What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
If SHTF how are you going to get OS?
cGc

I tried growing some potatoes in the summer months a few years ago just to see what happened. The stems and leaves grew well, but potatoes did not. Sadly. Hope you have better luck Buttoni!

It was either plant them or throw them out. So I figured what have I got to lose? I'm hoping for at least some potatoes, if the gopher doesn't eat them all first. LOL I'll just have to wait and see. I'll replant in October if these planted yesterday fail to produce.

The grow-bag red potatoes I planted here in the city back in early March are producing some small, new potato sized potatoes so far. No big ones though. Plants are beginning to brown off in our heat though, so I'm not too optimistic I'll get many more.

I've decided that the only thing more tiring than establishing, maintaining and harvesting a garden....................is trying to keep up with TWO gardens indifferent cities. LOL

If SHTF how are you going to get OS?

Likely via my local airport using my miles for upgraded seats and lounge access. :)

I know we say things like SHTF like it's some kind of end of the world type situation, but in reality that concept is going to have different meanings for different people. Even in all out war, people still got out of Saigon and Kiev. Maybe the line for some people might be their own gated community becoming unsafe, or a Uvalde type incident at their kid's private school (just hypothetical... my kids are grown up), or changes in laws that aren't conducive to one's own beliefs, etc.

Bought an old military short wave receiver for 100 dollars, after cleaning it I have to try it out, it will definitely be worth the money. For the coming crisis, the thing is worth its weight in gold, it also has a chopper device with it and you can also connect it to 6 or 12 volts.

P1020328.JPG P1020329.JPG P1020330.JPG

http://www.armyradio.ch/radio-d/e-627.htm

We are getting our first rooster in the next weeks. We are getting 3-4 eggs daily and it is more than we need at the moment. We will be drying and canning about 120 lbs. of onions I have gotten by helping in the onion harvest last week.
Our Goliath tomatos and meat tomatos are getting canned in the next two weeks.
Will be getting another 100 lbs of feed for the chickens on Mon/Tue. since the corn harvest has fallen out terribly this year and the price will be jumping up fast.
Got the go-ahead from a farmer to clean out/up his back 5 acres of land and will be getting some spare firewood through the action also. The price of firewood has jumped about 75% in price as to last year. A ton of wood cost about $100 last year and now it runs about $165-$185 depending on the type of wood you order and where.
Getting a spare wood burning heater/stove from our adopted son since he is getting another one from a german family here and I can get it fixed up for him to use this winter.
I am canning our yellow tomatos and making concord grape jelly this week instead of moonshine from the grapes this year. I can buy enough moonshine for about $10 a liter, cheaper than any JimBeam or JackDaniels junk.
Tested the generator on the welding machine this week to make sure it is strong enough also.
Had the Volvo in the garage to gut out the DPF and re-program the on-board-diagnostics that it "forgets" that the DPF is even there and "needs" to be re-generated which uses more diesel than normal driving does. That will save me some money of diesel.
Busy getting the garden ready for winter. The carrots will stay in the ground covered with hay and the brussel sprouts also will stay till about December. They will both be harvested with the first heavy snowfall before they can freeze.

I ordered a second egg incubator and a 10'×6 greenhouse, it's an aluminum frame with polycarbonate panels, a gutter system, vents, etc.

As shtf gets worse, I will need to hatch more chickens and grow food during winter.

I don’t have a rooster, but my brother has several and I will get one when the time is right. Is anyone looking into getting meat birds to hatch and grow out yourselves? I’m eyeing some Red Ranger meat chickens. They grow slower than Cornish Cross, but you can keep a few for future chicks. They are said to be easier for homesteaders to raise. They are ready for processing at 9 weeks.

I don’t have a rooster, but my brother has several and I will get one when the time is right. Is anyone looking into getting meat birds to hatch and grow out yourselves? I’m eyeing some Red Ranger meat chickens. They grow slower than Cornish Cross, but you can keep a few for future chicks. They are said to be easier for homesteaders to raise. They are ready for processing at 9 weeks.
We tried the Red Ranger breed a few years ago. Nice looking birds, foraged well, didn't have leg problems and didn't die from hart attacks. But we just didn't like the taste. We ate a couple of them and ended up donating the rest to the senior center in town. We've been raising the Cornish X every year since. We like the taste but we always loose a bunch. They're not recommended for our elevation either. So now we're looking for a "duel purpose" breed that will reproduce on their own and are good eating.

What a shame they don’t taste good! What exactly was the taste?
The meat was kind of tough and stringy. That might be from letting them free range, rather than the breed itself. They had access to meat bird feed also, but preferred bugs, plants and seeds more. We raise the Cornish X in pens and they never go outside, which could be why the taste better in my opinion. I'd like to find a breed that does well foraging to cut back on feed costs, will reproduce on its own, and tastes good.

Latest posts

Back