What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
Germany has passed a CO/smoke detector law...you cannot build, rent or renovate a house anymore without adding smoke detectors with a digital signal to automatically call the fire dept. Not bad, just think the politicians have invested their personal money in the company which builds and sells these things...

Germany has passed a CO/smoke detector law...you cannot build, rent or renovate a house anymore without adding smoke detectors with a digital signal to automatically call the fire dept. Not bad, just think the politicians have invested their personal money in the company which builds and sells these things...
We have similar codes here. After construction was completed on my house I disconnected all of the smoke/CO detectors. No more getting woke up at 3 am with the damn things beeping because the battery's are low.

We have similar codes here. After construction was completed on my house I disconnected all of the smoke/CO detectors. No more getting woke up at 3 am with the damn things beeping because the battery's are low.
Both are a good thing to have in your home. I know your feelings about personal choices and freedoms though. Changing to quality detectors and possibly their locations even could save your life one day, of possibly your wife’s though.

Both are a good thing to have in your home. I know your feelings about personal choices and freedoms though. Changing to quality detectors and possibly their locations even could save your life one day, of possibly your wife’s though.
It really isn't a personal choice thing with me. I wouldn’t mind them so much if they worked. We have 4 of them in this house and when one malfunctions its difficult to find the one that is the problem. Our detectors are hard wired to AC with a battery backup.
Something that I noticed with a solar electric system is that some electric items don't work the same as utility power. For example, the clocks on the stove, range hood and on the thermostat don't keep time like they should. I dont know if that has anything to with our detector problems or not. I'm really not too worried anyway. We have a small house (1700 sq ft) and during winter I'm up every couple hours all night stoking the wood stove. Plus I'm a very light sleeper.

We have them. Not wired in, those make me nuts. And a CO2 detector, and fire extinguishers, and a crawl out ladder for the second floor. Have three grandkids to protect, and a parrot and an old man cat.
Found 100 onion starts and some asparagus to start at home depot today.

Bought 40 garlic starts yesterday at the market for $1.00!! Already have 1 inch long green shoots and after this last week of frost, they will be in the ground around the 20th of March. Big taters are getting legs to plant also. The rain came back and just drizzles and stops off and on for the last few days. Great for the ground, it can soak up lots without much runoff and washouts of the already planted seeds.

mandatory detectors - YES - use them or don't that's your personal choice - it's your dice roll in life ...

have them call emergency services? - GOD NO !!!!! - the 911 system in the US is 性交ed bad enough now >>> they have had to arrest building owners because they refused to fix the false alarms coming from their buildings - you get a couple of freebies - then increasing fines $$$$ - last is the hoosegow ....

Where should it go? I have 2 in my house. One in my room and one in the kitchen.
One on each floor and one outside the bedrooms. That’s just code though. I moved one from the living room as the fires would set it off occasionally. People have issues near the kitchen from the same issue sometimes.

Where should it go? I have 2 in my house. One in my room and one in the kitchen.

Not in kitchen. At least 20 feet from any fossil burning appliance or equipment. 10+ feet from source of humidity. No bathrooms or near A/C intake.

• 4 beeps and a pause: This means that there is carbon monoxide in the air and you should seek fresh air immediately and call 911.
  • 1 beep every minute: This means that the alarm has low batteries and you should replace them.
  • 3 beeps every minute: This means the alarm has encountered a malfunction and needs replacement.
  • 5 beeps every minute: This means your alarm has reached the end of its life and needs to be replaced with a new alarm

Our installations codes state one in every room in the house where a possibility is "to sleep"...so, no kitchen, bath, toilet or even a usable home office...unless there is a bed or sofa there...

I have been working everyday since February 15. I work Monday- Friday and then weekends at my job at a COVID vaccine clinic.

I was in the hospital for a few days in early February. The medical bills are rolling in. I have been working my savings for the last few years.

I could pay the medical bills off right away, but it would put a serious dent in my savings account. I have decided to work all I can to hopefully earn enough to pay the bills off without touching my savings.

I have a surgery planned for August. I will be able to save enough to pay all my out of pocket expenses without having to touch my savings.

right beforeI went to the hospital, I got new tires and inspection on my car $600.
We

I have been working everyday since February 15. I work Monday- Friday and then weekends at my job at a COVID vaccine clinic.

I was in the hospital for a few days in early February. The medical bills are rolling in. I have been working my savings for the last few years.

I could pay the medical bills off right away, but it would put a serious dent in my savings account. I have decided to work all I can to hopefully earn enough to pay the bills off without touching my savings.

I have a surgery planned for August. I will be able to save enough to pay all my out of pocket expenses without having to touch my savings.

right beforeI went to the hospital, I got new tires and inspection on my car $600.
We
It’s not fun or glamorous to work your butt off to pay debts but it certainly is admirable. I sleep a lot more soundly knowing I don’t owe anyone anything.

It’s not fun or glamorous to work your butt off to pay debts but it certainly is admirable. I sleep a lot more soundly knowing I don’t owe anyone anything.

That (the bold) right there.

After we get the tax return, we pay off the wife's car and we only have the house payment. Starting next month we will make an extra payment at the principle every month.

Our other project for this year, 4 inches of spray foam insulation in the kitchen.

To me the best investment a person can make is to pay off their debts. I no sooner paid off my medical bills and the wifes medical bills are starting to come in now. We've been without medical insurance since Jan 31st and the wife had an accident a couple of weeks ago. I sold some gold to pay off my medical bills and by June we'll some cattle to pay off the wifes medical bills. Then we'll be out of debt again.

Latest posts

Back