Watermelon

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalm 7

God Like
Reaction score
I was going to save this until mid summer when they are in season but since I thought of it here it is . I had a Great Aunt that would use the pink layer next to the rine on water melons to make preaserves just use this like you would any other fruit . This was very good almost as good as cherry presearves . My great Auint and Uncle were the most self suficient folk I've ever known they pasted away in the 1980's . I got to spend alot of time around them while growing up . They were around long enough to know ancestors that rode with Forrest and fought under the Stars and Bars with Bragg and Hood . They whispered when telling me Civil War stories not sure if they should tell me these things .

LOL!, My grandmother and a great uncle told me some of those stories before they passed. I dare not repeat some of those in public...o_O

Good to know about watermelon rind. I'll have to try that.

I have seen pickled watermelon rind but it's been a long time. I'd swear it still had the outside part on it, too, just cut into bite-size chunks. I was wondering about that today as I transplanted my watermelon plants. Does anyone have any recipes for preserving watermelon or am I going to have to eat them all this summer? (no hardship that!)

I have seen pickled watermelon rind but it's been a long time. I'd swear it still had the outside part on it, too, just cut into bite-size chunks. I was wondering about that today as I transplanted my watermelon plants. Does anyone have any recipes for preserving watermelon or am I going to have to eat them all this summer? (no hardship that!)
I sliced them in spears and pickeled them just like regular dill pickles. I shared some at work and had a mixed review. About half loved em and half hated them! Last year I pickeled zucchini, watermelon, okra (yum) and squash. Don't bother with the squash! Everything else was ok. The zukes were better than the watermelon, but both were edible. I did try a batch of watermelon wine, but it sowered and was thrown out!

I make jelly out of my watermelons and one of hunny's and neighbors favorites. In fact since I started making it a couple years ago, neighbor sends a watermelon and case of jars down to me, Is that a hint or what :) I have the recipe for pickled rinds but have yet to make them. I figure I have pickles coming out of my ears as it is.

I make jelly out of my watermelons and one of hunny's and neighbors favorites. In fact since I started making it a couple years ago, neighbor sends a watermelon and case of jars down to me, Is that a hint or what :) I have the recipe for pickled rinds but have yet to make them. I figure I have pickles coming out of my ears as it is.
I did some rind pickles and they were decent. Like you though, I usually have way too many jars of pickles each season.

I am really thinking I may have to try out the recipe using cinnamon candies and watermelon rinds. That one will definitely be a change in 'pickle' recipes. I know grandma would make sure we saved the rinds as a kid after a picnic to make these. Although I wish I had her recipe, I never was around when she made them or even tasted hers. It all will depend on how life is going at that particular time of harvest. This week has just been busy! You never know what life is going to throw your way and you just have to make things happen as best you can.

Latest posts

Back