Quantcast

Helpful Info. What happens to Ham Radio When the Internet Disappears | Tactical Ham Radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
If you are a Ham Radio operator, do you use any of the digital modes (DSTAR, Fusion and DMR)? If you do have you given much thought to what will happen to the digital modes ones the internet stops working for whatever reason? Take a look at this video by K6UDA on this very subject.

Riden_Da_Goldwing

Reaction score
you can still send messages via keyboard to keyboard by the means of packet digital is still alive just not the plug and play type it will take a little reading and older equipment but it can be done

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
HF is the only way to go for long distance including SSB on 11 meters when the propagation is right. Problem in losing the internet we also lose access to vital information such as solar activity, without knowing the solar activity propagation becomes more than a guessing game unless chatter can be heard, if propagation is a problem due to solar activity wouldn't VLF (CW) be a better choice, some countries have open parts of VLF up for Hams in LP mode but in a SHTF, VLF HP mode using CW propagation wouldn't be that big of an issue most of the year... thinking out-loud

road314

Jr Member
Reaction score
The digital modes and services are great but as ham radio preppers we need to be ready to go "olde school". In my area we have a regular vhf simplex net. Work to become experts in overcoming the poor propagation conditions.

radiogoon

Reaction score
Gotta be ready for grid down too. How long is the peter going to be up after power failure?
I was involved in the East Cast Blackout in what, early 2000? Point is, our city used Nextels instead of radios. They were done after 8 hours. Always have a radio that doesn't depend on the grid.

Jeff0278

Reaction score
The digital modes and services are great but as ham radio preppers we need to be ready to go "olde school". In my area we have a regular vhf simplex net. Work to become experts in overcoming the poor propagation conditions.
We also have a simplex net in my area, if the net were to go down it would only interrupt my Hickok45 videos on YouTube, my coms would still be up. I can still operate digital as long as I have a computer.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Radio comms for preppers in an ideal world will not rely on the interweb, mains powered repeaters etc, Self contained ham station to self contained ham station NOT powered by mains power is the best option I believe.

pixelphotographer

Reaction score
I cant speak for the other modes but d star works without internet. Simplex d star works just fine, D star with a repeater works just fine and doesn't need internet, and d star works just fine on hf with my 7100. So not worried if the internet goes down. I don't use internet radio now.
Also there are tons of digital formats on fldigi I can use without internet to talk world wide or state to state.

Jim_K7JLJ

Reaction score
What happens?

The National off grid HF network takes over. We practice this scenario for a week every year.

In this low sun cycle digital is the only consistent means of comms nationwide using Contestia and JS8call but SSB will work regionally NVIS in particular.

The group is AMRRON, check it out.

sgi_va

Jr Member
Reaction score
If the Internet is going to stop working there is good chance that it happened because of the global power outage. IMHO you can forget about your D-STAR digital repeaters and switch to low power HF. Just a thought...

Latest posts