What are the best bug out bag items for staying warm?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niick

Reaction score
I'm not talking about fire starting items, just things like blankets, sleeping bags, bivy sacks, etc. If you have cold winters, you're going to want something in your bug out bag that can keep you warm. But, you also don't want it to weigh too much or take up too much room in your bag. So I'm wondering what is the best thing to have in your bag for staying warm in the cold.

Some people recommend a blanket like a wool blanket, or fleece blanket. I've read that wool weighs more and takes up more space than fleece, and that a fleece blanket doesn't weight much and doesn't take up much space. And fleece is as warm or pretty close to as warm as a wool blanket. But, fleece is also apparently very flammable, so you wouldn't want to get it too close to your fire.

Then there are sleeping bags and bivy sacks. I've seen some that you can squeeze up and they don't take up much space. I don't know how warm they would be. Other ones look like they would take up a lot of space. Some of these bivy sacks look like you'd actually have to carry them as a separate pack from your bag which would suck.

So in your opinions/experience, what do you think is the best things to have in your bug out bag for staying warm in the cold?

Yeah I have heard that too. Some people did recommend using a fleece blanket with something else that would block the wind like a mylar space blanket. Although you might not feel the wind if you're in a tent.

I haven't looked in my bag for a while, but I believe I have 3 of those "rescue" blankets that work off your body heat. They are more like sleeping bags.

It's essentially a 'get home' bag in case of an EMP and my truck shuts down. But, it doubles as a bug-out bag for my wife and son too.

im thinking it might be a good idea to have 2 jackets.1st one is what you normally wear during everyday life.and don't let the wind through.and the 2nd one,is at least a lil bit more lightweight and not quiet as warm.and still don't let the wind in..on account it'll be all to easy to work up a sweat with your normal warm jacket and the pack on your back.and working your way cross country and all.and of course that'll lead to you getting cold when you need to be warm..

have fleece,have wool and a long memory of very cold winters,still remember -86 with temps going down to -22 F or below and having multiple layers of wool underneath kept me warm,so my BOB has wool things in it,my feet will be kept warm with wool socks...

I work on the 3 / 4 layered system of undershirt or polo, 400 grade or micro fleece jack, water proof soft-shell over the top. At a push I can add a Parka or a Brit army windproof winter smock.

A 400 grade fleece and a soft shell hoodie cover 99% of the needs for me over the top of a helle Hanson under shirt or a HD Polo. Over in the US the chaps are bloody well served by Triple Ought fleeces and soft shells and Archetrx (spell) gear among others. I top that off with a multi purpose Buff or Shemargh and either Kona or Mechanic gloves, thats good enough for most of this area in northern Europe (same latitude as Labrador)

just get a Army issue poncho w/liner. I have slept many nights just using the liner, If you already have the proper clothing then all you need is the poncho and liner.

I prefer wool over fleece if a choice between the two!

Last edited:
never thought about those, other if I had to make a quick cash withdrawl from tha bank ;)

I prefer wool over fleece if a choice between the two!

Yeah, from the things I've read, it sounds like a lot of other people do too.

have fleece,have wool and a long memory of very cold winters,still remember -86 with temps going down to -22 F or below and having multiple layers of wool underneath kept me warm,so my BOB has wool things in it,my feet will be kept warm with wool socks...

My concern is that a wool blanket might be too heavy and take up too much room in a BOB. I know you guys aren't necessarily talking about blankets though.

just get a Army issue poncho w/liner. I have slept many nights just using the liner, If you already have the proper clothing then all you need is the poncho and liner.

Northern Raider also mentioned having the right clothing. That's the thing though, I don't have the right clothing (which is probably ridiculously expensive). And even if I did, what's the likely hood that I'd be wearing it when SHTF. Now of course, we may have time to change our clothes before running for the hills, but what if we didn't? I don't know about you guys, but personally I'd feel better if I had something in my BOB that could keep me warm even if I wasn't wearing warm clothes, and even if it dropped below 0 degrees. Are there any kind of light weight sleeping bags or bivys that can do that, that can also be condensed down to easily fit in your BOB?

Surely you should dress to suit the weather by default, and your Bug Out Bag / GHB should be loaded to suit the environment / weather/ time of year. Many peppers wear workwear / outdoor clothing all the time as well, its down to common sense planning as well as budget, When I worked in an office in the city I kept a full change of clothing in a bag under my desk, Approach shoes, Cargo pants, T shirt, micro fleece (ÂŁ10 for our equivelent of wall mart) wind proof smock ( used ex army)

For those of you who like wool and natural fibres against synthetic , its not cheap but Ventile fabric is superb .

you can actually get alot of really good stuff from army surplus stores...they seem to rotate their stuff so frequently these days,it's practically new,and I have found even brand new products as surplus...

Yup my winter Parka is surplus as is two of my DPM windproof smocks, even my main Bug Out Bag is an ex Brit army 100 litre Bergan than only cost ÂŁ30, Obviously budget constraints limit us all in what gear we have but be it surplus or Gucci kit you have to have it with you for it to be any use. My wifey works in the city in the NHS but in her car is a GHB including clothes, hiking shoes, water proofs etc and she keeps extra gear at work as well.

Yes BUDGET but also PLAN its no body use have a H & K M416 with every accessory, a totally upgraded Toyota Tacoma, State of the art mountaineering or Tactical gear if its in your closet and you are in the town when TSHTF.

PPPPPPPP

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance.

most of my gear either comes from Ebay or local market stalls, you don't need to pay the earth for it, I'm on a fixed income(pension) so I cant afford to buy all the latest "hot off the presses" type stuff, but ex army surplus is good, if its good enough for the army then its good enough for me.

Army issue poncho with liner, some wool socks, wool mittens, and wool cap, and you'd be pretty set. Can use a thin wool blanket too, saves space, but still functions. Most of all, have a good fire going, and if you can, pick a spot where you are out of wind, etc. If enough snow and time, build a makeshift igloo. They really aren't that difficult, and even without a roof, it will still cut wind and protect a small fire.

Latest posts

Back