What are you going to use for serious pain meds...possible surgery?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Albert

Reaction score
People will get hurt and some seriously after the collaspe. Pharmacies will be empty. What do you plan to use when someone is wounded? I wonder if I should start growing poppies.

Anyone serious about prepping, and can afford it, I'd recommend taking an EMT course, nowadays you can do up to EMT intermediate online, the certificate is not credible for employment purposes without 96 hours of onsite testing (most states) but the information given is all the same. But too your post, I think getting any real pain killers is not possible for most of us, as they are a controlled substance. If you have any home remedies I'd love to hear them.

Anyone serious about prepping, and can afford it, I'd recommend taking an EMT course, nowadays you can do up to EMT intermediate online, the certificate is not credible for employment purposes without 96 hours of onsite testing (most states) but the information given is all the same. But too your post, I think getting any real pain killers is not possible for most of us, as they are a controlled substance. If you have any home remedies I'd love to hear them.
That's a good idea, I was thinking I might take EMT training. I was hoping someone on the site might give me some ideas about Meds. I know they used alcohol way back when but it doesn't come close to something that would knock you out for surgery.

People will get hurt and some seriously after the collaspe. Pharmacies will be empty. What do you plan to use when someone is wounded? I wonder if I should start growing poppies.
Depending on how long the collapse goes on for, we will probably go back to biting the proverbial bullet, after a couple of belts of whiskey.

There are certain herbs that can induce a semi comatose state. I am studying about this.

Many meds that we commonly use are plant derivatives.

Anyone want to be my Guinea pig for testing purposes?? Lol

Would love to find out what your results are, but not willing to be your Guinea pig girl! What plants are you studying to induce a semi comatose state?

willow bark has a pain relief quality...like aspirin...nothing serious. Capsaicin (what makes chili peppers hot) can ease pain in joints/nerve pain...just have a care so you don't get it into ANY orifice...it'll burn like a mother. That is all I know.

Kava-kava (Piper methysticum) combined with valerian induces a semi-comatose state. I don't yet know dosages or durations. I'm just learning. I'll share when i know more. DON'T try this at home, kids!

Numerous plants have sedative action. Plants commonly prescribed as aids in promoting sleep include: passionflower (Passiflora incarnata), hops (Humulus lupulus), valerian (Valeriana officinalis), skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora), and chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla). Some can cause a deep sleep that would be helpful while working on a family member who is a bit excitable. Catnip can help with small children aswell.

Note: Use your head while using these, and find a damn good book to help you out. To much can kill!!

Chicknladee said:
willow bark has a pain relief quality...like aspirin...nothing serious. Capsaicin (what makes chili peppers hot) can ease pain in joints/nerve pain...just have a care so you don't get it into ANY orifice...it'll burn like a mother. That is all I know.​
I hate burning orfices.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That whole exchange made my gizzard shiver. Ugh!

Research update: Poppies as I first suggested seems to be a good avenue. What I am reading is it is okay to own and grow opium poppies as long as you don't try to make meds out of them. I see them on many web sites. Let me scratch my wooly head. Okay, let's go on. Opium produces oxycodone, oxycontin and percoset. The proper term is Papaver Sommferum, if I got it right and we can stock pile this as long as it is in seed form or just flowers. With this you can produce opium and herion. The key and from I have read, to all would be producers after the collaspe, is knowing the dosage.
(Again I suggest experimenting on an inlaw that you don't like.)
At this time I would like to interject that what is illegal right now will not be when the collaspe comes because there will be no law. We are talking about survival. I am not advocating breaking laws now...just use your own judgement. I am not a drug user, in fact I hate taking OTC drugs if I don't have to. I go to the doctor once ever ten years. Do I think I'll live into my 80's? Yes.
Back to the subject, I had to throw that out there just incase the Feds thought I was a threat to society. My research also brought me to folks who advocate going to the Vet. Ketamine, Tiletamine are suggested. Topical anethetics- benzoncaine and lidocaine have been brought up and they claim these are good to put in stitches and to clean wounds. Please varify this for me.
Do you remember Laudanum from the 1800's? That was the major pain med but highly addictive. I haven't seen how to make it, perhaps you guys know.
Here's another thing that our animal owning friends might know about...ground up Asprin with DMSO and use as a topical pain reliever.
Okay, the old American Indian (I've been told that this is politically okay) used to use Peyote. If you can't find this available in the So. US. you're not looking. It is easy to grow, indefinate shelf life when dried, easily administered when brewed with tea. I have never personally heard of this as a pain med. it was always promoted as a hallucinogenic but I honestly haven't researched its properties.
So friends, tell me what you think. Tell me what you know.

Laudanum is an opiate. That's why it was so addictive and ultimately taken off the market.

I've stocked up on topical antibiotic creams. In the not too distant past an infected cut could result in gangrene, limb loss, even death.

There are herbs that contain antiseptic qualities, also.

I'm trying to study herbology. Its a huge subject. I think i have to break it down more.

Latest posts

Back