Helpful Info. What happens to Ham Radio When the Internet Disappears | Tactical Ham Radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, that is one reason I keep ham and electronics books on the shelf, so I don't have to access the internet. Just like my survival books, right there at my fingertips. Same goes for radio manuals, quick and easy access. de KA5SIW

E9E8F1AA-378F-4454-BBF5-289A14EEC857.jpeg
This is just one of several bookshelves I have.

This is just one of several bookshelves I have.
Nice collection! What is the CRC Handbook on? I can't read it. I have the CRC handbook of chemistry and physics. It is the holy grail of reference information for various materials and their physical properties like the densities, thermal properties, strengths etc. I got it out of the dumpster and it is my favorite reference book.

HF is the only way to go for long distance including SSB on 11 meters when the propagation is right. Problem in losing the internet we also lose access to vital information such as solar activity, without knowing the solar activity propagation becomes more than a guessing game unless chatter can be heard, if propagation is a problem due to solar activity wouldn't VLF (CW) be a better choice, some countries have open parts of VLF up for Hams in LP mode but in a SHTF, VLF HP mode using CW propagation wouldn't be that big of an issue most of the year... thinking out-loud
Not like NBS doesn't give solar activity reports once an hour. What did we do before the intarwebs???

Nice collection! What is the CRC Handbook on? I can't read it. I have the CRC handbook of chemistry and physics. It is the holy grail of reference information for various materials and their physical properties like the densities, thermal properties, strengths etc. I got it out of the dumpster and it is my favorite reference book.
Which shelf is it on and I can tell ya lol. Top mid bottom left or right? Lol

Good eye yeah just got it in the pic. The handbook of reactive chemical hazards by bretherick. Could come in handy one day hehe
Several years ago our state library decided to throw away most of their books, i was able to get about 50 boxes of them that i rescued from the shredder and most were great emergency prep and prepper books!! My library now covers bout anything!!

Out here in the badlands of New Mexico, internet is SLOW and intermittent. Good think we have books! Our library has book sales about every 3 months and we always do the sales. Walk away with a big box of hardbacks and paperbacks for $5.00! That is where I have bought boy scout books, reloading manuals, US military survival manuals. The kind of books 90% of the people would not even look at.

Out here in the badlands of New Mexico, internet is SLOW and intermittent. Good think we have books! Our library has book sales about every 3 months and we always do the sales. Walk away with a big box of hardbacks and paperbacks for $5.00! That is where I have bought boy scout books, reloading manuals, US military survival manuals. The kind of books 90% of the people would not even look at.
As captjim said above and with the original poster this is why ham radio is important when internet goes down we still have email via winlink, can send images out of destroyed areas via slow scan tv, text messages via all sorts of digital formats, voice when phone lines are down, etcetc.

Of the digital modes I prefer Yaesu's System Fusion / C4FM. I do use it while talking to someone via simplex. This kind of allows for a somewhat hidden transmission. If you don't have a Yaesu radio with System Fusion it sounds like nothing more than static.

Latest posts

Back