What are you working on RIGHT now?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're pretty wise, I really like the phrase '1 is none and 2 is 1'. Looks like you're working on getting that covered. Six miles is really good also, I've talked with people that have locations that are hours away by car. At least you can hike if necessary as roads may not be passable or safe one day. I'm still struggling with the bug out or in thing. I have a couple locations that are close and remote in mind, but being federal land I've done no prepperations there. On the other hand, I've done so much on my home and property that it would take a lot for me to leave. I'm also reasonably remote here too. I think it would take a radioactive disaster or something similar to get me to abandon this place. Do you have any plans to eventually move permanently there?

Thank you Brent!:)We bought the land and small hunting cabin about a year and a half ago because of where it was located. Got a great deal! It is close to my sister's house and I have to be able to get to her and her kids! It is just a hunting, training, target practice area, and just a family get away place. We don't think that we will move there anytime soon. Have to stay close to town for now.

I commend you on your home! If I had that set up at my home, I would not leave either! I loved your pictures that you posted!

God bless and keep you and yours safe!!

Have you experienced a winter there yet? Did you ever see the pbs show about dick perneckie? He spent a couple summers in a remote part of Alaska and loved it. When he was fifty yrs old he decided to go for the winter. He loved it so much he stayed for another 30 yrs. the only thing I didn't like is he was alone the whole time. He'll, he didn't even have a dog. I think with your mate and some animals it could be paradise, but I need some companionship to be content.
First went to Alaska in 1975. Did some logging, mining, fishing, trapping and worked in the oilfields. It's a great State but too far from family. Our BOL is about 2500 miles south. We own a small valley in the mountains in a remote area with lots of timber (building materials, heat), wildlife (food) privacy and no neighbors.

First went to Alaska in 1975. Did some logging, mining, fishing, trapping and worked in the oilfields. It's a great State but too far from family. Our BOL is about 2500 miles south. We own a small valley in the mountains in a remote area with lots of timber (building materials, heat), wildlife (food) privacy and no neighbors.
Sounds fantastic, got any pictures? I've lived mostly in the south and think my blood might be to thin to handle the winters, but have heard it's amazing in the summer months. I don't think I've ever seen more than 6 inches of snow at one time! A guy I work with lived there for years, somewhere outside of anchorage I think, he was telling me you had to have heat strips on the doors of your home to keep them from freezing shut. Another interesting thing was they built on poles, because the ground stays frozen year round, and it was warmer to build off of it.

[quotrd, post: 30256, member: 1403"]Found a cheap supply of Solar Panels and Inverters (although am still questioning the quality coz as they say, you get what you pay for). Made in China. Am gonna build a test kit. Even if it is just enough to supply lights around the condo during disasters.

A 40W Panel would cost around $40.00.

Deciding where to mount it coz I don't have a balcony.[/quote]

Hey assumeing that 40w panel is 12V have the tools to acquire batteries. Cable cutters, battery pliers, wrenches...
Good luck, be safe, and Good bless

te="Arcticdude, post: 43511, member: 1046"]First went to Alaska in 1975. Did some logging, mining, fishing, trapping and worked in the oilfields. It's a great State but too far from family. Our BOL is about 2500 miles south. We own a small valley in the mountains in a remote area with lots of timber (building materials, heat), wildlife (food) privacy and no neighbors.[/quote]

Nice Argo!

Hey assumeing that 40w panel is 12V have the tools to acquire batteries. Cable cutters, battery pliers, wrenches...
Good luck, be safe, and Good bless

Yep, 12V. This would be more for charging devices. Nothing much.

right now im working on going through the stuff in front of my closet and be on closet floor for 2 reasons.1st to throw away the trash.2nd to pick out what i can sell on ebay..and hopefully that stuff will sell..plus,by doing this will give me floor space for prepping stuff.. i hope..:rolleyes:

I just started eBay'ing some of my junk for storage and money for prepping. If you haven't sold on eBay before, it might be a little confusing at first. Be especially careful that you use the shipping calculator correctly, or better yet, call your UPS or Post Office and ask them for a quote. For some reason eBay calculated 13.99 to ship the first guitar I sold and I didn't catch it until it was too late; cheapest I could send it off was for about fifty bucks so you can lose money on the shipping if you don't set it up right. eBay also charges a fairly small fee out of the sale.

i've used ebay before..what i did at first.was id take pics of said item.then package it up right.then take it to the post office n have um wheigh it.that way i post correct weight..but now i have my own scales to wheigh them my self now

Working on a under ground garage.

So far
I have a 40x20x16 feet deep hole dug.
Have a 38x20x2feet thick slab poured that's all so far trying to figure out what to do with the walls and roof.

When we move to the country, we're going to use a storage container for our underground bunker thingamajig. They're sturdy, and they have their own walls an roof built in. I'm not sure if you even need to put a slab down for one but we probably will just to be extra safe. Put it a few feet underground, work up an entrance from the house and another they exits to the grounds and we're all set.

I'm wanting to put winches latched to a platform to lower my gear through the roof, I'm thinking the inside walls are going to be half inch thick steel, with 12 inches of rebar and concrete on the out side that way the cement can't fall through. I have 3 fourwheelers a tractor and 2 vehicles I'm wanting to store a shipping container just isn't big enough

Ahh, indeed not haha. I've seen people put several of them together but sounds like you've got a solid plan there.

Re-arranging the closets to make more space for the incoming supplies and gear

Canvassing solar equipment for the farm.

Re-arranging the closets to make more space for the incoming supplies and gear

Canvassing solar equipment for the farm.
It's not too expensive to set up a panel and charger for one task like a pump or something, it's a major undertaking to set up your whole house. I'm looking at another type of battery that's better for solar storage. It's an evergreen sweeper, I think l 16. I'll let you know about cost vs longer life as I learn about it more. Be well

It's not too expensive to set up a panel and charger for one task like a pump or something, it's a major undertaking to set up your whole house. I'm looking at another type of battery that's better for solar storage. It's an evergreen sweeper, I think l 16. I'll let you know about cost vs longer life as I learn about it more. Be well

The set-up at the farm would be quite large since I have to power up the whole house and make it fully offgrid. This would also entail making new wiring for 12V lights and appliances.

We have a local battery brand called MotoLite and they recently have a model called the SolarMaster designed for Solar installations.

Will post updates from time to time.

Be Safe Always...

The set-up at the farm would be quite large since I have to power up the whole house and make it fully offgrid. This would also entail making new wiring for 12V lights and appliances.

We have a local battery brand called MotoLite and they recently have a model called the SolarMaster designed for Solar installations.

Will post updates from time to time.

Be Safe Always...
I'd be interested to learn what you find out. I'm not able to do the solar setup here yet, hopefully next year, but am starting to learn all I can for it.

Am also in the learning stage. bunch of research and asking friends of mine in the know

Latest posts

Back