What are you doing to get ready for winter?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaBearPaw

Reaction score
So my favourite time of year is coming fast, sitting outside in between -10 and -20 degrees with a nice glass of alcohol, Chartreuse from France is my drink of choice,a strong drink to warn the insides up. But before that luxury happens there is a lot to do around the house to get it and the family ready. The gutters need to be cleared, plants covered, windows need the film on them.
We just got a Wood stove this year but were unable to install it. A project for next year. The space heaters are ready to go, the thick blankets just made there appearance. The summer clothing is gone for another year and the one piece long underwear are back for another season.
It's nice to be able to say this year is flowing nicer then last year, a lot of lessons were learned on our first year in the house.
Have fun getting ready because I know I am. Take care.

My favourite time of the year too. I just hope there's Snow in the forecast this winter.:D

Gutters check
Garden check
Heavier curtains going up this weekend
Central heating tested.

I haven't lost power in 20 years however I do have backup heating, cooking, plenty of batteries and a couple of 20,000mAh power banks and a small solar generator. I do not keep candles, with a Cat about it's just asking for trouble, I keep 5V LED lightbulbs instead.

So my favourite time of year is coming fast, sitting outside in between -10 and -20 degrees with a nice glass of alcohol, Chartreuse from France is my drink of choice,a strong drink to warn the insides up. But before that luxury happens there is a lot to do around the house to get it and the family ready. The gutters need to be cleared, plants covered, windows need the film on them.
We just got a Wood stove this year but were unable to install it. A project for next year. The space heaters are ready to go, the thick blankets just made there appearance. The summer clothing is gone for another year and the one piece long underwear are back for another season.
It's nice to be able to say this year is flowing nicer then last year, a lot of lessons were learned on our first year in the house.
Have fun getting ready because I know I am. Take care.
-10 and -20 degrees! You must be drinking to enjoy that! Lol. I like the change of season, but winter is kind of depressing. All the plants dying back, everything grey. I guess it's mother natures way of getting everything to slow down and take a rest.

My favourite time of the year too. I just hope there's Snow in the forecast this winter.:D

Gutters check
Garden check
Heavier curtains going up this weekend
Central heating tested.

I haven't lost power in 20 years however I do have backup heating, cooking, plenty of batteries and a couple of 20,000mAh power banks and a small solar generator. I do not keep candles, with a Cat about it's just asking for trouble, I keep 5V LED lightbulbs instead.
Would love to see some snow too. With the drought were in I'd take any form of relief right now!

Most of our summer is spent prepping for winter. This year I put new gravel on the road, filled a couple washouts from last springs snow melt, and we moved out of the cabin in to a new travel trailer.
A few days ago I dug out all my trapping supplies to get everything ready to start trapping soon. Need to order a few items and clean the traps. Got my trap line mapped out and will start in the higher elevations first. I'm looking forward to freeze up and first snow. Right now it's warm and muddy from the recent rain.

about all i've done to get ready for winter,so far..is to home can some winter foods.and change the beds.got winter covers and electric blankets on them..still need to clean the gutters and put plastic over the windows.

I' curious, Wht do you put plastic at your windows?

we live in a old house,in which that includes old windows.the plastic helps keep,at least some of the cold out.and the wind as well,when done up right.

I've heard that works/helps out for years.but i didnt know how well,untill 2 or 3 winters ago.and with where we live now.it helps quiet a bit..

What is "winter"?

Seriously, we don't have this thing in Florida..... :)

I love it though. I can actually turn off the AC and the stall fans and save a lot on my power bill.

I got enough firewood for the winter at least, although not all of it is split. I like to wait till it cools off some before splitting it. I just put the last coat of polyurethane on the enclosed porch floor today. It's my sun room with a wood burning stove to help heat the house, South facing with lots of Windows. Am excited to be almost done with it, but at least it's functional.

For those who comment from places devoid of winter, please remember that this is the Nova Scotia part of the site made for Nova Scotians to keep in touch. Please find your State page.

I really only need to buy new shovels, the quality of them seem to be less and less every year. I bought 4 Merino shirts this month as my first Merino try out. I could use some long john pants.

My main prep is part of an ongoing clearing the house of stuff so I can be more organized with my preps and ready to use them when needed. Need to repack the bugout bags for winter.

Nova Scotia is in the semi tropical south compared to me in northern England and Jonnte in Finland :) Scotia is only in the 40 degree latitude zone unlike us REAL northerners in the 50 degree north zone with Jonnte and Articdude in the 60 degree north zone. But do let us know your trends for winter prep they are similar to ours , my son has just got a couple of Merino wool shirts for winter as well.

Nova Scotia is in the semi tropical south compared to me in northern England and Jonnte in Finland :) Scotia is only in the 40 degree latitude zone unlike us REAL northerners in the 50 degree north zone with Jonnte and Articdude in the 60 degree north zone. But do let us know your trends for winter prep they are similar to ours , my son has just got a couple of Merino wool shirts for winter as well.
For years I lived and worked above 70 degs N, my wife is still there, and for a number of years I was below 78 degs S. We've lived in areas with up to 30+ feet of snow too. I kinda thought we were all in this together to share ideas and experiences with each other.

For years I lived and worked above 70 degs N, my wife is still there, and for a number of years I was below 78 degs S. We've lived in areas with up to 30+ feet of snow too. I kinda thought we were all in this together to share ideas and experiences with each other.

We are and joshing each other is part and parcel of it. :) Haliboy is my nearest neighbour to the west and Jonnte to the east :)

For those who comment from places devoid of winter, please remember that this is the Nova Scotia part of the site made for Nova Scotians to keep in touch. Please find your State page.

Sorry, didn't catch that earlier!!!

Sorry, didn't catch that earlier!!!

It doesn't take a high IQ to know that the WHOLE idea of forums with location based sections is for those people who live in that location to communicate with each other, ALL the other areas are general areas in which you can comment on. It is just stupid to comment on NS if you live in the USA or BC and never lived here.

I do not go to the LA or NY section and start talking about things that do not apply to those areas, nor should you if you don't live there.

Why is PapaBearPaw asking about winter preps in the Nova Scotia section? BECAUSE he wants to hear from others in his area about their winter preps. IF he wanted to know how people in Cali or the Artic prep for winter then he would have posted in the general non-location specific areas. See how simple that is to understand?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back