Welcome Lady Preppers!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi girls! New here and hoping to learn a lot, share what I know, and make some beneficial connections. I'm lucky enough to have a fantastic husband who shares my passion for prepping. One of our sons is like-minded while the other is not. I also have some other family members who think we're a little crazy. I worry about having to make tough choices-i.e. Do we help them or not when things go south? Would love to hear some female prepped' thoughts on that.

Welcome Luv2Prep! I have a few in my family that think our net family is on the strange side too. It's hard when it comes down to the question of if you would help them out. If you bring them 'in', are they going to actually be a help, just 'do enough' or are they going to free load. Do they have a special skill as in identifying edible plants, gardening, hunting, mechanical, livestock, etc.? Or would they be willing to put in the hard labor of a self sufficient lifestyle or even cooking for a group or preserving the bounty? Everyone should be able to participate in something. In my situation, I would only want to help them if they are going to be a help to me and my family and also I would have to trust them completely. Without full trust, then I would have to say no, but this is just my opinion. I do have a 91 year old MIL and will definitely have her back. She may not be able to do much physically, but she can still snap beans, shell peas, peel carrots and potatoes. . . things like that.

Hi Luv2Prep - great to have more likeminded girls around. I totally agree with Danil54grl on that topic. I have a detailed list of tasks and duties for everyone who wants to join my SHTF survival group and this list rules. Anyone knocking on my door after the SHTF will pull their weight or be on their way. Never disclose the full extent of your prepping to anyone - and make them understand to play along. If anyone joins our family they have to accept that they are part of a crew - and there will be only one captain to steer the "survival ship". Watch out for signs of mutiny and ask anyone creating problems to walk to plank. Think early sailors crossing oceans to discover new lands.

This may sound silly to some, but the way it kind of looks to me is that the guys are all about dealing with the actual SHTF, you know being a manly man and shooting things. Women deal with the actual SHTF as well, but we seem to be more tuned into what happens after the fan's been hit.

Nah. Replenishable sources are the ONLY way to go. Without it, your days are (literally) numbered. While defense is important, having replenishable food and water are the primary keys to survival. I'm all for the manly part of it too, but the real work is in planning to not only survive, but do so in a way that you still have a decent quality of life, and can still enjoy the things we enjoy.

For the topic of lady preppers, I have a question/concern:

I see women getting treated in a patronizing, dismissive way when they go to buy cars, guns, construction equipment, etc..

Do the women in this forum feel 'driven away' from prepping by this vile behavior on the part of the men who seem to dominate the business end of things in the prepper world?

For that matter, I see patients (I work in the medical field) treat female doctors differently than male doctors and--most dispicable--male doctors seem to treat female doctors differently than they would their male colleagues.

I see women getting treated in a patronizing, dismissive way when they go to buy cars, guns, construction equipment, etc..

Do the women in this forum feel 'driven away' from prepping by this vile behavior on the part of the men who seem to dominate the business end of things in the prepper world?

For that matter, I see patients (I work in the medical field) treat female doctors differently than male doctors and--most dispicable--male doctors seem to treat female doctors differently than they would their male colleagues.

For my own part, I don't give a flying fig. If a man has a problem with women, well that's his problem not mine. If I come across it, I'll suck it up and then have a good laugh at them later.
I can only speak for this forum, but I have found that even though men are in the majority, it has only been one or two who have been less than respectful and for those, there is the ignore function. I do find my priorities differ with a lot of the male members but that is to be expected and respected.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this or why? Everyone here is valued, in the real world I never was told the world was fare nor have I taught my kids it was fare, it isn't ;) My Daughters and Daughter n law work the medical field as triage nurses and flight nurses, I very very seldom hear any of them complain about men in fact they are treated worse by other women not men. Lazy is lazy and smart is smart, I treat it the same regardless of gender, if lazy than my words are the same thus I don't give a g'dam what sex one is.

The way I see it, if one doesn't have respect for women than they have no respect for anyone including themselves and should be treated in kind, bottom line!

Why would I ever feel intimidated by a man. . . they get dressed just like I do. . . one leg at a time. It shouldn't matter what gender you are. A person is a person. A prepper is a prepper. I do have to say that we tend to focus on different things. Where I am strong in one aspect, my hunny is in another. Reason why we make a good team. But just because we have "gender roles" doesn't mean that we can not help one another with a job at hand when needed.

I did not mean to offend anyone.

I am not sexist, but I seem to see a lot of sexism in my work environment, so I was only asking. The gender bias that I see tends to be very subtle...but it's there, and I believe that it intereferes with progress.

I promise that I'm not a troll.

Again, I apologize.

Hello! I am HJ1984 and I am the female moderator of the site! I was just given this title and I just want to take a few moments of your time and welcome you to the site! I am sure that you can tell that women are few and far between in the prepper world, or maybe they are all just "closet prepping" as I like to call it! I too was a "closet prepper" until just recently.
Being a mother and homemaker I feel it as my duty to prepare my family for ANYTHING that could happen that threatens the lives of my children and family. Be it a devastating storm or an economic collapse, I want to have done everything I possibly can to be ready for that day.
Women bring to the table a ton of knowledge and ideas that are sometimes overlooked by men...don't get me wrong, men play a very important role in our survival and without them we most likely wouldn't make it. Though I feel they could survive without women, I think they'd rather not :) We are stronger in ways that they are weak and vice-versa. We must educate ourselves with the knowledge that they have to offer and we should offer up our knowledge to them as well.
Please look around the site, be active and speak your opinion and post your ideas often as we can only learn more from each other! I feel that women tend to plan for general disasters/emergencies on a daily basis (e.g Fresh clothes for a soiled baby, Tylenol and tissues in our purses, everything else that we carry in our "everything but the kitchen sink purses" that ppl are always shocked that we have yet thankful we do!) and that helps us to better prepare for bigger emergencies as well!
I can't wait to talk with you all and hear your thoughts, concerns, questions, ideas and more!
Welcome aboard and please feel free to message me at anytime!

Hello! I just joined last night and just now found this forum. Are there any women still in here who would like to participate in this forum? ...I noticed it's been awhile since someone posted.

Hello! I just joined last night and just now found this forum. Are there any women still in here who would like to participate in this forum? ...I noticed it's been awhile since someone posted.
We have several women in the forum that post daily.

@NightHawk I do normally check in once a day but most of my world revolves around taking care of my MIL (Granny) who is 96 now and unable to do anything on her own. I 'ok be honest and say I don't read all post I gs. I just don't have the time but if I have commented on a specific thread and it pops up I will check in and other new threads that peak my interest.

Hey, I saw this thread when I first joined, but I felt welcomed on the entire forum not just the special "ladies section" or whatever. And if I didn't "feel" welcome, well I'm not afraid to speak my mind anyway - I have six brothers so I'm used to competing with the guys. But by all means if there are women who would like to talk about . . .girl things? I'll participate, though to me prepping is not a guy thing or a girl thing - it's smart person thing. I do think that in general men tend to be more open about "prepping" and into all the "fun stuff" a lot of times, but plenty of women out there are quietly prepared for whatever may hit them.

Latest posts

Back