Water

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirsoftVillager

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm quite new to prepping, obviously, and I have a few questions. This one is from my fourteen year old prepper ;)

"Can we store water in coke bottles?" I'm pretty sure you can store things like rice and pasta in here for some time, but what about tap water? If it's safe, then great! We can get that water pretty easily and the coke bottles shouldn't be a problem.

As always, any feedback is appreciated. Thank-you :)

Learning distillation Is the best bet, I have no idea how long tap water lasts but it isn't as long a you'd imagine, there is other threads on this subject here, rather than us go through it all here have a read of all the threads mate

You can use soda bottles to store your water, but it will taste flat. If you pour the water from container to container, you add O2 back into it and the water loses the flat taste. If it's been stored for awhile add a drop or two of bleach (unscented only) to it, shake and then do the adding air bit. Emp is right, you do need either a filtration system or a supply of clean water like from your own well or spring.

Money for a filtration system??? Pressure cooker , copper piping and a fire ,,job done, springs are usefull lucky for me I'm about 100 yards from one

Lucky you then. Were looking to buy one of those fancy hand pump ones. We have a lot of natural streams around and the water is clear naturally. I know this dosn't mean it's clean, but most of our local water sources are brown or black :p So we are going to purify that water.

You can get purification systems pretty cheap. Most are hand pumped but not horribly expensive. You can buy one that will let you drink salt-water even. The smallest one there is like 250 bucks but still not bad for what it does.

Distillig works, just like Emp said. Me personally I'd jut make a normal still for making shine so I could make liquor in the off time I don't need water. But thats jst my opinon!! :)

G'day
Keep all the coke bottles, and during the day lay them out in the sun. Depending on the heat, this will determine the amount of condensation in each bottle. It works if you are in a fix, and only in the summer time too ( that's 2-3 days total in England?? :D ) It's a little off the original topic, but it's another use for a coke bottle!!

If the bottles are thoroughly cleaned inside and out you can use em, Long term storage; boil the water in a big enough pot to submerge the whole bottle, let water cool to the touch submerge the bottle completely so all air is out, screw on the cap while the bottle is submerged, melt paraffin wax, dip the neck, cap in the wax and store in cool place away from the sun and wide swings of temp, the bottled water will last a year in storage if not longer ;)

Latest posts

Back