What are the ultimate DD foods and why?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what others think are the best things to stock up on and why. I'm a firm believer that we're gonna be traveling light and living off of the land as far as water and food go, so we're not taking a lot with us when we decide to bounce. That being said, I'm curious what we should take knowing that we're not taking much. Thanks

I am partial to MRE, as nasty as they are. I hear rice has a long shelf..... I would like to learn how to can food. Though I am a little nervous about eating 2 year old chicken....

pre- cooked rice is good to take since if you dont have water you can throw some in your mouth and let your saliva rehidrate it, ie look at the veitnamese during the war they survived on it, spam is a good long lasting food, as well as empting a few bags of ramen w/packets in a ziplock to save space, me personally im also taking peanut butter, jiffy extra crunchy runs at 190 calories per 2 table spoons and it high in protien, and the fact that i get a crapload of it for free from wic helps too, another thing ive seen in ready to order bug bags is 3000 calorie food bars, kind of expensive but probably most effective considering the space they'll save, but really anything with high calorie content, and a decent shelf life would work.

pre- cooked rice is good to take since if you dont have water you can throw some in your mouth and let your saliva rehidrate it, ie look at the veitnamese during the war they survived on it, spam is a good long lasting food, as well as empting a few bags of ramen w/packets in a ziplock to save space, me personally im also taking peanut butter, jiffy extra crunchy runs at 190 calories per 2 table spoons and it high in protien, and the fact that i get a crapload of it for free from wic helps too, another thing ive seen in ready to order bug bags is 3000 calorie food bars, kind of expensive but probably most effective considering the space they'll save, but really anything with high calorie content, and a decent shelf life would work.
the food we had in the Army, MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) are calorie dense and each bag is designed to provide enough calories for 1 day. However, they aren't the best if you are trying to constantly stay on the move. They have some pretty good flavors these days. A far cry from the mid 80's.

im packen peanut butter, spam n some ramens in each one of my bug bags, i get like 6 jars of jiffy a month from wic, id be preppen with the stuff even if i wasnt a prepper lmao

Me too. Zolis(That's what we call em in my Fam, since a nephew started it), spaghetti n meatballs, mini-zolis, and sometimes beefaroni. If you have an Aldie grocery store around you, I encourage you to hit em up. They have excellent produce, great prices on plenty of foods ie milk for $3 a gallon, $0.79 a DOZEN eggs, and their canned zolis and what not all taste like Boyardee. Not almost as good or as good but different, they actually taste JUST LIKE 'EM. $0.80 a can, too!

ive loved all those since i was a kid, most disagree with me but i love them coold too! right outta the can just like momma used to make! rofl

Me too. Zolis(That's what we call em in my Fam, since a nephew started it), spaghetti n meatballs, mini-zolis, and sometimes beefaroni. If you have an Aldie grocery store around you, I encourage you to hit em up. They have excellent produce, great prices on plenty of foods ie milk for $3 a gallon, $0.79 a DOZEN eggs, and their canned zolis and what not all taste like Boyardee. Not almost as good or as good but different, they actually taste JUST LIKE 'EM. $0.80 a can, too!
ive loved all those since i was a kid, most disagree with me but i love them coold too! right outta the can just like momma used to make! rofl
Unfortunately there are no Aldie Grocery Stores neer me.
I thought I was the only one who would eat them right out of the can.

my wife still gives me hell about it, dont know why people havs a problem with it really, their not eating it, if they want, they can warm theirs, no biggie its good that way too lol
oh and you can usually get them at 99cent only stores, and i dont know if you have one over in the O.C. yet cuz their relativly new but Superior stores are cheap too!

my wife still gives me hell about it, dont know why people havs a problem with it really, their not eating it, if they want, they can warm theirs, no biggie its good that way too lol
oh and you can usually get them at 99cent only stores, and i dont know if you have one over in the O.C. yet cuz their relativly new but Superior stores are cheap too!
Yes, there are 99 cent stores out here. Albertsons sometimes sells them for $1.00 each too.

Wow. I eat em out of the can more often than not! I used to get looks all the time when I worked in a shop. People's eyes would bug out, but I never got the big deal. We used to eat cram soups out of the can on crackers and bread too!

Wow. I eat em out of the can more often than not! I used to get looks all the time when I worked in a shop. People's eyes would bug out, but I never got the big deal. We used to eat cram soups out of the can on crackers and bread too!
Same here. I never got the big deal.
In the army we would open the can and cook them on a potbelly stove. It worked like a charm.

its going to be trail mix and Vienna sausages for me. I will also have two of my chickens, one under each arm.

id add some spam to that list, its good with those eggs from the chickens too. LOL, add them all together n you gotta jailhouse spread!

id add some spam to that list, its good with those eggs from the chickens too. LOL, add them all together n you gotta jailhouse spread!
In all seriousness though, This is an area I need to get going on. I do not have nearly the amount of food I am going to need.

I don't.. But canning salsa right now. Smells good.
Most of my garden died because of all the rain here in the sunshine state. Lol!
We had to save the tomatoes before they went bad.

Latest posts

Back