What got you into prepping?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliprepper95

Reaction score
What got you into prepping? Was is it a friend/family member, seeing what has been going lately with governments and such? I want you to tell me what got you into prepping? I think this is an interesting subject for others to talk about. I got into prepping because seeing what has been happening more and more lately, between politicians and government officials making life harder to where you cant even walk down the street without being profiled.

What got me to seriously start prepping was Typhoon Bopha that hit us in September 26, 2009. The whole of Metro Manila and nearby provinces were flooded. Some places had floods of several meters high. In my area in San Mateo, Rizal, water rose from 0m to 2.5m in 15 minutes. For approximately 1 week, everything was at a standstill. Then for another week, life was restored to about 50% normalcy with the rest becoming normal again after about 2 more weeks.

What got me to seriously start prepping was Typhoon Bopha that hit us in September 26, 2009. The whole of Metro Manila and nearby provinces were flooded. Some places had floods of several meters high. In my area in San Mateo, Rizal, water rose from 0m to 2.5m in 15 minutes. For approximately 1 week, everything was at a standstill. Then for another week, life was restored to about 50% normalcy with the rest becoming normal again after about 2 more weeks.
Wow I can't imagine what that must have been like!

It was hard but it was even harder since my right foot was injured (it got speared by the diamond shaped spike at the top of the gate as I was going down from the roof).
I pitied my daughter since she had just woke up and we were on the roof for almost twelve hours and she had had no food nor water the whole day.

Others were on their roofs for two days until rescue arrived. Rescue never arrived in our area. The roads were like raging rivers.

That has got to be one of the worst things anyone can experience. Being trapped on your own roof, while it chaos all around!

I come from a country lifestyle. Grew up hunting, fishing, gardening, canning our own food, raising livestock, etc... We did not call it prepping, it was just living our regular lives. Seems we always put away things to make sure we had them for tomorrow. I began to start prepping and I did not know it after I got married. It was just my way of taking care of my family. It was before prepping was even thought of. I bought what I could afford to in bulk to save money and be frugal. I stocked the shelves with food, water and did what I could to keep ahead so I could provide during the lean times. My entire family got a heightened sense to stock up due to Y2K. That was really the first time I heard the terms "prepper and prepping". Since that time my wife and I have prepped. We were prepping before prepping was even cool! We have not had a major catastrophe to go through to rely on our preps. A few ice storms, snow storms, power losses but nothing I would consider large scale or last more than 5 days. We have had financial set backs and things happen in life where our preps covered some bad times easing life a lot. I could not imagine going through life thinking everything is perfect and nothing will happen. The mentality people have is it wont happen to them when they watch the news. Its always the other guy. I have a brother in law like this. He thinks he will credit card his way out of everything, like everybody else........

I grew up the same way hunting, fishing, and in just the past few years, started stockpiling food. First it mostly started off as extreme couponing, then after about a year it turned into actual prepping. That was my parents. Me, I started off watching You tube, and watching videos on how to make survival kits and small altoids mint tin sized survival kit. Then a couple years later, I got my large Alice pack, then I got my LBV. And before I knew it my preps had just started growing little by little. Since I live in California, there are no major catastrophes that happen here, but it doesn't hurt to stayed prepared for whatever might come ahead. When Y2K was happening, or believed to happen I was just five years old, my dad said "oh there was just a bunch of crazy people back then" now he looks at prepping as not so much a priority but another way of life.

Cali,
If I lived in CA I would prep like crazy waiting for the next big super earthquake, LOL. I would stock up on self inflating rubber rafts so when the state falls into the Pacific Ocean you would have one! That's why I like WI, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tsunamis. Maybe an ice storm or snow or an occasional tornado but the damage is pretty small scale in relative terms next to an earthquake.

For me it was a realization that the governments are telling us what to do and we do it. I think that one person will rise up, then a massive world wide revolution

Cali,
If I lived in CA I would prep like crazy waiting for the next big super earthquake, LOL. I would stock up on self inflating rubber rafts so when the state falls into the Pacific Ocean you would have one! That's why I like WI, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tsunamis. Maybe an ice storm or snow or an occasional tornado but the damage is pretty small scale in relative terms next to an earthquake.
That is a good point, because I guess you never know. The next big one, could very well be the worst.

For me it was a realization that the governments are telling us what to do and we do it. I think that one person will rise up, then a massive world wide revolution
That is exactly what got me into prepping. Governments want to control you, and if there ever became a national emergency that caused, they would say oh we will take care of you...yeah right!

My problem with them is they control everything we do. I find it wrong and many others do. I want a nice shift with no problems but I doubt it. I think when a few super powers (USA, Canada, UK) go bankrupt (it will happen....eventually) we will take a beating

Caliprepper and Trapper,my upbringing was much like yours,hunting/fishing,gardening,etc. was (and still is) just the way of life.

But to the original question as to "what got me started prepping",it was waking up several years ago and realizing the whole world,not just our country,is going to hell in a hand basket.

We have become a fat and spoiled nation with nothing but corporate greed behind most every purchase we make.The vast majority is walking around with blinders on,spoiled in thinking we can never be touched,bad stuff always happens somewhere else,never here.Or they just don't care.

Our infastructure is failing,our economy is tanked and,I believe our military is not only spread too thin,but may be biting off more than it can chew.We are on too many war fronts at once,and these are just the one's we know about.

When people speak of how it's gonna be after shtf,I think to myself,there is hundreds of countries and millions of people that are living our worst fears right now,today,all over the world.The shit has already hit the fan for countless numbers of people.Why are we any different?

The main reason is earthquakes, and what comes with prepping is GEAR ! Who doesn't like gear . Really, prepping gives me piece of mind, knowing that i have done all i can to keep my family safe is what it is all about.

That has got to be one of the worst things anyone can experience. Being trapped on your own roof, while it chaos all around!

Actually we transferred to somebody else roof and we stayed under their ventilation stack (it had a small roof), we were 4 adults and 2 children (1 to 2 years of age)

I have actually have only started this prepping thing recently, I guess I started getting into prepping because I dont see much of an effort to really sustain....well anything anymore.
I feel the government is only looking at the here and now-with no regard for tomorrow. Politicians are worried about personal agendas rather than looking to what might happen in the future.
Agriculture is not as concerned as it should be about sustainability and issues related to global polution ect.
And I guess I really got into the research and projects for prepping when I got my own house- I am still rather young and never noticed how unstable almost every part of our society/culture is! Its definitely scary!!!
My generation and the younger generation are all being lead around like sheep-doing what they are told. OR they cant get off their damn phones and games long enough to do real work-I DONT WANNA BE LIKE THAT!!

I have decided to start prepping because of natural disasters and because of the economy and all the wonderous 'lies' that we're being told about how great its doing. Its NOT, but hey.. I'm not arguing about it with the sheeple. I'm just going to be prepared. And as Trapper said, it can also cover some hard times in your life due to loss of a job, or some major expendature of money you didn't expect. Mostly I'm doing it though because I believe the economy is going to collapse. I'm just starting out, so I know that I have a LOT to learn. We live far enough out that we won't have to bug out, so that will be nice. However, I want to be prepared for that, too.

Latest posts

Back