What happens to gold and silver?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other countries that have had economic collapse, what has happened to the gold silver and other objects of value?
It ended up in the hands of people who were prepared and had enough things of value that they could trade some for gold.
Those that had gold, but nothing else, had to spend it all for food and other necessities.
Unless they had a crapload of gold.
And of course some people just stole the gold.

In my personal opinion, I don't think gold & silver will be of any value if there's a total collapse of society, worldwise or otherwise as who's to say how much it will be worth when that happens. It's just going to be a chunk of silver or gold. I believe what will hold any value are our posessions, and our skills. What are we going to do with a piece of silver or gold? it's just going to sit there and gather dust.

Gold and silver will only have value IF there is some form of commercial civilization. The native Americans had little or no use for it, until the settlers came. The value of these metals will depend on how far the world regresses after a major SHTF.

In my personal opinion, I don't think gold & silver will be of any value if there's a total collapse of society, worldwise or otherwise as who's to say how much it will be worth when that happens. It's just going to be a chunk of silver or gold. I believe what will hold any value are our posessions, and our skills. What are we going to do with a piece of silver or gold? it's just going to sit there and gather dust.
There is a reason that Russia and China are going to back their currencies with gold.

I think both @DrHenley and @tmttactical have it right. It will depend how dire the circumstances are and who you are trading with.

During the Holodomor in Ukraine, in the cities (which were not being intentionally starved), the Reds set up exchanges, and the starving people from the countryside would go to the cities, carrying anything they had of value, to try to trade for food. They weren't trading to get money/gold/silver, they were however trading it in if they had it, to get food.

In hyperinflation (Weimar, Argentina), people buy anything that will store value better than the currency. Gold, silver, even furniture, shoes....

In a nuclear war scenario, there probably won't be much use for silver or gold until some time later when people's basic needs have been secured. Water, food, medical supplies and bullets will have more value than gold or silver at that point because demand for the former will outpace demand for the latter.

Gold and silver will only have value IF there is some form of commercial civilization. The native Americans had little or no use for it, until the settlers came. The value of these metals will depend on how far the world regresses after a major SHTF.
Indians did use gold nuggets to make arrow heads and other tools. Same with copper nuggets. The benefits were; they were easier to work with than stone, and they would bend rather than break if they hit something hard like bone. A friend of mine found a gold spear point about 3" long.

Latest posts

Back