What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
Another thing you have to think about with high capacity ponds is ammonia levels. The paddlewheel type aerators do a pretty good job allowing ammonia to evaporate out of the water. In the Mississippi Delta ("Catfish Capitol of the World" LOL) they mostly use paddlewheels attached to tractor PTOs so they can move them easily from pond to pond. Obviously if you only have one pond then a stationary paddlewheel works fine.
iu

We never had ponds on our place in the Delta, but my uncle had ponds on the farm just south of us, so I only have indirect experience, but I learned a lot about the catfish business from him. His business partner had a PhD in catfish farming from Auburn. (Auburn has a very large fisheries department.) And, while I was teaching Chemical Engineerng at Auburn, I had a friend that was doing research on developing novel aeration systems for catfish ponds, and because of my indirect experience with catfish farming, we talked about his research ideas. He had a great idea for getting oxygen into the water, but not so great on removing ammonia, and that is what we mostly talked about.

Last edited:
Took my son to a fun party thing for Special young adults and was talking to a father. I have no idea of his politics but he just up and said "I've been thinking of getting a gun. I think it's really going to get ugly after election day."

I think lots of people are waking up to the Left's shenigans. This guy said he hadn't paid attention to politics in the past.
Guns are still available, its ammunition that has become a problem getting!!!! GET one as soon as possible!!

You can be sure that stuff like Ammo, Reloading gear, Magazines etc will get heavily taxed and possibly licenced with a fair chance on LEGAL limits of the amounts of stuff you can buy. if they cannot take your guns they will go after what makes them work.

New book arrived. Tracks and signs of the animals & birds of Britain and Europe. More of a nature book than hunters guide but looks like it has plenty of useful information, drawings and photos on track marks, scat and environmental signs to look out for. I really want it so I can become more aware of what is happening in my environment. After I got a book on wild edibles I started to see them everywhere. Hopefully the same will happen with this book.

I picked up two more semi auto pistols, no background check or police permission required. The laws here in Australia are not as rigid as most people think, in fact in some instances our gun laws are less restrictive than many parts of the US.

Reading a book about prepping and survivalism that has just come out called BUNKER building for the end times.
I Haven’t read a good novel in far too long now.
speaking of bunkers, I’m all for making your place as situated as you can for coming unrest/collapse. But I always think about the Medieval fortresses and castles. Most are in ruins now as they were a beacon for opposing forces to attack. What says I have loads of supplies more than a heavily fortified place? Always keep in mind your place is just a piece of ground and isn’t worth sticking it out to the end for. Sure, I will defend my place if ever needed but only to a point. Always have an escape route in the back of your mind.

I Haven’t read a good novel in far too long now.
speaking of bunkers, I’m all for making your place as situated as you can for coming unrest/collapse. But I always think about the Medieval fortresses and castles. Most are in ruins now as they were a beacon for opposing forces to attack. What says I have loads of supplies more than a heavily fortified place? Always keep in mind your place is just a piece of ground and isn’t worth sticking it out to the end for. Sure, I will defend my place if ever needed but only to a point. Always have an escape route in the back of your mind.
I agree, bunkers need to be well hidden if you have one. Blending in is important if you don't want the bad guys to hunt you down after SHTF and steal your stuff.

Got an antique manual foot pedal powered sewing machine added to my old tools collection.
I inherited one from a great aunt. When we first got married, my wife used it to make clothes for our son. It is one tough SOB, you can sew thick leather on it.

I’ve got a pedal one and two industrial singers for thick materials like leather. Even the big ones are decorated with the same old time scroll work. The only problem I have is I don’t know the first thing about sewing. They are cool dust collectors to have in the house though. I call my decor here early American cracker barrel....

I got these today from amazon. Just a little over a buck a mask and they seem pretty good quality. More importantly is they are reasonably comfortable. I wear a disposable paper surgical mask over the top of my n95’s so I can change the paper more often and stretch the better masks for longer use. It kind of sucks to breathe with two masks but I’m still of the mindset that I really don’t want this damned virus.
9371BB0B-C43A-4E54-9035-C11E5D958C23.png

Latest posts

Back