Helpful Info. What happens to Ham Radio When the Internet Disappears | Tactical Ham Radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't have a Yaesu radio with System Fusion it sounds like nothing more than static.
Fusion, DMR, P25 and D-Star are all unintelligible without a decoder. The advantage of DMR is it has two time slots and can carry two conversations at once. The disadvantage is that its probably the least expensive to get into due to the proliferation of DMR transcievers from Anytone and beofeng. I've used a rtl-sdr ($25) with sdr# and dsd+ to decode dmr and p25 phase 1. Of course we're talking well beyond the skills and interest of the unlicensed baofeng brigades but it can be done.
Now if only someone could come up with a way to do winlink over one time slot of dmr and voice on the other, one repeater to would handle digital voice and email.

Our group uses strictly P25 now for local comms. Best audio (unless you count All Star, which we all have for traveling as well) out of all the digital modes. We also have an HF rally frequency that is also he nightly rag chew freq. If you have a digital scanner you can listen to P25 comms. Also, building DMR code plugs is not for the neophyte, it takes a little involvement. C4FM is pretty much plug and play.

Our group uses strictly P25 now for local comms. Best audio (unless you count All Star, which we all have for traveling as well) out of all the digital modes. We also have an HF rally frequency that is also he nightly rag chew freq. If you have a digital scanner you can listen to P25 comms. Also, building DMR code plugs is not for the neophyte, it takes a little involvement. C4FM is pretty much plug and play.
Yeah, P25 and DMR can at least turn on encryption if law and order breaks down.
When I got P25 decoding on my PC, I was turned around messing with the dog and it sounded like a cop was standing on my desk talking behind me but their repeater was 30 miles away.

Fusion, DMR, P25 and D-Star are all unintelligible without a decoder. The advantage of DMR is it has two time slots and can carry two conversations at once. The disadvantage is that its probably the least expensive to get into due to the proliferation of DMR transcievers from Anytone and beofeng. I've used a rtl-sdr ($25) with sdr# and dsd+ to decode dmr and p25 phase 1. Of course we're talking well beyond the skills and interest of the unlicensed baofeng brigades but it can be done.
Now if only someone could come up with a way to do winlink over one time slot of dmr and voice on the other, one repeater to would handle digital voice and email.
I have Fusion and DSTAR, and am now trying to wrap my beady brain around DMR. Trying to make my own codeplug is what is problematic for me. But I will figure it out

I have Fusion and DSTAR, and am now trying to wrap my beady brain around DMR. Trying to make my own codeplug is what is problematic for me. But I will figure it out
I kind of went at it backwards. Started listening to dmr with dsd+ and watching the real-time packets scroll on the computer screen. My work also uses dmr so seeing those packets with what I knew of the setup made the slots, colors and everything click for me.

MY dstar radio has been a REAL pain to program, still havent gotten it right!!!
I have to go back and watch the video I did on the Icom ID-5100A so I can refresh my old brain on how to program it.....
I kind of went at it backwards. Started listening to dmr with dsd+ and watching the real-time packets scroll on the computer screen. My work also uses dmr so seeing those packets with what I knew of the setup made the slots, colors and everything click for me.
The whole color thing and time slot is what is getting me. I never know which one to put in. I have tried following what a repeater woner may have listed, but still a no go.

Latest posts

Back