What’s For Breakfast? And Homemade Bread

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought we needed a Breakfast Thread. I’m a real breakfast lover and wanted to share what I will be making this morning.

1642418403614.png

Will be trying these out for the first time this morning!

EDIT: Changed the title so we could talk about homemade bread making and recipes. One of my favorite things to bake!

Last edited:
I rarely eat breakfast, but I do make husband an egg white omelet most every morning.
I separate 9 eggs (I cook the yolks separate for the dogs). Spray an omelet sized pan with olive oil, add the egg whites, then add fresh greens (like spinach or kale), cheese, tomato, and red onion. He like fresh pineapple on the side.
Your recipe looks yummy. Now I'm thinking of french toast casserole

I LOVE homemade granola! I looked up your Chef John's Dutch Babies. . . OMGoodness it does sound good and something my hunny would love!!! May need to surprise him next week while I am on vacation to try. Normally hunny wakes up about 4 hours after I do, so he is on his own. I like using Allrecipes.com when looking for recipes since they they 5 star ratings.
Leaving recipe here so I dont lose. . .

Chef John's Dutch Babies
Ingredients
Original recipe yields 4 servings
  • ⅔ cup milk, room temperature
  • ½ cup packed all-purpose flour
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons clarified butter
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ½ Meyer lemon, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, or to taste

Directions
Instructions Checklist

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Blend milk, flour, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt together in a blender until batter is smooth.
Melt clarified butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until bubbling; pour batter into the center of the skillet.
Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter, drizzle lemon juice over the top, and dust with confectioners' sugar.

Favourites in my house are a Spanish omelette -- which is an omelette with leftovers from last night's dinner chucked in.
Greek yoghurt and fruit or berries is another.
I can't tell the difference between the Dutch Babies mix and an English pancake mix, but I've never thought of putting the thing in the oven -- I must try it.
Home made no-knead bread served with just about anything is also popular, even just lots of butter. The recipe I use is 3 cups of flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 1/2 cup of water. Mix it up and leave it for 12-24 hours then cook in a super hot oven in a covered container (I use a cast iron camp oven.) 30 minutes lid on, 15 minutes lid off. (Search on Youtube for no-knead bread New York. It's Mark Bittman's recipe. Dead easy and always delicious.)
And you can't beat bacon and eggs.
Here's my favourite cooking channel of all time, and their version of bacon and eggs from the 18th century:

I LOVE homemade granola! I looked up your Chef John's Dutch Babies. . . OMGoodness it does sound good and something my hunny would love!!! May need to surprise him next week while I am on vacation to try. Normally hunny wakes up about 4 hours after I do, so he is on his own. I like using Allrecipes.com when looking for recipes since they they 5 star ratings.
Leaving recipe here so I dont lose. . .

Chef John's Dutch Babies
Ingredients
Original recipe yields 4 servings
  • ⅔ cup milk, room temperature
  • ½ cup packed all-purpose flour
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons clarified butter
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ½ Meyer lemon, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, or to taste

Directions
Instructions Checklist

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Blend milk, flour, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt together in a blender until batter is smooth.
Melt clarified butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until bubbling; pour batter into the center of the skillet.
Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter, drizzle lemon juice over the top, and dust with confectioners' sugar.

How wonderful of you to take the time to find and post the recipe! i would be shocked if honey doesn’t love it! I didn’t use as much lemon juice, but I consider that adjustable for taste. Cooked mine 22 minutes…and I had added a 4th egg and 2 Tbs more flour. Was worried it would not be enough. LOL. We couldn’t quite finish it!

Chef John has some other really awesome recipes! Try Fondant Potatoes!! 🥰

For baked oatmeal, there's a typical recipes on All Recipes website. I like it like that but add some cream on top of my piece before eating and some fresh berries or peaches, too.

In a word…YUM! Was wishing yesterday that we had fresh peaches. I think a side of peaches and cream would make a great side dish for the German Pancakes. Going to try out the baked oatmeal soon!

Latest posts

Back