What are some good tradable items for the SHTF?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncarriere

Reaction score
I think this is something quite important that everyone should be considering. Stocking up on something to be able to barter after SHTF.

The most common ones I hear are silver/gold and tobacco/cigars/pipes

What would be some good alternatives I want your ideas !
I've heard stuff like toilet paper and sugar canes but what else ?

I think this is something quite important that everyone should be considering. Stocking up on something to be able to barter after SHTF.

All of those is a good start.

Hygiene Items, Tooth brushes, paste, soap, razors, shampoo, deodorant

Big Barter Items: Women's Hygiene Products

Spices, Matches, lighters, honey, sewing kits (dental floss for stitches)
Rope, 550 cord, fishing gear

I could go on..and on...

So you are saying that any item that makes life easier could be used as barter !? I mean I agree with you 100% but which ones would be. The most démand you think

I would have added whiskey to the list,
but you have to wait a few years.

Needs and Wants

1st get what you need and double the purchase

2nd get what are peoples vices, booze, smokes, chew, tobacco, rolling papers

Back to the women's hygiene: Load up on midol, anyone, including guys can take it.

wax, candles, coffee, tea, flints for zippo lighters, just about anything! I would be concerned about divulging that i have gold/silver unless the person one barter's with is trusting enough to keep mouth shut on where the metal has come from. Don't be a target ;)

Coffee is a good one !! I started collecting some silver coins and will be going gold hunting in a couple of rivers in my area that DO have gold in them

I found gold in my pool today
big wind storm blows tons o'shcmutz around
sand, dirt and stuff ends up in my pool.

Canning lids, children's clothes if you have room to stash them, books, games, cards, skill sets that you can barter for goods.

one thing i've saved over the years is.4 to 7 tubes that krazy glue comes in..i almost ran out of flints for my zippo.so i bought a 2 bic pack and took the flints out of them.and then cut one flint in half.then put a half in my zippo,and the other half and hole flint into one of the krazy glue tubes for later use in zippo..

I would also trade alcohol wither beer and/or hard stuff a lot of people will want to drown their missery

All is good advice, anything needed is worth trading. I think an important part of prepping is helping those around you. If you have no wish to assist those in need with what you have, that's just hoarding and its wrong. Now, I'm not saying give handouts to those who live their lives receiving handouts having learned it from their parents and supported by our beloved government. Also, think about useful skills that can be traded: medical and mechanical skills, midwifing, farming, animal husbandry, gunsmith, sewing, leather work, etc.

Latest posts

Back