what are your prepping goals for the next year (or two)?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely get some more Gear, I have a Bug Out Bag (empty) a few pocket knives, 1 survival knife. I'd like to get some B.O.B gear. and maybe sit down and actually map out a plan based upon various scenarios.

Definitely get some more Gear, I have a Bug Out Bag (empty) a few pocket knives, 1 survival knife. I'd like to get some B.O.B gear. and maybe sit down and actually map out a plan based upon various scenarios.

Your certainly on the right track! Determine your local hazard, knowledge of your environment for foraging, your physical fitness (limitations) and apply that to your bags content. I would base the plan around water sources (lakes, streams and rivers) not necessarily around scenarios. In my case I have three locations I can head to regardless of scenario. However you plan just make sure water is number one in your planning stage ;)

Your certainly on the right track! Determine your local hazard, knowledge of your environment for foraging, your physical fitness (limitations) and apply that to your bags content. I would base the plan around water sources (lakes, streams and rivers) not necessarily around scenarios. In my case I have three locations I can head to regardless of scenario. However you plan just make sure water is number one in your planning stage ;)
Good advice about water. It's probably the number one mistake most peppers make. People spend loads of money on weapons, gear and food, but not on water storage or filtration. Lack of clean water will stop you faster than anything else. There's a show called naked and afraid on tv. They drop off a man and woman, naked, out in the middle of nowhere and see if they can survive for 21 days. I find it amusing at how bad these 'experts' are. The lack of water is the fastest way to become confused, lethargic or sick. It's the first thing these contestants should be looking for, yet many opt to build shelters, hike, etc before, only increasing their need for water.

i've seen naked and afraid before..and there is loads of stupidity in that show.and your right.water is the first thing to look for..then,and only then,build a shelter of some kind,close to it.or gather and purify the needed water,and then move on..

i've seen naked and afraid before..and there is loads of stupidity in that show.and your right.water is the first thing to look for..then,and only then,build a shelter of some kind,close to it.or gather and purify the needed water,and then move on..
I actually enjoy the show. There are some good ideas, and it's easy to sit back in your armchair and critique the dumb moves some of them make. Maybe it's good to see some of those we can learn from so as not to be repeated.

I watched the show the other day, and these idiots nearly froze to death. Have to admit though, they started out in a really crappy locale for it.

That's the nice thing about the climate here. No real danger of that...maybe like a handful of days a year around freezing temps.

I love this thread, because it keeps reminding me HOW BEHIND I keep falling, lol.

Basically, by year's end, plans are:

1) Have the garden going (including rain catchment watering, and fencing)
2) Have the herb garden done (including koi pond)
3) Have more water storage barrels (including some in stables)
4) Have more food storage space allocated and organized
5) Have fruit trees planted

Had to cut down the list to those items, as other household things going on this year too

1) Need to move my daughter into our ranch gal's former room (so tile, paint, etc.)
2) Need to paint the exterior of the house and garage (including pressure washing)
3) Need to divide the main pasture with fencing, gate
4) Need to finish interior murals in the house
5) Buildout of the ManCave

Plans for next year:

1) Put in a partially sunk above-ground pool (with partial deck and outdoor kitchen area) - this is such a major project (both in time and money). While for fun, it's also a HUGE backup water supply for bathing, washing, etc.
2) Backup generator for some power
3) Fuel storage drums with a dispenser hose

I watched the show the other day, and these idiots nearly froze to death. Have to admit though, they started out in a really crappy locale for it.

That's the nice thing about the climate here. No real danger of that...maybe like a handful of days a year around freezing temps.

I love this thread, because it keeps reminding me HOW BEHIND I keep falling, lol.

Basically, by year's end, plans are:

1) Have the garden going (including rain catchment watering, and fencing)
2) Have the herb garden done (including koi pond)
3) Have more water storage barrels (including some in stables)
4) Have more food storage space allocated and organized
5) Have fruit trees planted

Had to cut down the list to those items, as other household things going on this year too

1) Need to move my daughter into our ranch gal's former room (so tile, paint, etc.)
2) Need to paint the exterior of the house and garage (including pressure washing)
3) Need to divide the main pasture with fencing, gate
4) Need to finish interior murals in the house
5) Buildout of the ManCave

Plans for next year:

1) Put in a partially sunk above-ground pool (with partial deck and outdoor kitchen area) - this is such a major project (both in time and money). While for fun, it's also a HUGE backup water supply for bathing, washing, etc.
2) Backup generator for some power
3) Fuel storage drums with a dispenser hose
Yeah, looks familiar. My list is long and ever evolving. I just try to do something every day towards finishing something on it, no matter how small. I also like to bounce from one thing to another as I get bored. ADD I guess!

my list as well.it shrink.it grows.something gets removed,while 2 or more items gets added.and every time i look at it.i ask.what happen?

The new tractor just arrived and I ordered a new Miller Trailblazer engine driven welder today. It's 325 amp with 10,500 watt generator. The lumber for our new barn has been milled and is stacked and drying in town waiting our road to open. Our road still has some snow drifts, washouts and lots of mud. I can make it in with the 4 wheeler, but its still a couple of weeks before we can drive in with the truck and trailer. Next project is to repair the fence (about 10 miles worth) before we bring in the stock. Fortunately I brought in a couple hundred fence post last Fall.

Just getting back into the Community...sorry for not being available. Just a wee bit busy right now.

Anyhow, before spending money, check around the home, do you have some batteries, AA, AAA, that little pen light you might have gotten from some give away at a firearms or home and garden show. The box of matches, an old bic lighter, some cotton balls, Vaseline that you can dip the cotton balls in, a few Ziploc bags, zip ties, a small multi-tool, pens, sharpie....I am sure that some of this is lying in a cabinet or in the garage. You'd be surprised what you will find. My wife collects a lot of crap that I simply raid (oops don't tell). So before getting online, sure we all salivate over stuff the other guy has...but start slow, just keep adding.

Yes and a plan is very important, just make sure to exercise it and communicate it to loved ones...a plan is no good if your the only one that knows it.

Take care..

Just getting back into the Community...sorry for not being available. Just a wee bit busy right now.

Anyhow, before spending money, check around the home, do you have some batteries, AA, AAA, that little pen light you might have gotten from some give away at a firearms or home and garden show. The box of matches, an old bic lighter, some cotton balls, Vaseline that you can dip the cotton balls in, a few Ziploc bags, zip ties, a small multi-tool, pens, sharpie....I am sure that some of this is lying in a cabinet or in the garage. You'd be surprised what you will find. My wife collects a lot of crap that I simply raid (oops don't tell). So before getting online, sure we all salivate over stuff the other guy has...but start slow, just keep adding.

Yes and a plan is very important, just make sure to exercise it and communicate it to loved ones...a plan is no good if your the only one that knows it.

Take care..

I live with my older brother so pretty much everything I own is in my room, although we do have some batteries laying about somewhere, as well as some Ziploc bags. I have like 100 pens in my desk.. need to break out the notepad and pen and make a list..Lacking in Lighters and such though.

(Ha, your secret is safe with me!)

Thank you though, given me lots of gather and think about.

are the batteries rechargeable? or non rechargeable?i've learned/relearned,is that i save money by buying a battery charger and rechargeable batteries..it cost less then 1 cent to recharge 4 rechargeable batteries compared to buying 2 non-rechargeables for $3.00 to $6.00..

welcome back bob..
My wife collects a lot of crap that I simply raid (oops don't tell).
chin.gif

are the batteries rechargeable? or non rechargeable?i've learned/relearned,is that i save money by buying a battery charger and rechargeable batteries..it cost less then 1 cent to recharge 4 rechargeable batteries compared to buying 2 non-rechargeables for $3.00 to $6.00..

welcome back bob..
View attachment 5436

Hey Jim,

Well here is something I learned over the holidays from a friend out in New Mexico who I stopped into say hello. You could say, he is an old survivalist...did his tour in Vietnam and when his wife passed on, returned to his home state. Anyway, while the kids and wife were out enjoying themselves in Ruidoso, I decided to stop in and say my hello's, of course, took a bit of phone calls, as I simply didn't feel like getting a warm welcome with his 308 or 50 cal. As I said, old vet. Anyway, he showed me a quick gadget which now has been added to all eight of my kits...I even have one in the house for mom...just to recharge the odd Alkaline before she goes and finds a new one at the store. Preso magic...this thing works...I was a bit skeptic at first, but I've found out that if you decharge them through use..with a bit more...they work great.

I know your a big NiCad guy, but if you have this recharger, especially the ones that I bought off Amazon...they seem to work great and for about $25, you can store a few for your gear. Even one, will pay itself off in about 6 months..trust me, I've got the son, who lives off batteries for everything from game controllers. I've even got one for his college room. Daughter doesn't care to be that tekkie and doesn't go throught alkaline batteries as much, so not worth the trouble.

Anyway, I've posted a pic for all of those that are reading. I will try and work on a PDF on batteries and I've been tinkering around in my spare time some new batteries. This one is by Sierra Electric, but I like the ones I got from Maximal Power, they are a bit more rugged and tend to recharge just about any battery I have stocked in my Go-kits and gear bags.

Attachments

• 71fV75LLJZL._SL1466_.jpg
    71fV75LLJZL._SL1466_.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 2
I live with my older brother so pretty much everything I own is in my room, although we do have some batteries laying about somewhere, as well as some Ziploc bags. I have like 100 pens in my desk.. need to break out the notepad and pen and make a list..Lacking in Lighters and such though.

(Ha, your secret is safe with me!)

Thank you though, given me lots of gather and think about.

Irish....I placed a ton of PDF's about a year ago on the website...you might have to do some digging around since the website has gotten better and things were reorganized. I have been away for a bit due to my work and well family focus issues. However, with the school year winding down again, I will have more time to focus on my friends again on DPF and begin to add some new video's, pdf's and some reviews on material and weapons that I've acquired over the last year. Acquisition of new stuff has been slow after the oil recession has hit the pocket...but I still endeavor to add a few trinkets into the stores.

So if there is something your in need of as far as info, don't hesitate to give a shout. I will try very hard to find it for you. Hope all is well in Ole Virginia...my son just passed up a scholarship to UVA...nice place and he loves the Shenandoah, but a bit far for flights back to Texas.

welcome back bob..
View attachment 5436

By the way...its good to be back...still working like crazy and with state STAAR test next week, will be busy...but the light at the end of the tunnel is about 8 weeks away and then summer break. Have to paint the fence...that is about 600 boards of privacy fence to paint...replaced about 40 of them during Spring break..the old fashion way....with crow bar and hammer. Thank god I used the nail gun and compressor to place the new boards in. Can you believe fence contractors want an arm and a leg and the second born just to replace them. What is happening to America?

So good to be back and glad to see friends are still on here....

I also like to bounce from one thing to another as I get bored. ADD I guess!

Yep, bane of my lists too. That, and I'll run out of money on one project, but then get barter materials or found items for another, etc. I work on things as I can afford and prioritize them. As I've had to pour about $1000 into my truck lately....a few hundred for brakes, then another couple hundred for two new tires, kind of unforeseen expenses....kind of hinders things a bit, hehe.

Scavenged building materials have started many unplanned projects for me as well. Usually there's some kind of additional expense involved somewhere along the line though.

Scavenged building materials have started many unplanned projects for me as well. Usually there's some kind of additional expense involved somewhere along the line though.

Too true. I was happy when making the bunny habitat. All with scrounged wood, and some barter fencing I had, along with some leftover grid from the chicken coop.

The new mounting block we have was a barter arrangement with one of our boarders, so that was cool. I just helped put it all together and sunk into the ground, but they provided materials and some labor. Makes it way easier to get on horses (when you're older). I'll have to post a pic of it, came out nice. Steps and everything.

As I've stated before, my goals for the next year or two are to finish all the loose ended projects that I can. If you think it's hard or expensive to do projects now, think how much more difficult it will be after shtf. Anyways, I spent the day laying some more flooring on the porch I closed in. I really do not like installing flooring, but it's easier on my wallet if I do it myself! Unfortunately it's going to take 2 more days to finish installing, then I still have to sand and finish with polyurethane. I may finish by the year 2020. :). I really would rather have put in pre finished flooring but A; I had his allready and B; I want this to look like an old farm house, and this is more authentic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back