What I am doing [Updated]

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mason

Banned
Reaction score
I decided to update my thread because @Maverick pointed out a lot of mistakes. This one is a lot bigger of a plan and is going to cost a little bit money. So, here it goes.
I was going to build one of those tiny homes right by a nice river. The home wouldn't be too close to the river where it is in danger of flooding if the river gets high. With solar panels on the roofs, I will be able to have my own electricity. This can power my fridge, stove, and everything else that needs electricity to run. I will have running water coming from the river but going through a filtration point before it comes out the faucet, fridge, etc. Now that I have electricity and fresh water, the only thing left on my list is security, food, and entertainment. For entertainment, I will have a deck of cards, fishing boat and pole, and the good ole' river view. Since I will actually move into the tiny home, I will include a TV but of course an EMP hits, that is no longer available. For security, the walls, windows, and everything else that is on the outside of the home will be bullet proof, fire proof, and every other proof you can think of. I will have an AR-15 if someone attempts to break in. The only thing left on my list is food. I will have a bunker underground with a 1 year supply of food. I will also have chickens. One coop will have a male in it so it can breed chickens. The other coop will not have a male so the chickens will have eggs instead of a baby chick. Well, I think that covers it all! Maverick, feel free to correct my mistakes, I need all the help I can get!

Oh and I will be living with my brother because it will be hard to survive by yourself!

rooster not necessary for the hens to lay eggs only if you intend to bread chicks ;)

EDITED; oops I misread your chicken part
Haha, yeah one is for breeding the other without the hen is for eggs. So everything passed?

I decided to update my thread because @Maverick pointed out a lot of mistakes. This one is a lot bigger of a plan and is going to cost a little bit money. So, here it goes.
I was going to build one of those tiny homes right by a nice river. The home wouldn't be too close to the river where it is in danger of flooding if the river gets high. With solar panels on the roofs, I will be able to have my own electricity. This can power my fridge, stove, and everything else that needs electricity to run. I will have running water coming from the river but going through a filtration point before it comes out the faucet, fridge, etc. Now that I have electricity and fresh water, the only thing left on my list is security, food, and entertainment. For entertainment, I will have a deck of cards, fishing boat and pole, and the good ole' river view. Since I will actually move into the tiny home, I will include a TV but of course an EMP hits, that is no longer available. For security, the walls, windows, and everything else that is on the outside of the home will be bullet proof, fire proof, and every other proof you can think of. I will have an AR-15 if someone attempts to break in. The only thing left on my list is food. I will have a bunker underground with a 1 year supply of food. I will also have chickens. One coop will have a male in it so it can breed chickens. The other coop will not have a male so the chickens will have eggs instead of a baby chick. Well, I think that covers it all! Maverick, feel free to correct my mistakes, I need all the help I can get!

Oh and I will be living with my brother because it will be hard to survive by yourself!

I'm slightly confused given your original post (that no longer exist) to the new post, and do you own this property? original post was near lake now a river? So is it safe to assume this is just a dream for the future, in the original post you was at $4k now in this plan you substantially exceeded $500k seriously, you really need to research solar panels and it's limitations, truly sounds like you want all the comforts of a pre-SHTF in a post-SHTF and that's not a realistic view, you got a lot of research a head of you more then can be asked here in fact it would fill more then several volumes of books to accommodate what you are wanting.

I'm slightly confused given your original post (that no longer exist) to the new post, and do you own this property? original post was near lake now a river? So is it safe to assume this is just a dream for the future, in the original post you was at $4k now in this plan you substantially exceeded $500k seriously, you really need to research solar panels and it's limitations, truly sounds like you want all the comforts of a pre-SHTF in a post-SHTF and that's not a realistic view, you got a lot of research a head of you more then can be asked here in fact it would fill more then several volumes of books to accommodate what you are wanting.
Well, actually I am a teen. I am planning for when I move out. I was going to put the home and all on my uncles property, he wouldn't mind at all. My prepping plan turned into more of a living of the grid plan.

ok you mentioned solar power..maverick made a good point about it.so you might look into water turbines as well,so you can have a back up plan for electric..

Well, actually I am a teen. I am planning for when I move out. I was going to put the home and all on my uncles property, he wouldn't mind at all. My prepping plan turned into more of a living of the grid plan.

I suggest to focus on prepping for the now, start with a two week plan till you work up to having a month worth of preps (water/food/toiletries/hygiene/medical) dreaming for what you want wont get you through the now in an emergency, 70gal of water for one person will last a month w/freeze dried food, reliance 7-gal containers you will need 10 $140 augarson 4 person 72hr emergency food supply you need 3 $120 so for $260 will give you one month of water and food, plan for that!

Last edited:
I suggest to focus on prepping for the now, start with a two week plan till you work up to having a month worth of preps (water/food/toiletries/hygiene/medical) dreaming for what you want wont get you through the now in an emergency, 70gal of water for one person will last a month w/freeze dried food, reliance 7-gal containers you will need 10 $140 augarson 4 person 72hr emergency food supply you need 3 $120 so for $260 will give you one month of water and food, plan for that!
Alright, sounds good. Here in a couple of weeks I am starting my "business". I am doing the same thing my dad is, but my dad does it as a side job. He makes about 25k/year doing it. I am only 13 so when I turn 18, I will have a little over $100k. I will be saving up most of it but some not.

Alright, sounds good. Here in a couple of weeks I am starting my "business". I am doing the same thing my dad is, but my dad does it as a side job. He makes about 25k/year doing it. I am only 13 so when I turn 18, I will have a little over $100k. I will be saving up most of it but some not.

13? I wish you luck!

Granted, I know this is more of a fantasy/dream scenario exercise, but I'll chip in here too.

Just two people makes for a pretty dicey defense situation. Still though, if remote enough, shouldn't be too bad, just realize you will need to bug out of there if any kind of gang shows up.

As for underground...you're in FL friend...so you aren't going to go too deep. There's a reason we don't have basements here. ;) Make the home your bunker. Make it out of cinder blocks, rebar, and concrete.

Solar power equipment is expensive so this is a big hurdle. Florida gets plenty of sun, so no worries on that end, but the up front cost of the equipment will be in the thousands of dollars (enough to power a fridge, TV, etc.). Wind power isn't so hot here, so that really isn't an option either, though a little could supplement. (and an EMP is going to likely fry all of this setup, so keep that in mind). Still, it is about the only option for off-grid power here.

The chickens are a good idea, but I'll also recommend rabbits. There's a reason the phrase "breeds like rabbits" exists. A virtual meat factory here.

Also want to put in a garden. You can grow a LOT of things in FL, and throughout the year, due to our mild winters. Fruit trees are almost a given. Plant some for sure. Learn how to home can.

Invest in fishing. Lots of fishing here in FL. Also, tons of birds, snakes, lizards, bugs, and other non-traditional food sources.

Lots of edible plants in FL. Learn them. ;)

On the defense front, not sure how much land your uncle has or will let you use, but consider fencing off a certain perimeter from the planned house. If possible, clear away some area too, so you can see any potential attackers, and slow them down, or get them while they are in the open, and you are in your fortified home.

Don't recall how you plan to cook (an electric stove takes a lot of juice), but a wood-burning stove would suffice. Another power option (for more than just the stove), is somewhat limited, but still effective....Propane. Check into it.

Just curious how any teen will survive without WiFi, but.... :D

Best of luck in the endeavor, but I'll echo the comments above to simply start small now. Doing so doesn't mean you can't follow that dream later, but will mean you are somewhat prepared now. Just at least have a bag ready with essentials, and try to encourage your family to do the same. Doesn't have to be doomsday prep. Here in FL, just prepping for hurricane season should give you the ammo you need.

I realize the OP got banned, but an interesting discussion.

I forgot to add that here in FL, rainwater collection should be a given in a water plan. Rains all the time here. (even when the sun is shining).

Latest posts

Back