What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
This morning the wife and I went through our food storage and had rotated and cleaned and pulled all the older stuff and dropped it off at our local food bank. Not long after that we went resupply shopping. Stocked up on alot of canned foods, pastas, rices and beans. And had to bulk up on Tylenol I suffer from very bad constant migraines just about everyday. Did some yard work for couple hours than called it a day.

I have today off from work might do some more shopping and wash down the vehicles and make sure they up and running good

you do know that in a serious SHTF - quiet and the least labor oriented wins in that hunting & fishing category >>> alll kinds of traps & snares possible right up to taking down a deer ...

and if nothing else in firearms is possible - usually air rifles are a go - you could always try your hand at bows and slingshots ....
I'll have you know that I took my first animals, bullfrogs, snakes when I was only 8 years old. I have a wrist rocket, normal slingshot and a special slingshot with 3 latex bands for hunting. .25 cal.+.38 cal. and .45 cal. steel balls and white glass marbles for hunting. White glass marbles can be followed while shooting to correct your aim and easily found if you miss, plus the glass shatters if shot low to the ground in front of you rabbit, bird or squirrel to give you a better chance of getting it with the schrapnel...I shoot arrows and steel darts with the wrist-rocket for hunting and fishing. My bow is a 60 year old take down with aluminum handle and fiberglass limbs. 3 reserve strings, 6 alu arrows and 15 carbon: all with 3 blade razortips. A CO2 pistol and cocking air rifle at .177/4.5 mm cal. plus a cocking air pistol at 5.5 mm should get me something to eat quietly if the SHTF...always looking for a crossbow now-a-days too...Gary

And had to bulk up on Tylenol I suffer from very bad constant migraines just about everyday.
Tylenol is not good for your kidneys...migraines can come from not enough water daily, too much salt daily, too much noise daily, too much stress and also from living in high-rise apartments with the bunches of cables for electricty, metal pipes for water and gas plus the steel re-bar supports in the concrete...all acting like a huge antenna and sending out bad sources of unhealthy vibes which are collected by your very electrical nerve endings...
Try to slow your salt, sugar and stress down to see if it helps...
Then try to sleep outside to get away from the electronic smog to see if that helps too. Gary

Baby turkeys came in today...12 out of 15 made the trip. These will be raised for our breeding stock. Bought chocolate, slate, and bourbon types. I enjoy turkeys. We had to give ours up when we moved here last summer, as well as our chickens. Ordered chicks right away when we got here, and now getting 3 dz eggs a day, have a freezer full of rooster meat, and we just hatched 13 chicks. Filled up the incubator again this morning. No one around here seems to be raising turkeys, so had to order the babies.

Scored 2 boxes of Remington 00 buckshot at Academy. Remington is back in business!

with that FED $$$$ - March was another record month for gun sales with no ammo - going to take loooooooooong time for ammo sales to quiet down to a reasonable level ....

that's without more MNs this summer and without all the BS from Congress >>> there won't be any ammo supply relief for years & years if something goes ballistic .....

It’s a rainy day here all day so no real projects going to happen. I just loaded a pan with potatoes, carrots, onion and green peppers in beef broth, seasoned it and placed a standing rib roast on top it it. It’s searing now and then I will lower the temp for the remaining time. The house smells amazing and this is likely about all I will accomplish today. Oh, and have a loaf of yeast bread in the machine too. Can think of a better way to spend a rainy day.

It’s a rainy day here all day so no real projects going to happen. I just loaded a pan with potatoes, carrots, onion and green peppers in beef broth, seasoned it and placed a standing rib roast on top it it. It’s searing now and then I will lower the temp for the remaining time. The house smells amazing and this is likely about all I will accomplish today. Oh, and have a loaf of yeast bread in the machine too. Can think of a better way to spend a rainy day.

Ever use a pre-ferment?
I have found using one lets home made bread last longer before mold appears.

Ever use a pre-ferment?
I have found using one lets home made bread last longer before mold appears.
I haven’t, nor heard of it before. I buy bread at the grocery called Martins potato bread. it is more than double the price of the other breads but it stays fresh and soft for weeks! I’ve often wondered what kind of poisons I’m eating that help it do that.... my homemade bread is only good for three days or so but I usually eat a loaf in that time.

I haven’t, nor heard of it before. I buy bread at the grocery called Martins potato bread. it is more than double the price of the other breads but it stays fresh and soft for weeks! I’ve often wondered what kind of poisons I’m eating that help it do that.... my homemade bread is only good for three days or so but I usually eat a loaf in that time.

Make a small batch of dough as you normally would. But cover it and put it in the refrigerator for two or three days. It should have a slightly alcohol like smell, as it is fermenting.
The day you are making bread, let it come up to room temperature, then mix it in with your regular dough.

I keep a portion of each loaf of bread in a container in the fridge as per-ferment every time I make bread or pizza.

Today I worked on a pet project of mine that I have had for 50 years. My goal is to grow tomatoes in January, In Montana, On solar power! Impossible! You say! Well, I am working on it. The value it has, other than my own arrogance is that I will be able to start a lot of other crops way sooner than usual. I will be able to produce a lot more calories than before. One of my favorite things is to have fresh cherry tomatoes in my salad. If you use solar power are they still as good as sun warmed? I'll let you know.

Today I worked on a pet project of mine that I have had for 50 years. My goal is to grow tomatoes in January, In Montana, On solar power! Impossible! You say! Well, I am working on it. The value it has, other than my own arrogance is that I will be able to start a lot of other crops way sooner than usual. I will be able to produce a lot more calories than before. One of my favorite things is to have fresh cherry tomatoes in my salad. If you use solar power are they still as good as sun warmed? I'll let you know.
Good Luck!! Hoping you find a way. I love tomatoes on a salad, eating fresh out of the garden and look forward to getting some soon right now.

Today was rather busy for my off day. I started out doing the normal chores, then out to the garden. Did my weeding, some replanting, some transplanting, then worked on another couple rows of planting corn. Came in to work on the grand kids clubhouse remodel of making curtains, which I got half of them done, before hunny and I went out to walk our calves. Hunny wanted to take his girl, Abby thru the milking staunch for the first time. I told him we would make one more lap around the garden and then I would put Clara Belle up before he tried to do that because it was going to take both of us. . . . She was very hesitant but with me on the front side pulling and trying to coks thru and hunny on her backside, she finally went up the ramp and thru. After that we discussed going ahead and planting some fruit shrubs and trees we got a couple weeks back into the ground. Driving around in the golf cart, I started smelling something hot. Pulled up the seat and hunny started checking the batteries, which one broke off. While he fixed, I went ahead and started planting. . . Got a dewberry, an elderberry and started in on the first apple tree when hunny joined me. We got two apple trees in and a fig tree put in with about a 10 minute break before evening feeding. Dinner was leftovers of beef enchiladas. . . I am done for the day now.

During my breaks today I researched crepe paper flowers. My boss volunteered me to help decorate in another department for Mother's Day. . . I am trying to take a crash course to make them for a display I need to do on Friday. Should be fun to do. All I have been told is I have a Square hanging down from a pipe. . . Kind of sucks for me though. . . that is the day I am supposed to get 3 different trucks for my department. Wish it could be a different day to help another department. I can always come in on Saturday for what I need to do though.

I just received my final piece of medical equipment for our first aid/medical station. Its a portable ultrasound scanner that connects to a tablet via Bluetooth.

We now have all of the medical equipment and supplies we will likely get. Surgical kit, trauma kit, dental kit, transfusion kit, medical lab LED 40X to 2500X microscope, Philips HeartStart OnSite AED, centrifuge, blood pressure monitors, oxygen monitors, I/V bags, etc.

Latest posts

Back