What are your thoughts about premade long term food kits?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 months supply of food is good..but,you might want to think about 2 things.1st is.just like the rest of us.you have the non growing season to think of..(winter).2nd is..getting the seeds planted,then the wait of waiting for said crops to start producing the crops.plus and even then.they'll most and like wont be producing enough for 3-4 people or more at first..so you might want to think about a 1 year supply of food..

6 months supply of food is good..but,you might want to think about 2 things.1st is.just like the rest of us.you have the non growing season to think of..(winter).2nd is..getting the seeds planted,then the wait of waiting for said crops to start producing the crops.plus and even then.they'll most and like wont be producing enough for 3-4 people or more at first..so you might want to think about a 1 year supply of food..

6 months worth is just what I keep in the house. The barn is full as well with buckets of rice, pasta, corn, and beans. So I think I have it covered. I was stating that the person with 6 weeks worth needs to realize you can't live off that until when crops get ready to pick. I know peas are fast and radishes, but you can't live off those for months, and if it's winter time you really can't live off that 6 weeks of food. I also raise chickens so I have plenty of food here. As well as hubby and myself both hunt.

i believe in a system of multiple fall backs.

Definitely a good strategy.

For me:

Replenishment Fruits/Veggies - fruit trees, berry bushes, gardens
Replenishment Meats/Protein - chickens, eggs, rabbits

Long Term Fruits/Veggies - home canned and store canned
Long Term Meats/Protein - home canned, dehydrated
Long Term Dry Goods - food buckets, store canned, survival powdered dairy, bulk seasonings

Ongoing Fruits/Veggies - collecting and using stored seeds to continue crops
Ongoing Meats/Protein - fish, birds, occasionally deer, rabbits, and boars in the area, frogs (will never run out of frogs), snakes, possum, racoon, lots of possibilities here.

@hlrive get some practice too. cleaning the fish and cooking it :)
Been doing that since I was 6 years old. I think I know how to gut out fish now. The hard part in Maine when hubby and I was living there was trying to change a diaper and bottle feed another baby while cleaning the fish and cooking it.:p When you can perfect that, then you can join the club.:D Multi tasking at it's best. However I do want to learn how to spear fish this coming year. I have used a bow before got 2 fish but took about 100 tries to catch on how it was done the right way.

oh ok :D..someone else's bad move on my part..lol
Not a problem. I just didn't think they had enough they said 6 weeks worth of food. That wont last a whole winter, and if you got kids 6 weeks of food will only last 3 weeks:D

I actually tell people there is only one way to do things, take a trial month and don't go to the store for anything. We have done this for 3 years in a row. We found where issues were and fixed the issues. However medicines are the bigger issues.

Definitely a good strategy.

For me:

Replenishment Fruits/Veggies - fruit trees, berry bushes, gardens
Replenishment Meats/Protein - chickens, eggs, rabbits

Long Term Fruits/Veggies - home canned and store canned
Long Term Meats/Protein - home canned, dehydrated
Long Term Dry Goods - food buckets, store canned, survival powdered dairy, bulk seasonings

Ongoing Fruits/Veggies - collecting and using stored seeds to continue crops
Ongoing Meats/Protein - fish, birds, occasionally deer, rabbits, and boars in the area, frogs (will never run out of frogs), snakes, possum, racoon, lots of possibilities here.

This spring I am going to be planting some blueberry bushes, and I hope at the least 2 apple trees. As for the ongoing meats, I would take possum and coon off that, both can have rabies so better off staying away from the potential chance of getting it. I have tons of birds around my yard, along with many squirrels, many rabbits coming and going as well. So even if I had to get food from just my yard I can.

Been doing that since I was 6 years old. I think I know how to gut out fish now. The hard part in Maine when hubby and I was living there was trying to change a diaper and bottle feed another baby while cleaning the fish and cooking it.:p When you can perfect that, then you can join the club.:D Multi tasking at it's best. However I do want to learn how to spear fish this coming year. I have used a bow before got 2 fish but took about 100 tries to catch on how it was done the right way.

im wanting to get one of those cross bows for fishing...i seen a couple of guys traveling a river in a flat bottom boat once.they each had a cross bow with a fishing reel and line attached to them...and the line was attached to the arrow in some way...and they were pretty great at getting the fish that way..

Possum and coon wouldn't be my first choices, but nonetheless possibilities vs. starvation.

id at least save the skin if i got a possum or/and a racoon..and of course learn the best way(s) of killing the parasites n all thats be on them..

I have bowfished with a compound and spinning reel atached rather than the big spools that are suposed to be for bow fishing . Lots of fun and productive once you get the hang of it . I bowfished from the bank on a creek that ran into the river . Prowl the bank in camo or dark clothes watching for big fish aim slightly low because of the bending effect the water has on vision . Fish have good eyesight and can feel movement if you step to hard . And bowfished from a boat on the river and lake . I am thinking about setting up a recurve with a actual bowfishing reel that will be another hobbie I don't have enough time for but just going a couple of time a year will keep up the practice as a prepper skill .

I have bowfished with a compound and spinning reel atached rather than the big spools that are suposed to be for bow fishing . Lots of fun and productive once you get the hang of it . I bowfished from the bank on a creek that ran into the river . Prowl the bank in camo or dark clothes watching for big fish aim slightly low because of the bending effect the water has on vision . Fish have good eyesight and can feel movement if you step to hard . And bowfished from a boat on the river and lake . I am thinking about setting up a recurve with a actual bowfishing reel that will be another hobbie I don't have enough time for but just going a couple of time a year will keep up the practice as a prepper skill .

It was fun going bow fishing. Sort of makes it a bit different then the same old same old but when you want to fish you never know if a hook will be around. Lots of times I do hand fishing where you just have a small piece of wood with string attached and a hook. I try everything when possible. I tried as a kid to catch a fish with my bare hands still haven't caught one. However I am sure if I had the time I could figure it out. It was fun though trying as a kid. I think my cousin and I laughed more those days when we use to try doing that, then we ever have in our lifetimes.

I tried as a kid to catch a fish with my bare hands still haven't caught one. However I am sure if I had the time I could figure it out.

Yup, either the kinds of fish I was trying to catch were too fast (bream and bass) or I was too slow...or maybe a combination. I did manage to corner one in shallow water once though. But trying to snatch them out of deeper water was futile.

We were able to in Alaska, but if you were smart, you wore fishing gloves, as their fins could slice you up pretty good. I remember it being technically against the rules though....wasn't considered to be "sportsman like"...

As far as apple trees I had several most were killed by boring beattles one year when I didn't spray them but 1 was a late yellow apple that was resistant to them and it floweed so late that there was no chance of freeze . We had a very rainy spring one year and a storm with high winds came through and up rooted it . I still have 1 apple tree that has been hear for genarations that is a cooking type apple simalar to a Granny Smith but the apples are green and red and sweeter than Granny Smith . It seems resistant to most anything it is probly near 100 years old and has had a volanteer tree come up beside it . I think I mentioned the ancient Pear tree in another thread I started a young tree from it and transplanted it this fall it seems to be doing good .

Apples are tricky here in Central FL, but there are at least 3 varieties that can do it here, and they cross-pollinate, so putting in at least 3 of them (plus not only do we like apples, but so do the horses and the bunnies (just be sure they don't get the core)). Pear trees seem to do well here, so though none of us are big on them, we will still eat some, can extras, and give some away. We already give away excess tangerines, but I can see us doing that with oranges, limes, and lemons, and avocados eventually, after we get those in and going full bore.

In Maine we always had apple trees around, and many could be found in the woods where old farms use to be. My dad use to do his best hunting every fall at an old orchard that had been closed for 20+ years and everything was growing up around it. My dad would hunt and us kids would pick apples to take home for mom to make apple pies, and jelly with. Of course we normally didn't go back the following day with our dad because we had eaten so many apples the day before we had to stay close to the bathroom.:rolleyes:

I agree with most of what was said here. Long term food storage such as freeze dried should be a part of your preps but not what you rely on totally.
I would not recommend purchasing ready made meals. When they put all that stuff together they add salt and preservative to sustain the meal. No thanks.
We purchase our freeze dried food products individually. This way there is no added anything.
We also can our own foods, grown garden fresh, and can hunt. Never rely on only one source.
We keep at least 3 yrs of freeze dried per person. Several years of canned foods, and are improving our gardening skills every year. This year we are adding another 1/4 acre to the existing garden.
We are constantly adding to the ability to water the gardens. Watering a garden in a dry spell takes a lot of water. I realized this when I used all the water from our rain catchment system in only three watering's. I blame part of this on the raised beds. They seem to use a lot more water than in-ground plants. I believe it is because the raised beds allow the water to drain away faster.
Anyway, back to the original subject. Freeze dried foods can be very good depending on the brands you purchase. Try out some of them and see which one you prefer. You can order small amounts in little mylar pouches to sample before you buy the larger #10 cans. Its not as bad as you might think.

I agree with most of what was said here. Long term food storage such as freeze dried should be a part of your preps but not what you rely on totally.
I would not recommend purchasing ready made meals. When they put all that stuff together they add salt and preservative to sustain the meal. No thanks.
We purchase our freeze dried food products individually. This way there is no added anything.
We also can our own foods, grown garden fresh, and can hunt. Never rely on only one source.
We keep at least 3 yrs of freeze dried per person. Several years of canned foods, and are improving our gardening skills every year. This year we are adding another 1/4 acre to the existing garden.
We are constantly adding to the ability to water the gardens. Watering a garden in a dry spell takes a lot of water. I realized this when I used all the water from our rain catchment system in only three watering's. I blame part of this on the raised beds. They seem to use a lot more water than in-ground plants. I believe it is because the raised beds allow the water to drain away faster.
Anyway, back to the original subject. Freeze dried foods can be very good depending on the brands you purchase. Try out some of them and see which one you prefer. You can order small amounts in little mylar pouches to sample before you buy the larger #10 cans. Its not as bad as you might think.
I really like he part you stated, "never rely on only one source". That's kind of any prepping goal. I think being able to replenish your supplies is the number on goal for me. Anyone can, and should, have a food and water supply built up for an emergency, but what do you do if it's destroyed or looted? Having a way, and the knowledge, to sustain yourself long term is my primary goal. I didn't know squat about gardening five years ago, but through trial and error get better each year. I always thought I could just read about something and go do it. I've learned thought, actually practicing it in the real world usually shows you a lot that wasn't explained. There's a lot more to eating fresh veggies than just putting a seed in the ground and keeping it watered.

Latest posts

Back