What I ended up canning this week

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's a great idea! I like to add in tomato/chicken Bullion to my green beans for added flavor. You could just add in your tomato powder to your chicken broth and probably get the same effect. I'm not even sure Knorr still makes the tomato chicken bullion anymore.
Knorrs does have lots of additives.

The chickens have been laying aplenty lately so Spicy pickled eggs were a must and ended up with 9 pints. Son 4 eats them like crazy and I love them on my salads!! We had gone to a local flea market Sunday where a buddy had purchased something called Sweet Potato Butter from one of the booths. I love going thru these cause I can get different ideas on what to do with what I have extra. It sounded good, but had never tried it before. Yesterday I decided I would use some sweet taters and see what I could come up with. I took a standard recipe (cause I needed a basic PH level guide) and tweaked it for my family on taste. Buy PH strips from a pool supply house when you go into the big city. I called up my buddy and asked if he had tried it out and what ingredients they had. He said sweet taters, cane syrup, spices and Xanthum (which I had never heard of before). I used Sweet taters, both white and brown sugar, apple juice, orange juice, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. When I was done, it tasted pretty darn good, like a sweet potato pie with a little tartness. Buddy was interested so came on over with a friend so he could try mine and I could try his that he bought. Ended up making 10 1/2 pints with buddy leaving the rest of his jar at my house and leaving with one of mine. . .:rolleyes: I'll take that as a compliment!

Dani I make a sweet potato fruit leather and dehydrate. Basically mashed sweet potatoes, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and apple juice.

After boiling my 2 turkeys yesterday, I ended up with 9 quarts of turkey along with some leftover for dinner tonight and 60 half pints of turkey broth. I had boiled chicken a couple days ago for a chicken spaghetti dinner and have that broth in the slow cooker to make the portable soup. I had started it out on high yesterday but turned it down to low when I had to go into work. It's getting close now so just left it on low. Dont want it to scorch. I'll probably be turning it off to cool by tonight.

Yes I am still dehydrating onions. Day 300 it seems. There is no end. Have a 5 gallon bucket of cukes and hubby brought in squash, zucchini and okra. I gave up and sent out care packages to a couple of elderly neighbors. Veggies and pullet eggs LOl. Red Beans in the canner. Wanted to load peppers into the solar dehydrator but it is too cloudy.

I have enough regular type jars of different squash canned up for a couple years now so needed a new way to do squash. I ran across a recipe for Ratatouille so I am trying out that one today. Have 7 pints in the canned right now. I also ran across a recipe for zucchini salad that I may try out next.

When I was on FB, I made the mistake of joining a canning group that was worse than the canning Nazis. If the book doesn't say it's okay, you will die and kill your family. Squash is one of those. I told them I added a teaspoon of lemon juice to add the acidity needed, but that didn't matter. I then joined a couple of rebel sites that can everything they can fit in a jar.

Now that sounds simply yummy!! Care to share the recipe? only if you have time DD. I know you are swamped right now.

No recipe just make mashed sweet potatoes add maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little apple juice to get it to consistency but not too runny. I do it to taste. No butter or fats. Then spread it on trays in your dehydrator. I like to use parchment paper for this because with the syrup it can be sticky and less clean up. Then dry just like fruit leather or I like to dry mine beyond that to a stage that it can break apart (crisp) and put it in mason jars as a bark. I break in chunks and put in jars with oxygen absorber. As a bark it just kind of melts in your mouth over time almost like a piece of candy. I used to make it for my boys for backpacking when they were boy scouts. They would eat bags of this and homemade jerky.

When I was on FB, I made the mistake of joining a canning group that was worse than the canning Nazis. If the book doesn't say it's okay, you will die and kill your family. Squash is one of those. I told them I added a teaspoon of lemon juice to add the acidity needed, but that didn't matter. I then joined a couple of rebel sites that can everything they can fit in a jar.

Yeah I have come across the infamous canning nazis a couple times myself. I am on the top of the rebel roster.

Last edited:
I have so many yellow cherry tomatoes, I decided to pull out the Jack LaLanne juicer. I haven't used it in months.

Robin a suggestion for those yellow plum/pear tomatoes. I grow them by the bucket full usually. My grandkids adore them like this.

Take the tomatoes and cut up in chunks along with sweet onions and peppers and garlic cloves or minced garlic and lots of fresh basil or even Italian seasoning. Drizzle a good olive oil over all and place in a 300 oven and roast low and slow stirring very 20 minutes or so.

The vegetables will caramelize with the onions, peppers and basil.

Bake some good crusty french bread

Slice the bread and spread the mixture on that warm chewy crusty bread and enjoy. When they get done they scrape the pan for all the juices left in the pan with the extra bread.

Back to canning. Just a suggestion! Happy Canning DD

Robin a suggestion for those yellow plum/pear tomatoes. I grow them by the bucket full usually. My grandkids adore them like this.

Take the tomatoes and cut up in chunks along with sweet onions and peppers and garlic cloves or minced garlic and lots of fresh basil or even Italian seasoning. Drizzle a good olive oil over all and place in a 300 oven and roast low and slow stirring very 20 minutes or so.

The vegetables will caramelize with the onions, peppers and basil.

Bake some good crusty french bread

Slice the bread and spread the mixture on that warm chewy crusty bread and enjoy. When they get done they scrape the pan for all the juices left in the pan with the extra bread.

Back to canning. Just a suggestion! Happy Canning DD
If you cook some chicken in with that I bet it would be divine!

Latest posts

Back