what food to start collecting

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Rich. There are some excellent resources to help you put together your own acquisition list but you'll find that most will recommend water, rice and dried beans to start with. Check out the threads in Prepping 101 and Food for ideas.

Hey, welcome. I personally started with canned soups, pastas and beans. Don't forget water. You can store quite a nbit of food in a maylar bag in a 5 gallon bucket. You can store multiples of one thing or multiple different things. Getting things that won't go bad any time soon. Some things include: rice, wheat and beans. Look around though, others have better plans than me, I stick to comercially canned foods.

Welcome! Cheap and easy preps are indeed rice and Beans. Add on oats! I buy a can of dehydrated veg. Once a month. I stocked 150 boxes of hamburger helper. Put them in mason jars with either dehydrated chicken, beef, or mixed veg. Not all hamburger helper meals require meat. Get creative. I bought 60 boxes of spaghetti and they fill a 5 gallon bucket. I can my ow spaghetti sauce with meat in the sauce. Get a pressure canner and grow your own Vegs, soups, stews, etc. Can them! I want to get a food dehydrator so I can dehydrate my own.

spaghetti and forms of other pasta is great..especilly when you have diffrent ways of fixing each one..just the other day,i prepared 1 pound of spiral pasta with one can of fiasta nacho cheese soup and 2 cans of tuna..only thing about that.is there's only 2 of us here.so thats gonna last a week,if not longer.and that aint good if electric goes out and you gotta keep whats not eaten cold.or when you have to bug out to where there's no electric tobin with..so limit the size of meals to what will be eaten..

Sounds like a good meal though! Ill have to try that. Since we are a family of four, I'm able to can whole meals with no leftovers.

it is good..matter of fact..i gotta admit that it turned out better then i thought it would.. :) yes i amazz my self at times when it comes to what i come up with at times..lol

couponing and stock pileing can go togeather..just a matter of keeping track of what you already have.then use what coupons you need for every day shoping and for stock pileing at the same time..no one will be the wiser when it comes to who you dont want to know about you prepping..

Hello, Hey guys im new to prepping and i was wondering what food should i start storing.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Stockpiling during coupon special deals like Super Doubles at Lowes Foods or Krogers Mega Deals is hilarious. Everyone walking around pushing carts and everyone has a coupon binder. Preppers blend in. I have gone o Lowes Foods this week for super doubles and picked up Spam singles in Mylar pouches for .19¢ each, Neosporine for .99¢ each. Dollar tree has banana boat SPF 30. Coupon makes them free. Walgreens has Purex buy one get two free. There are coupons for $1 each one. Use 3 coupons making the laundry detergent $1 each. I live in South Carolina, sunscreen is a must.

always make sure the food you buy is food that yall eat on a daily,weekly monthly basis..and always rotate.that way you know there will always be food there that yall will eat..learn canning if you havent already..it's cheaper to can then buying store food every time..

wow, thanks everyone!! im going to try out couponing and getting some 5 gallon buckets to store food in. right now i only got a 7 gallon jug of water stored that i got about a week ago.

Lol triple post :p coupons are great. I bought my bow, 10 arrows, target and spare equipment for less then the cost of the bow due to coupons

Check the bakery departments of your local grocery stores for buckets. I get varying sizes from Lowes Foods. Free!

Check into couponing sites that specialize in your area. You'll find some stores are more "coupon-friendly" than others, meaning their coupon policies may allow you to double-up, etc.

For example, say there is a $.50 manufacturer coupon for a bag of beans, and a $1.00 store coupon for the same brand of beans. A coupon friendly store will let you use both, so you'd save $1.50 on that bag of beans. Of course, if you get 10 bags of beans, you now just saved $10.50. (assuming they allow you to use multiples, etc.). So, that's what I mean by coupon-friendly store. For an average couponer, expect to spend about an hour to two before a big grocery trip. More extreme couponers spend hours readying for the trip, but of course, save much more.

We typically shave about 45%-65% on average off our bill with coupons....depending on the deals and coupons. So not doing them is like throwing money out the window.

Gazrok, you are correct. Coupon friendly stores get first attention! Don't pass up pharmacies either. First aid supplies aren't cheap BUT you can save a great deal with coupons. Especially the "buy three first aid get the free kit" cause that empty bag has a booklet inside filled with coupons for more first aid stuff. Krogers has stopped doubling coupons and they recently bought Harris Teeter so that could impact their coupon policy. Free is better than cheap and cheap is better than retail. Never pay retail!

It's funny, I tried to think if there was anything I pay retail for...the only thing I can think of is gas and horse feed for the most part. Just about everything else, I get some kind of discount, whether it's coupons, bartering, paying cash, shopping sales, etc. Technically, I pay cash for gas, so that's kind of getting a discount at some stations. Sure some grocery items of course, but on the overall bill, I save. I barter for things, love bargain stores, shopping online, thrift/pawn shops, etc. Don't get me wrong, some things, you get what you pay for, so I appreciate quality too, but I still look for a way to save something on it.

Welcome Rich. There are some excellent resources to help you put together your own acquisition list but you'll find that most will recommend water, rice and dried beans to start with. Check out the threads in Prepping 101 and Food for ideas.

Right smack on the head, LW!

A warm welcome, Rich!

Latest posts

Back