Ways to afford prepping...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hj1984

Reaction score
Since I have become a serious prepper...I find myself always wanting to buy more things for my stash/bags etc...but being able to afford the things my family needs for a SHTF scenario, thats difficult a lot of the time. Sooooo in a "killing two birds with one stone" effort, I've begun to rid my home and storage areas of items that my family no longer wants/needs, clothes that haven't been worn in the past 12 months are a must sell item, and anything else that it just taking up space and everytime I see them I just think "well I'll keep it around cuz I may need it someday" because most likely, it's just going to collect dust...I use either Craigslist to post my items or facebook (my local town/county has an online facebook auction page where ppl in the area can post items for sale, a starting bid and an end date...then ppl bid on the item if they want it...works just like a regular auction but its online!) Using these two sites alone, in the past month or two I've sold over 300 dollars worth of stuff...doesn't sound like much but thats a bunch of food or whatever else...even a gun in some cases! And it was basically free since I simply sold things that I wasn't using/won't ever use....and in doing so I've also created more storage space in my home for prepping items! Just wanted to throw that out there for you all to consider!

Donating clothes or items to any organisation other than the Salvation Army does nothing other than make Them money.
hj1984 is spot on. Sell what you can for hard cash, even if it's only a buck.

Donating clothes or items to any organisation other than the Salvation Army does nothing other than make Them money.
hj1984 is spot on. Sell what you can for hard cash, even if it's only a buck.
Alot ate non profit charitable places, i donate to a place where funds go to vietnam vets

I give to:
St. Judes Childrens Hosp.
Shriners Childrens Hosp.
Wounded Warriors
Paralysed Veterans of America
Salvation Army
And the local Womens Shelter.
Forget the church's, they pocket more than they share!

Since I have become a serious prepper...I find myself always wanting to buy more things for my stash/bags etc...but being able to afford the things my family needs for a SHTF scenario, thats difficult a lot of the time. Sooooo in a "killing two birds with one stone" effort, I've begun to rid my home and storage areas of items that my family no longer wants/needs, clothes that haven't been worn in the past 12 months are a must sell item, and anything else that it just taking up space and everytime I see them I just think "well I'll keep it around cuz I may need it someday" because most likely, it's just going to collect dust...I use either Craigslist to post my items or facebook (my local town/county has an online facebook auction page where ppl in the area can post items for sale, a starting bid and an end date...then ppl bid on the item if they want it...works just like a regular auction but its online!) Using these two sites alone, in the past month or two I've sold over 300 dollars worth of stuff...doesn't sound like much but thats a bunch of food or whatever else...even a gun in some cases! And it was basically free since I simply sold things that I wasn't using/won't ever use....and in doing so I've also created more storage space in my home for prepping items! Just wanted to throw that out there for you all to consider!

Hello,

I am new to this and was searching around. I watch doomsday preppers lately a lot and start realizing you guys ain't nutts but it is we who are. And I mean those who are not preparing. I am happily married and have a kid and one on the way and lately I feel myself in a strugglle what to do. Not so much people are there to talk about this sort off stuff. Here in the Netherlands there'll probably think you are nutts. But I, the doubt and the responsibility off my wife and kids obey me to be ready.., if I am not too late allready to make such a stash what some people have. I loved your post and was just thinking about a budget and how to accomplish this in these difficult times we're in. I would like you to help me get started if that's possible. I would love some tips about what to store and what not. The mistakes you made when you got started so I won't have to make them too. I just got registred today and want to start right a way so i hope i get a respons soon. In the meantime i'll google a lot off tips what i find on the net and try to get started a little with basic things. Water supply etc. best regards T

for me the biggest mistake was not realizing what I did have. I was too busy looking at what I didnt have. That said start with what your first need will be. water ,work out a plan and backup plan for that. food etc. right on down the list as you think you'll need them. Go through life the next few days and seperate your wants from actual needs . Most of us have forgotten how. But a lot of people on this site has already done some serious soul searchin on the matter.you will appreciate their wisdom on the matter. plus realizing you have an actual need to prepare is about 80% i think. (I actually made that statistic up so dont take it to the bank) But nice to meet you, and God Bless. ps ask these guys you'd be amazed at their wisdom

Well thanks to .99 cent only stores here in california i was able to put a first aid kit for my wife's car together for under $10.00.
I was rather pleased with the stuff I was able to get. She is also most pleased to have it!

I'm a typical dude, according to my wife. I like shiny neat gadgets. I could spend so much money at countycomm.com but lately I've really come around to something I read and is probably a generally accepted principle in the survivalist world.

Knowledge > Gear

And between a lot of good forums and good videos on youtube and such, the knowledge is there for free.

I'm a typical dude, according to my wife. I like shiny neat gadgets. I could spend so much money at countycomm.com but lately I've really come around to something I read and is probably a generally accepted principle in the survivalist world.

Knowledge > Gear

And between a lot of good forums and good videos on youtube and such, the knowledge is there for free.
amen without it the gear is pretty much useless

I just listed a bunch of items on Ebay. You can do auctions starting at .99 and it only costs if it sells. I looked around the kitchen yesterday and I realized I had more food storage food to be put away then I have regular food to be consumed right away. It's surprising how fast you can stockpile by just spending 10.00 every time you go to the store. there are definite sacrifices like nice dinners out, movies, and trips but I end up feeling guilty if I do splurge on entertainment. Finding a balance between the present and the future is hard sometimes!

Look around your own house and idenify whay you have that can dual purpose for prepping. An old oil lamp not used put back into service for emergency lighting. How about using camping gear. An old school back pack that can be turned into a get home bag of supplies for your car. It doesn't have to be tacticool to be useful.

I am only just getting started myself, some information I've gleamed from others here is to buy things a little bit at a time and to buy things that are dual purpose.

I'm going to take this advice though, I have a ton of old performance car parts that aren't going to do me any good in the future, any buyers :p

Yeah I am thinking of selling some of the tobacco I have to buy more food and water, then I am going to finish my BOB! If I sold all of the tobacco that I have at half the cost of it I could make about $2300!

i've setup a ebay and paypal acount for im selling..only thing about that when it comes to what im selling so far is dickens xmas scenes.and stuff dont sell that well most of the year...so i've been looking for items that i can and most n likely sell..and of course what ever i sell.money goes into my paypal acount.and when needed.i'll transfer the money to my checking acount.bad thing about that is,it can take up to 5 buiesness days for the transfer to take place..

I cant sell the tobacco on ebay :( but I do use paypal often when I sell things. I really need to categorize my tobacco stores and start selling some of it off!

well it dont have to be tobacco you sell on ebay.go through what you have.there's probally stuff you dont need and/or use any more.we have a carveing knife we no longer need.i'll be takeing a pic of it so i can sell it for around $5.00 to $10.00 dollars

i've posted a deer born heater and 96 louise lamour books on Craigslist not long ago...hopefully at least one of them sells soon..

Latest posts

Back