water wells

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems to me that the first need that will supersede all necessities post shtf is water. We always talk about water purification and water storage but there has to be at some point a sustainable water source or life will become very difficult. So some of you experts need to step to the plate with well advice for different areas of the world. Iny area the water table is extremely shallow therefore good drinking water is easy to obtain
Most wells are drilled to about 100' but that is usually about 80 feet past the water table. They overdrill to compensate for higher flow rates from greater depth. The best drinking water in my area comes from about 60' down. Thats right three joints of pvc pipe. Was with that said you might be surprised at how easy you could acheive awell in your area. First of all if you already have a well nearby making it a reliable water source makes alot more sense than drilling a new one. Check around and see how many wells are in your immediate proximity. Figure out what you ll need to make it manually operable. Please post your expertise and your questions and your comments. This seems to be a topic not covered nearly enough. Thanks guys

Where we are we have well water in the house. It depends on electricity to get water up. Somehow I need to figure out how to make that not so grid dependent! On the other hand, hubby and I started pounding in a sand-point a couple years ago. I think we got to our destination but because we were relying in electricity to work our pump we never got it to produce water (too far from the house, extension cord wasn't rated high enough, yada yada yada.) Ever since our power went out I keep eyeing that sand-point well thinking it is the answer to all my problems. So...I'll be watching this thread and in the meanwhile maybe I'll try to do a little "GOOGLING" to come up with an answer.

That's a good question. I'll have to check with hubby. It must not have been too deep if we pounded by hand...We did choose a low spot.

The water table generally follows the lay of the land. Not being much difference between the high spots and the low spots. But sometimes in the low spots you can get water pressure from above to help lift the water or even push it out as in a free flowing spring.

Where we are we have well water in the house. It depends on electricity to get water up. Somehow I need to figure out how to make that not so grid dependent! On the other hand, hubby and I started pounding in a sand-point a couple years ago. I think we got to our destination but because we were relying in electricity to work our pump we never got it to produce water (too far from the house, extension cord wasn't rated high enough, yada yada yada.) Ever since our power went out I keep eyeing that sand-point well thinking it is the answer to all my problems. So...I'll be watching this thread and in the meanwhile maybe I'll try to do a little "GOOGLING" to come up with an answer.

Why wont a hand pump work for emergency use?

Well, 50 feet to the east we tried digging with some awesome piece of equipment (renting is such an awesome concept when you want POWER tools :D ) and had water seeping into the hole so the water table can't be too low in that area. But we've had a drought for the past 5 years (or something obnoxious like that) so ...

Well, 50 feet to the east we tried digging with some awesome piece of equipment (renting is such an awesome concept when you want POWER tools :D ) and had water seeping into the hole so the water table can't be too low in that area. But we've had a drought for the past 5 years (or something obnoxious like that) so ...
You can run you casing at the low place and have it stick up above ground level and capitalize on that pressure. Pour you a concrete pad around it and drop a waterline in the casing. Attach a pump.

Latest posts

Back