Waxing commercial cheese?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lee

Reaction score
Someone mentioned waxing cheese as a method for prepping food and it dawned on me that Costco has huge chunks of cheese for sale that I can wax. Question is does anyone know what brand of cheese can be waxed at Costco?

Off the top of my head I remember Costco has Dubliner and maybe Cabot cheese. I know the harder cheeses are the ones to use and not the soft ones, any tips or hints?

I would assume any of your firmer cheeses, like the cheddars you mentioned, would make a good candidate to wax, but make sure you totally cover it in wax and I would do at least 2 or 3 dips. Once waxed, mold can still grow on your cheese if there is a small hole or crack.

good point about mold on the cheese and cracks in the wax..i've heard that cheese still ages when in wax..so you might try the mild seeing how it'll becaome sharp after a time..i dont know about the soft..so id stick with the hard cheese..

Someone mentioned waxing cheese as a method for prepping food and it dawned on me that Costco has huge chunks of cheese for sale that I can wax. Question is does anyone know what brand of cheese can be waxed at Costco?

Off the top of my head I remember Costco has Dubliner and maybe Cabot cheese. I know the harder cheeses are the ones to use and not the soft ones, any tips or hints?
I bought some smoked Gouda cheese from Costco and it had a wax shell on it. It is tends to be a bit softer of a cheese.
I just don't know how to apply the wax. Anyone here know how, and how to properly store it?

good point about mold on the cheese and cracks in the wax..i've heard that cheese still ages when in wax..so you might try the mild seeing how it'll becaome sharp after a time..i dont know about the soft..so id stick with the hard cheese..
It does Jim, but some of the aged cheeses are awesome, like the Dubliner Kenny mentioned. . .

Not sure about waxing cheese, have often frozen cheese with good results. Lately we freeze most foods prior to storage like flower, rice, wheat etc. kills all the bugs prior to vacuum sealing. It would be interesting to find out if cheese first frozen would last longer.
Vacuum sealing in a bottle is supposed to do the trick for cheese!!

im not sure about Vacuum sealing cheese in a bottle.only way i can think of off hand that might work.is attach a oxegen eater to the bottom side of the lid then screw on the lid after chesse is in the jar..and lid might seal as the oxagin is removed..

I bought some smoked Gouda cheese from Costco and it had a wax shell on it. It is tends to be a bit softer of a cheese.
I just don't know how to apply the wax. Anyone here know how, and how to properly store it?
MMMMM luv gouda and havarty u just made me hungry!

im not sure about Vacuum sealing cheese in a bottle.only way i can think of off hand that might work.is attach a oxegen eater to the bottom side of the lid then screw on the lid after chesse is in the jar..and lid might seal as the oxagin is removed..
Jar/bottle vacuum sealers remove most oxygen and seal the lid down.

I have no real experience in dealing with long-term cheese storage - just a few things seen on You-Tube. My wife purchased a vacuum sealer canister the other day but without the pump, we are using a modified car foot pump. The contents of the jar expand and take up the whole volume of the jar and the lid sucks in tight esp those lids that have a central push down 'button' that let you know if the jar is sealed or not.

Yeah adding an oxygen absorber would work one could use both for added security.
http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheese_hardware_vacuum_sealer.html

ahh good idea n good point hippophibia.. i hadnt thought of the vacum sealer..it and a oxygen absorber just mght work...

I've thought about this myself. Not talking just cheese but everything...I prefer not to freeze. What are you going to do if the grid goes down? All my food stores are shelf safe. No refrigeration no nothing. I need to find the wax and just go for it.

oh ok,my mistake.guess i mssunderstood what you ere saying.the diffrent types of cheese is all i know about when it comes to waxing any thing..

I wasn't talking about waxing. I was taking about not using freezers. Can you wax other stuff?
Perhaps I did not explain it too well. I first freeze everything e.g. wheat for 3-6 weeks then remove and put into dry storage - bottle, Vacuum seal or something,
The freezing is used as an extra process to kill bugs, weevils and their eggs perhaps bacteria prior to long-term storage. Thought it might be usefully as a pre -storage process on cheese but have no idea.

These guys (link below) say that waxing gives a shelf life of 8-10years - I personally never though one could get such a long storage life on cheese.
http://preparetodaywardnewsletter.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/waxing-cheese-shelf-stable-eggs.html

Cool blog-site came up on first search - I am bookmarking this one!

Latest posts

Back