What are you working on RIGHT now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy fellow forum go'ers,

What is everyone working on currently?

Me, portable solar..
Ive been decking out my bug out camper trailer. running wiring, solar regulator etc so my 12V system can be charged. having issues with regulators but hopefully have sorted it.
Trying to make my camper as self sustainable, self reliant as possible.

-HVP

Just started on prepping but I have some prepper-friendly projects I have been working on like sewing my own clothing and stocking up on stuff for a planned trip to live without power and modern conveniences for two weeks. However, related to prepping, I am learning how to shoot and have started gun shopping for when I have money again in August. I'm also working with my husband to make a shopping list for making bug-out bags and making plans between us and a closely trusted friend and possibly my sister and her family if it is a situation where they can get to us (they live about 30-40 minutes away).

Since my current homebase is a condominium unit. Am working on additional areas of storage for my stocks. Haven't stored under the bed yet.

My one closet is already full. Water storage is actually a main problem for me but based on a 3L of drinking water per person per day (2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 toddler*), we have water stocks good for about 2 weeks. Am still trying to find a way to store more water considering the limited space.

*2L for the toddler

RIGHT now? Right now just keeping up with the weeds in the garden...Beans should be producing soon so I'll feast until I can't eat any more beans then can, dehydrate and pickle the remainder. I've been feasting on strawberries but I'm pretty strawberried out...need to start dehydrating most of the remaining harvest...I don't like frozen strawberries.

Otherwise, tending to everything else (squash, pie pumpkins, tomatoes, tomatillos, carrots, bell peppers, chiles, sweet potatoes, and kale etc)

Planning out what scenarios my wife and I will bug out or in for. Still have a lot to nail down and a few items to get to complete our bug out bags...

Right now I can't do much. My husband is the only one working right now, so if anything, I'm researching how I can use reclaimed wood to build things, and how to set this land up so that we can all bug-in sufficiently. If I can manage to find work, then my first goal since I can't plant a garden now, is to get a gun, get my concealed-carry license, and learn to shoot well.

Right now I'm working on my BOB, trying to make some easy MRE like kits. So far I have 10 meals done (they all look like this) noodles, hot chocolate, cup o soup, saltines, peanuts and electrolyte powder to aid to water. Next up, might finish today is to do a few breakfast ones, change the cup o soup and the noddles for some instant oatmeal and might go to store to pick up some other flavours of electrolyte powders (when I went they only had the one flavour)

Marquette, I'll mail you some seeds for a fall garden if you like.
y
Let's see at the moment,we are figuring out how in the heck to get a commercial oven set up going. I do believe it's going to take a small out building being put up and wired for it, because otherwise, the heat will run the rest of the house out. I need to figure out how to up my production of baked goods and the bottle neck is the oven.

I'm getting ready to supervise my 13 year old daughter's first go at canning beans. The tomatoes are fixing to come on strong. We won't can the Black Krim because I've learned from experience that the family tends to not eat purply-brown sauces, but being an heirloom and one of the dark shouldered ones, they will sell like house afire at market. The romas are going to come in really heavy this year too, which is good. I need to get plenty of sauce, salsa, catsup, and soup put up. The okra is fair, eating it as fast as it's picked. The potatoes are doing well.

I'm still on very limited access to my garden since I still have surgical sites on my foot healing, but dangit, I can sit on the outside of the fence and give orders!

Found a cheap supply of Solar Panels and Inverters (although am still questioning the quality coz as they say, you get what you pay for). Made in China. Am gonna build a test kit. Even if it is just enough to supply lights around the condo during disasters.

A 40W Panel would cost around $40.00.

Deciding where to mount it coz I don't have a balcony.

Marquette, I'll mail you some seeds for a fall garden if you like.
y
Let's see at the moment,we are figuring out how in the heck to get a commercial oven set up going. I do believe it's going to take a small out building being put up and wired for it, because otherwise, the heat will run the rest of the house out. I need to figure out how to up my production of baked goods and the bottle neck is the oven.

I'm getting ready to supervise my 13 year old daughter's first go at canning beans. The tomatoes are fixing to come on strong. We won't can the Black Krim because I've learned from experience that the family tends to not eat purply-brown sauces, but being an heirloom and one of the dark shouldered ones, they will sell like house afire at market. The romas are going to come in really heavy this year too, which is good. I need to get plenty of sauce, salsa, catsup, and soup put up. The okra is fair, eating it as fast as it's picked. The potatoes are doing well.

I'm still on very limited access to my garden since I still have surgical sites on my foot healing, but dangit, I can sit on the outside of the fence and give orders!

Hey Old Anorak!
Whats up with the surgical sites to the foot??? When did you get wounded? Geez, I miss everything?

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Had a horse accident several weeks back and had my foot wired back together. I am getting over an infection that set up around one of the wires.

Howdy fellow forum go'ers,

What is everyone working on currently?

Me, portable solar..
Ive been decking out my bug out camper trailer. running wiring, solar regulator etc so my 12V system can be charged. having issues with regulators but hopefully have sorted it.
Trying to make my camper as self sustainable, self reliant as possible.

-HVP
Today has been all about communications. I figure it is a wise choice should cell service be interrupted.

Don't forget the Faraday Cages for your comms.... unless we go back to those cans with a string :D

Had a horse accident several weeks back and had my foot wired back together. I am getting over an infection that set up around one of the wires.

Geez!!!
Was it that goldfish eating Saddlebred?? I told ya Saddlebreds just ain't wired right!!
Heal fast my Friend!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Spent the day canning up the last of the peas, made a canner of Salsa and one of pickled eggs! Yep, my boys actually eat em and love em!! Went through the pantry yesterday and pulled anything with a "within 3 months date" so that I can build our meals around those items. Made a new list of food stuffs that I would like to buy within the next month. I have spent the last 3 weekends hauling compost from the Mushroom Farm. They went out of business (another American owned business bites the dust) and I am able to buy a ton of mushroom compost for $15 and they load it!! I have 4 ton so far and may try to get another 2 before it is all gone. Amazing dirt!! This is great for the garden and flower beds. Picked up 2 more loads of tires for the garden...I love the free stuff! Hope to increase the garden size by a full third next year.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Geez!!!
Was it that goldfish eating Saddlebred?? I told ya Saddlebreds just ain't wired right!!
Heal fast my Friend!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Nope it was my Haflinger/Morgan gelding. It was my fault I suppose, we were riding along the river bank and I didn't even think about the floods having possibly hollowed holes out while the water was up. Bank collapsed under us. Horse is fine.:)

My current prepper project is getting the vegetable garden going. We'll start this in early September. I got some of the fencing I'll need and a gate, just need to get the rest of it and the wood for the raised boxes (just makes it easier to treat and harvest, and mow around). I'm also putting a rain barrel out there to help with watering. For one thing, it will be a good backup, for another, it will suffice until I can actually run a buried water line over there. There is a nearby faucet, but any hose would go right where the horses pass through to go out to the rear pasture, and I can't leave a hose there for them to trip on.

Naturally, we use composted horse manure. I swear, we have grass that came up in SAND, just from spreading some of that stuff around. In the past, we've been kind of black thumbs, but I think anyone can grow anything here. (we even had grass growing on our tractor's mower attachment...right on the metal!)

Horse is fine.
that's good to hear. :)

Latest posts

Back