydews and cantaloupes but none ready yet.

I’ve canned

two cases of beans and two of pickles. I planted a lot more beans in the greenhouse and will get at least two more cases. The tomatoes are just now coming ripe so I’ll start with them next. I’m getting okra now too. Plans are for a big breakfast tomorrow morning with fresh yellow squash fried with potatoes and okra. I’ll dice some of the tomatoes to go in the omelette too. Most of the outside garden is getting cooked now except the tomatoes and mellons. theres lots of honeydews and cantaloupes but none ready yet.

Sounds good.

I know a lot of you are just now getting tomatoes in so I thought I would share the spaghetti sauce recipe to can that I have used for the last couple years now. Don't be scared of the soy sauce and Worcester sauce. They both work really well in this recipe. I do add in a few more Italian herbs, but that is just our preference. This is the same recipe that our bachelor neighbor wants when he brings me his tomatoes and jars.
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/canned-spaghetti-sauce/

I know a lot of you are just now getting tomatoes in so I thought I would share the spaghetti sauce recipe to can that I have used for the last couple years now. Don't be scared of the soy sauce and Worcester sauce. They both work really well in this recipe. I do add in a few more Italian herbs, but that is just our preference. This is the same recipe that our bachelor neighbor wants when he brings me his tomatoes and jars.
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/canned-spaghetti-sauce/
Thanks. I’m sure you pressure can yours But have you even tried the water bath?

Thanks. I’m sure you pressure can yours But have you even tried the water bath?
I actually water bath unless I add meat, then I will pressure cook the meat time of 90 minutes.

also I cook my tomatoes in the oven till they blister so roughly a hour to an hour and a half. Rough cut laid out on a baking sheet. Run thru a blender till smooth. If you like chuncky, you can leave some. I basically ally skip step 1 & 2 by not plunging and peeling. Cooking them long enough in the oven, the skins puree up too. It also cuts down on step 5s cooking time of 4-5 hours on the stove to about an hour and a half.

Last edited:
I canned dill pickles and salty brine pickles. I picked enough beans for us, but I haven't had great production this year. It's so hot at night that the blooms are dropping. I read that it needs to be 65 or lower at night for good production.

I also froze some breaded squash. I gave numerous neighbors squash and cucumbers.

I'm getting 2 boxes of canning tomatoes tomorrow and wanted to pass this along. After I blanch the tomatoes and remove peels, I dehydrate the peels, then put dried peels in the blender and turn them to powder, then I use the food saver jar sealer to keep them fresh. These are really good for thickening sauces, gravy and soups. It adds good flavor too. Since 2 in the family have celiac disease, I don't have to worry if there is wheat hidden in the ingredients.

My son won't eat watermelon, but will drink the juice.

Hoping to get enough green beans to restock the pantry this year as I ran out over winter. I should be fine with them and tomato products by the end of the growing season. I’m most excited about fresh watermelons, cantaloupes and honeydews. I never preserve them as I can’t eat enough to get tired of them!

I'm getting 2 boxes of canning tomatoes tomorrow and wanted to pass this along. After I blanch the tomatoes and remove peels, I dehydrate the peels, then put dried peels in the blender and turn them to powder, then I use the food saver jar sealer to keep them fresh. These are really good for thickening sauces, gravy and soups. It adds good flavor too. Since 2 in the family have celiac disease, I don't have to worry if there is wheat hidden in the ingredients.
that's a great idea! I like to add in tomato/chicken Bullion to my green beans for added flavor. You could just add in your tomato powder to your chicken broth and probably get the same effect. I'm not even sure Knorr still makes the tomato chicken bullion anymore.

Latest posts

Back