What are you working on RIGHT now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from my BOL! All is set and ready to go just in case we have to go this weekend or next week. We only have electric here at the house, where as, our BOL has a fire place and wood. I think that it maybe possible with the next big storm system we may lose electric. ( Calling for Ice)

It would be good to go there anyway, I could get some things done. All I did is move more wood undercover and inside to make sure it is dry!

I just got back from my BOL! All is set and ready to go just in case we have to go this weekend or next week. We only have electric here at the house, where as, our BOL has a fire place and wood. I think that it maybe possible with the next big storm system we may lose electric. ( Calling for Ice)

It would be good to go there anyway, I could get some things done. All I did is move more wood undercover and inside to make sure it is dry!
I think it's great having a second place. How far is it from your home? I had a cabin here in ga. For years and used it as a vacation play place. I would spend half my time playing and half working on the cabin or property. Well I finally moved here and now I guess I'm living in my Bol.

So you're telling me you just got about 1000lbs of fresh farm raised beef, need a roommate? I bet I could polish that off in about a month! Who needs side dishes with steak.
I'll be getting in between 900-1000 lbs of beef, but it wont be ready for another month and a half. As for Porkchop that we just picked up, the hams alone weighed 38 lbs apiece. They had to go thru the curing/smoking process twice. Thank goodness my guy cut them into 8 different hams. A normal sized family only needs to butcher 1 cow and 1 pig for the whole year. We end up sharing our meat with both of our moms and then send some home with the boys to go to their families. Since our pigs can have up to 3 litters a year, we just sell off all of them except one boar that we save to fatten up. Selling piglets are surprisingly very easy to do. We posted an ad in a free classified and we had all of them sold within just a few day. Hunny took Porkchop in with one of his friends so all of the porkchops I got back are 1 1/2 in thick. . . that's a man for you ;)

Congratulations on a ready to go BOL location! A fireplace and plenty of wood is so good for the heart on a COLD day. . . .plus you can at least cook at your fireplace it if need be. We have gone without electricity (unfortunately, we can't get gas where we live, although I have been considering propane) for a couple weeks. We did end up having to cook over our fireplace a few times. Even if you don't lose your electric, you should go anyway and stay for a few days. That way you can see what you maybe missing at your BOL. Better to make some trial runs before the real thing!

I'll be getting in between 900-1000 lbs of beef, but it wont be ready for another month and a half. As for Porkchop that we just picked up, the hams alone weighed 38 lbs apiece. They had to go thru the curing/smoking process twice. Thank goodness my guy cut them into 8 different hams. A normal sized family only needs to butcher 1 cow and 1 pig for the whole year. We end up sharing our meat with both of our moms and then send some home with the boys to go to their families. Since our pigs can have up to 3 litters a year, we just sell off all of them except one boar that we save to fatten up. Selling piglets are surprisingly very easy to do. We posted an ad in a free classified and we had all of them sold within just a few day. Hunny took Porkchop in with one of his friends so all of the porkchops I got back are 1 1/2 in thick. . . that's a man for you ;)
My mouth is watering! I noticed you said freezers, as in more than one, now I know why! I think that's really cool that two animals can feed you most of the year, and healthily. I'm leaning more towards a cow than goat after reading your wonderful posts! Well see, either way I need to get a building I have closed in for a barn/shelter first. I discovered that my other female rabbit had a litter today, but all were dead. I didn't even know she was ready, so I had the male in with her and he probably drug them out of the nesting box. I guess from now on I will keep him separate and only let them have a date once in a while. The other mom is doing great and the babies are weaned and on solid food now. I'll have 8 barbecued bunnies in about 6 more weeks. Not quite as exciting as 1000lbs of beef, but a guy has to start somewhere! Wish you well.

I think it's great having a second place. How far is it from your home? I had a cabin here in ga. For years and used it as a vacation play place. I would spend half my time playing and half working on the cabin or property. Well I finally moved here and now I guess I'm living in my Bol.
It is 6 miles away! We bought the BOL before we bought our house. We use it for the same( fun/play/and BOL). With things getting more uneasy, we have been working on it a lot more. Moving closer has made it easier to keep up with. This year we are doing a garden at both locations! Figure that if it gets bad we are ready have a start of crops and if not we have extra for canning and freezing! that is the plan any ways!

So sorry to hear that about your bunny babies. . . I don't understand that about the males. I friend said that about my billy's too and that I needed to separate them out when the girls delivered, but I have never had either of my billys go after the babies. We do have to separate the boar out when our Sow has hers though.
It surprises me how fast babies tend to grow up! Didn't your rabbit just have those babies last week?? All ready weaned. . .wow! I know a kid goat can be weaned in a month - a month and a half time.

Congratulations on a ready to go BOL location! A fireplace and plenty of wood is so good for the heart on a COLD day. . . .plus you can at least cook at your fireplace it if need be. We have gone without electricity (unfortunately, we can't get gas where we live, although I have been considering propane) for a couple weeks. We did end up having to cook over our fireplace a few times. Even if you don't lose your electric, you should go anyway and stay for a few days. That way you can see what you maybe missing at your BOL. Better to make some trial runs before the real thing!

That is the plan! We have spent about a year and a few months on it! I like it! It is not much but will works for us! There are many things I would love to have there but got to stick with what has to be done first!

God bless you! That is wonderful that you have your animals and they it feeds you and yours for so long! I pray that you continue to have great success! Do you have other animals? Chickens? Goats?

That is the plan! We have spent about a year and a few months on it! I like it! It is not much but will works for us! There are many things I would love to have there but got to stick with what has to be done first!
Girl, stick with it. . . it does take time to set up, but you will be able to get what you want done eventually. It sounds like you have a great start and a good plan down the road! I love the idea of having a garden at both locations and since you are close, it's not to much out of the way. I love my garden space and it supplies so much in return!

It is 6 miles away! We bought the BOL before we bought our house. We use it for the same( fun/play/and BOL). With things getting more uneasy, we have been working on it a lot more. Moving closer has made it easier to keep up with. This year we are doing a garden at both locations! Figure that if it gets bad we are ready have a start of crops and if not we have extra for canning and freezing! that is the plan any ways!
Lucky you. My BOL is over 2,000 miles from here. It's mostly ready to go and I get out there and work on it whenever I can. We'll move there permanently in about 12-18 months, assuming that things hold together that long. We put in a new pond last year that's fed by a spring. This summer we'll plant some fish and fence out the cattle and drop a pump in the well.

Girl, stick with it. . . it does take time to set up, but you will be able to get what you want done eventually. It sounds like you have a great start and a good plan down the road! I love the idea of having a garden at both locations and since you are close, it's not to much out of the way. I love my garden space and it supplies so much in return!

Thank you for your kindness! I have been having a gut feeling that things are going to get harder and harder so prepping is more planed out. Like you my garden is my hobby! Trying the vertical garden this year. Oh my, but worth a try. Good luck with all that you do!

Lucky you. My BOL is over 2,000 miles from here. It's mostly ready to go and I get out there and work on it whenever I can. We'll move there permanently in about 12-18 months, assuming that things hold together that long. We put in a new pond last year that's fed by a spring. This summer we'll plant some fish and fence out the cattle and drop a pump in the well.

That is so wonderful that you have that! Planning is the way that things get done! You will get there and you will be able to do it in your time frame. Stay strong and keep on track. We need to work on many things there but that will come in time. Better to do it right than to do it half butt!:D Your pod is an wonderful resource being feed by the spring. I wish I had that!

God bless and stay strong

I think you're pretty wise, I really like the phrase '1 is none and 2 is 1'. Looks like you're working on getting that covered. Six miles is really good also, I've talked with people that have locations that are hours away by car. At least you can hike if necessary as roads may not be passable or safe one day. I'm still struggling with the bug out or in thing. I have a couple locations that are close and remote in mind, but being federal land I've done no prepperations there. On the other hand, I've done so much on my home and property that it would take a lot for me to leave. I'm also reasonably remote here too. I think it would take a radioactive disaster or something similar to get me to abandon this place. Do you have any plans to eventually move permanently there?

So sorry to hear that about your bunny babies. . . I don't understand that about the males. I friend said that about my billy's too and that I needed to separate them out when the girls delivered, but I have never had either of my billys go after the babies. We do have to separate the boar out when our Sow has hers though.
It surprises me how fast babies tend to grow up! Didn't your rabbit just have those babies last week?? All ready weaned. . .wow! I know a kid goat can be weaned in a month - a month and a half time.
I've read that the males want to get rid of babies so he can start breeding again, greedy little buggars! Well this one was my fault as I didn't realize how quick they breed! It is amazing that in three weeks the babies are pretty much able to go on their own now. Heck, I have a 25 yr old that's not ready to go completely on his own yet.

Have you experienced a winter there yet? Did you ever see the pbs show about dick perneckie? He spent a couple summers in a remote part of Alaska and loved it. When he was fifty yrs old he decided to go for the winter. He loved it so much he stayed for another 30 yrs. the only thing I didn't like is he was alone the whole time. He'll, he didn't even have a dog. I think with your mate and some animals it could be paradise, but I need some companionship to be content.

Latest posts

Back