Well...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dart

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say hello to all the members here. I've been lurking in the shadows the past few days trying to get a feel for the community here. Seems like y'all are a good bunch so I decided to open an account. Now that that's out of the way I guess I should introduce myself. For now I won't reveal my real name but maybe someday. However I can tell you some of my story and why I am interested about getting into prepping.

I am a 25 yr old male living in the north east United States, I have a wife and a 4 yr old son with a daughter on the way on aug 16. She works for a MAJOR and I mean major company of the world bc our hometown was basically built to support one of their arms of production. As for me, I enlisted in the Air Force right out of high school because what the heck else was I going to do with little education and a small town? I spent six years in the Air Force as a structural journeyman. Now for all the military members who are thinking I am soft and snickering bc I was Air Force ill let all of you guys know that most of the time on deployments I was with the army or marines or even some Brits! Going on convoys and setting up fobs (forward operating bases.) after six years I turned down a 100k reinlistment bonus to move back to my small hometown with wife and son in tow. I tried to make a go of college but dropped out after a trimester bc it just wasn't for me. Anyways I am currently employed in a forge shop, to be truthful I'm off on short term disability right now bc I just had back surgery.

Boy I can ramble ha, I'll try to rap it up here. The reason why I am starting to become a prepper, it basically comes down to the fact that i read too many dystopian society fictional novels that are loosely based on events that could actually happen so I started looking into the theories more and more and they started too make a little too much sense. Obviously I want to protect my family at all costs and have always been the anxious type in all situations, add in PTSD I slept with a rifle for a few months after I got back ha. I have always been a hunter and fisherman from an early age and have conveniently lost some firearms ;-). However, my wife has fought me on "losing" a pistol for a few years now bc she feels that I shouldn't keep it in our room bc of the kids. I've finally gotten to the point where I will get a pistol by Christmas whether she's mad at me or not. She's in charge of the finances I'm in charge of the protection which I take very seriously.

Now right now I only probably have enough food reserves too last a few days if the power goes out. I figured if she would add about 10$ to the grocery store list every week to buy the essentials we would soon have a decent little supply that I would use the FIFO rule to make sure they don't expire. Like I said we live in a small town that's about 10 miles away from the city. In the next few years we plan on moving though and she's not opposed to living out in the country, just have to get some money saved and whatnot. I have a lot of real world skills bc of my jobs and hobbies (construction,hunting,trapping,forging) that would be extremely useful in a shtf scenario. I currently have a few potted vegetable plants at this time but when we move I hope to have a decent sized vegetable garden and to raise chickens and goats.

Anyways, that's the not so short story on me and I look forward to getting to know you guys and gals.

Good day!

Welcome aboard ! There are a lot of good people here willing to help out, so fire away and jump in.

Thanks for the welcome guys, a quick question, have any of you dealt with a spouse that thinks you're alittle crazy? How did you go about convincing them that this is the right thing to do?

Thanks for the welcome guys, a quick question, have any of you dealt with a spouse that thinks you're alittle crazy? How did you go about convincing them that this is the right thing to do?

All it takes is a little power outage or no water, some little inconvenience. Then you are the hero when they are able to brush their teeth, have a meal, are warm. Hang tough they will come around.

All it takes is a little power outage or no water, some little inconvenience. Then you are the hero when they are able to brush their teeth, have a meal, are warm. Hang tough they will come around.
Hmm I should have worded that differently sorry, in my original post I said I had enough provisions too last is a few days since we live in an area with heavy snowfall that causes power outages all the time. She's ok with all of that and understands it but she can't understand why I want to "waste" money to start prepping for more serious and life threatening situations. Thanks for the quick response!

Welcome Friend!
First off, God Bless You and thank you for your service to this once great country!
Second--Personally, I believe that I was born a prepper. I have always felt the need to be prepared, have a food storage and just an need to be self-sufficient.

Yes, I have a spouse (my husband) that didn't always buy into the prepper mentality. As a matter of fact, he used to tease me about it! But the events of the last year, within our country: Economy, Food Costs, and general upheaval, have brought my man full circle! That being said, I approached the prepping not from a crazy conspiracy standpoint but from that of a practical standpoint. What if I lose my job?? My husband was in construction so my question to him was, What would happen to us if you couldn't work for 3 months?? Those are fair questions and ones that won't provoke an argument!! So, by approaching my prepping from this standpoint, he became supportive of my food storage, and garden. Yes, he would roll his eyes when he opened the door to my pantry!! But you know what, when I went through chemo and couldn't work for a time, his and our kids bellies were full every night and the eye rolling stopped.
Approach your wife with the what-if scenerio. Job loss--what would that look like to your 'lil family? A winter storm or hurricane type storm can easily take down the power grid for a couple weeks, do you have a back-up heat/light source? Just don't badger her about it....I did my prepping quietly, would occasionally interject a fact or two into conversation and let it go. It worked!!! We now live on a ranch in Colorado and my husband is intimately involved in our prepping!!
A few years back I put together what I call my Food Storage Map, I last revised it in January '13 but grocery prices have risen so quickly I sorta gave up on it! That being said, I designed it on a $15.00 week investment for long-term food storage. Being in health care, I knew the food storage had to be nutritious, affordable and shelf-stable. My Food Storage Map meets all three criteria. Its free! I just put it together to help folks get a jump start on their food storage needs when they don't know where to start. I also put together a Medical wish list for preppers. So if you are interested just shoot me a note and I will gladly email or post it for you.
Also, I want to commend you on the few veggies you have started!! I often worry about folks that say they will grow a garden and have seeds in their preps. But, in reality have never put a seed in the ground to know what it will take to grow vegetables in their specific climate. So, great job! I have serious respect for those new preppers who have just "crossed over" to our side of thinking!!
Keep loggin in -- there are some fabulous folks here eager to help you with ALL areas of your prepping!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Welcome to the family Dart... I can't spell it sorry, you're now Dart to me. My Hubs thinks I'm nuts half the time too, but he gets over it when I do something even stranger.

Well, darth...(Like anorak I can't spell, lol) last night I tried typing a welcome but we had a storm blow thru and knock out our internet for a bit...never got back online to retype my message...so you are going to get the abbreviated version....WELCOME!!!

First off, I'd like to say hello to all the members here. I've been lurking in the shadows the past few days trying to get a feel for the community here. Seems like y'all are a good bunch so I decided to open an account. Now that that's out of the way I guess I should introduce myself. For now I won't reveal my real name but maybe someday. However I can tell you some of my story and why I am interested about getting into prepping.

I am a 25 yr old male living in the north east United States, I have a wife and a 4 yr old son with a daughter on the way on aug 16. She works for a MAJOR and I mean major company of the world bc our hometown was basically built to support one of their arms of production. As for me, I enlisted in the Air Force right out of high school because what the heck else was I going to do with little education and a small town? I spent six years in the Air Force as a structural journeyman. Now for all the military members who are thinking I am soft and snickering bc I was Air Force ill let all of you guys know that most of the time on deployments I was with the army or marines or even some Brits! Going on convoys and setting up fobs (forward operating bases.) after six years I turned down a 100k reinlistment bonus to move back to my small hometown with wife and son in tow. I tried to make a go of college but dropped out after a trimester bc it just wasn't for me. Anyways I am currently employed in a forge shop, to be truthful I'm off on short term disability right now bc I just had back surgery.

Boy I can ramble ha, I'll try to rap it up here. The reason why I am starting to become a prepper, it basically comes down to the fact that i read too many dystopian society fictional novels that are loosely based on events that could actually happen so I started looking into the theories more and more and they started too make a little too much sense. Obviously I want to protect my family at all costs and have always been the anxious type in all situations, add in PTSD I slept with a rifle for a few months after I got back ha. I have always been a hunter and fisherman from an early age and have conveniently lost some firearms ;-). However, my wife has fought me on "losing" a pistol for a few years now bc she feels that I shouldn't keep it in our room bc of the kids. I've finally gotten to the point where I will get a pistol by Christmas whether she's mad at me or not. She's in charge of the finances I'm in charge of the protection which I take very seriously.

Now right now I only probably have enough food reserves too last a few days if the power goes out. I figured if she would add about 10$ to the grocery store list every week to buy the essentials we would soon have a decent little supply that I would use the FIFO rule to make sure they don't expire. Like I said we live in a small town that's about 10 miles away from the city. In the next few years we plan on moving though and she's not opposed to living out in the country, just have to get some money saved and whatnot. I have a lot of real world skills bc of my jobs and hobbies (construction,hunting,trapping,forging) that would be extremely useful in a shtf scenario. I currently have a few potted vegetable plants at this time but when we move I hope to have a decent sized vegetable garden and to raise chickens and goats.

Anyways, that's the not so short story on me and I look forward to getting to know you guys and gals.

Good day!
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hmm I should have worded that differently sorry, in my original post I said I had enough provisions too last is a few days since we live in an area with heavy snowfall that causes power outages all the time. She's ok with all of that and understands it but she can't understand why I want to "waste" money to start prepping for more serious and life threatening situations. Thanks for the quick response!
Welcome Darthorius! My hubby was the same as your wife at first, but he did eventually come around. He has stock piled guns and ammo for years now, but he used to be a police officer and he and the boys love to shoot and hunt. At first I started with a small garden and canned, dehydrated, and froze what I could. He couldn't believe the savings we had from our little garden and it has now expanded BIG time. We now have our own livestock for meat and milk, chickens for eggs. What I am getting at is show her how much $$ you can save by learning to do things yourself.

Welcome Darthorius! My hubby was the same as your wife at first, but he did eventually come around. He has stock piled guns and ammo for years now, but he used to be a police officer and he and the boys love to shoot and hunt. At first I started with a small garden and canned, dehydrated, and froze what I could. He couldn't believe the savings we had from our little garden and it has now expanded BIG time. We now have our own livestock for meat and milk, chickens for eggs. What I am getting at is show her how much $$ you can save by learning to do things yourself.
Thanks for the advice, yea she's big on the bottom line of things so as long as I can prove it to her that it saves money i think she can get on board

Latest posts

Back