What do you sharpen with ?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt 1911

Swiss army knives / multi tools
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345341957.202161.jpg
. Let's see some pic's

Here are a few options. 1) ceramic rods ( my favorite ) . 2) Smith and Wesson ( oval one ) is nice because it has a diamond rod for serrated knives. 3) The Gerber (square one) and the smith and Wesson are around 10.00 bucks. Great for the (GHB) get home bag.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345354017.724222.jpg

Here are a few options. 1) ceramic rods ( my favorite ) . 2) Smith and Wesson ( oval one ) is nice because it has a diamond rod for serrated knives. 3) The Gerber (square one) and the smith and Wesson are around 10.00 bucks. Great for the (GHB) get home bag.View attachment 22
Thanks for the info.
I do need to get one as I have some seriously dull knives

Thanks for the info.
I do need to get one as I have some seriously dull knives
I use the Lansky deluxe sharpening kit it comes in a handy hard box, it is a little steep at$50 but is realy worth the money spent. What i found helpful is that the company does sharpening stones for just about any knife and just about any body can use it and not trash the blade.

I use the Lansky deluxe sharpening kit it comes in a handy hard box, it is a little steep at$50 but is realy worth the money spent. What i found helpful is that the company does sharpening stones for just about any knife and just about any body can use it and not trash the blade.
check this out

Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying $50.00 if the quality is there. I figure I would spend less in the long run for buying more quality items. Not that there isn't some expensive stuff that is actually junk, i.e. Brookstone and Sharper Image.

tbh i really need to get a real sharpener, exspecially for my serated knives, but for now i use my kitchen knife sharpener.
you know, the one that looks almost like a rat tail file?
not my 1st choise but hey it works for now.

Here is the real secret to sharpening a knife. I may even include some diagrams with this one. When a knife is truly sharp you can't really even feel the edge when you run your finger down it, and when it cuts you it comes as a big surprise. Having worked in machine shops for about ten years I spent a lot of time working with metal. Assuming you have a knife made of good hard steel the first step is the bevel or angle on the edge generally speaking something about 60% should work fine. The real trick is in the stropping of the blade You always want to pull the edge across the stone or sharpening medium just like you were slicing through something. Never drag a blade in a reverse direction over the stone . It curls the steel up and back over the blade basically giving you a useless edge. OK Here's the part you want to watch

knifedge.png

The stone you use actually cuts the steel as you are dragging the blade over it, it is leaving gouges and groves in the steel. the courser the stone you use the more severe the gouges and grooves. If you are using a ceramic stone you can generally get a very polished edge. An edge so smooth that it produces no drag when you run your finger down the edge. So when it cuts you it surprises the MmmHmm out of you. Another good thing for putting that finishing touch to a blade is a porcelain toilet or old style bathroom sink. Also in old construction they used to use these ceramic insulators in the walls to run the wiring through, they work very well. Watch for houses being demoed especially in California. Another good option is a Chinese water stone these are truly excellent.

And BTW serrated edges are not very good for sharpening. In fact they're useless. Probably the worst idea anyone ever came up with. It's a great gimmick for the Knife companies reshaping knives no one can sharpen.

In a SHTF scenario serrated edges will quickly become useless as they get to dull to cut anything and there are no machine shops to sharpen them. I suppose you can sharpen them if you come up with specially shaped hones. What a pain, no thanks.

And BTW serrated edges are not very good for sharpening. In fact they're useless. Probably the worst idea anyone ever came up with. It's a great gimmick for the Knife companies reshaping knives no one can sharpen.

In a SHTF scenario serrated edges will quickly become useless as they get to dull to cut anything and there are no machine shops to sharpen them. I suppose you can sharpen them if you come up with specially shaped hones. What a pain, no thanks.
I am with you on the serrated, hate them.

might be a good idea to actually have a knife sharpening post,,, like "teach the others little tricks you've learned" . like one of my little tricks ( i picked up from some bikers back when i drove a cab) was to roll down the window, and use the top of the glass.

might be a good idea to actually have a knife sharpening post,,, like "teach the others little tricks you've learned" . like one of my little tricks ( i picked up from some bikers back when i drove a cab) was to roll down the window, and use the top of the glass.
Roll with it, post it . I am in

I can't stand them either. They are useless in my book.

I just got this at Harbor Freight for $ 7.99. It's a 3 sided Sharpening Stone (Item # 94396)
Gray-120 grit; A/O (Carbon Steel)
White-240 Grit; A/O (Stainless steel/fine finishing)
Green- S/C (Carbide and other hard materials)

Sharpening Stone 1.JPG

Sharpening Stone 2.JPG

Latest posts

Back