What are the best ways to start a fire with a fire starter kit.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AestheticPrepping

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i would just like to know what is the best ways to start a fire with a fire starting kit.
I've heard and seen things on YouTube were people use cotton balls and rub Vaseline over them and light it.
I've also seen cubes that you light but i would rather not use them because they will eventually run out in a survival situation. I'm thinking would another idea be to buy pencils and a sharpener and just sharpen the pencil all the way down and save the pencil shaving in a Ziploc bag?

why not just collect tree moss, let it dry then place in a ziploc bag, collect some fatwood and jute.

Epiphany Pocket Bellow
Broken hack saw blades
UCO stormproof match kit
Gerber strikeforce (1993) w/5 refill fuel cubes
Bic lighter x2
Magnesium fire starter
FireSteel
Fatwood 4" x4
Dry moss
Jute

fire.JPG

why not just collect tree moss, let it dry then place in a ziploc bag, collect some fatwood and jute.

Epiphany Pocket Bellow
Broken hack saw blades
UCO stormproof match kit
Gerber strikeforce (1993) w/5 refill fuel cubes
Bic lighter x2
Magnesium fire starter
FireSteel
Fatwood 4" x4
Dry moss
Jute

View attachment 5723

Thanks for the advise, i seen some fire starters on amazon that have magnesium that you scrap off first then use the sparks on it, does yours have this?
Also the FireSteel striker you have, i seen it on amazon and it looks amazing but the piece you strike it with looks really really tiny.

Thanks for the advise, i seen some fire starters on amazon that have magnesium that you scrap off first then use the sparks on it, does yours have this?
Also the FireSteel striker you have, i seen it on amazon and it looks amazing but the piece you strike it with looks really really tiny.

I don't use the striker that comes with the magnesium bar (too low of a spark) instead I would use the LMF to ignite the magnesium scrapings, the striker is stout. Don't settle for the cheap firesteels (firesteels are not created equal), also use sandpaper like 220 grit to take the lacquer finish off the rod (that's practically on every firesteel rod on the market) otherwise it's low temp spark and frustrating ;)

It's just the preference between orange and black huh lol. Anyway with the LMF one do you have to scrap off magnesium or is that not included/needed? If it's not included in the LMF one do you think i should buy a separate on just to scrap magnesium & just use the LMF striker to spark it, or is magnesium not really needed at all.

The LMF will ignite practically any dry vegetation if prepped right without the use of an additional accelerant such as the magnesium bar other than normal vegetation. I would use additional accelerant such as Vaseline soaked cotton balls / mag-bars etc... in wet environments or damp tinder

Step 1. Buy a lighter
Step 2. Use the lighter

Pretty simple. :D

Sarcastic, but really true. Why do it the hard way in a survival situation?

Last edited:
Hello everyone, i would just like to know what is the best ways to start a fire with a fire starting kit.
I've heard and seen things on YouTube were people use cotton balls and rub Vaseline over them and light it.
I've also seen cubes that you light but i would rather not use them because they will eventually run out in a survival situation. I'm thinking would another idea be to buy pencils and a sharpener and just sharpen the pencil all the way down and save the pencil shaving in a Ziploc bag?
Everyone has their own preference, but I use fiber egg cartons filled with wax. I carry a half dozen cubes and some storm proof matches in all my vehicles, in my BOB and EDC. Even in the coldest, windiest and wettest weather they have never failed to get a fire going for me. Just yesterday I was out repairing some fencing about 2 miles away from the house when a rain/snow squall blew in. I just pulled the 4 wheeler under some trees, broke off some semi dry branches, picked up some dry cow chips and had a fire going in about 5 minutes. I also have a striker type of fire starter as a backup but I have never used it yet.

Latest posts

Back