water wells

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems to me that the first need that will supersede all necessities post shtf is water. We always talk about water purification and water storage but there has to be at some point a sustainable water source or life will become very difficult. So some of you experts need to step to the plate with well advice for different areas of the world. Iny area the water table is extremely shallow therefore good drinking water is easy to obtain
Most wells are drilled to about 100' but that is usually about 80 feet past the water table. They overdrill to compensate for higher flow rates from greater depth. The best drinking water in my area comes from about 60' down. Thats right three joints of pvc pipe. Was with that said you might be surprised at how easy you could acheive awell in your area. First of all if you already have a well nearby making it a reliable water source makes alot more sense than drilling a new one. Check around and see how many wells are in your immediate proximity. Figure out what you ll need to make it manually operable. Please post your expertise and your questions and your comments. This seems to be a topic not covered nearly enough. Thanks guys

there's a well between 100-200 feet from the house here.it aint been use for who knows how many years..and from i been told,is it's a deep well.i guess 60-100 feet deep.i been thinking of replaceing the pump house n all seeing how it's falling apart.then running plumbing over for sprinkler system.another over for a garden.then another line to the house for indoor use..if i run a line to the house,then i can just run it over to where the main water line comes up to the house at.and connect a y shut off vaule for both so i can use which ever one i decide to go with..another type of well i've heard of is.dig a 40-80 foot deep hole.20/40 feet wide.insert a concrete/rock wall with holes towards the bottom of it in the middle..then back fill the outside area of it with sand.this allows rain water to soak through the sand,then into the well through the openings at the bottom..and of course.go with a bucket to draw the water that way.or hook up pump and plumbing to it..

p.s. solar power might be best route to take when it comes to a pump

This is something I started researching last fall. It allows you to put in your own well by hand. It looks interesting and doable. Now the frost is out of the ground my wife and I may attempt this. I am going to run it past a plumber friend of mine. I think it can be done in our area as the first water table is only about 30 feet down. We are in sand the whole way. When our house well was put in the driller said it was easiest well he ever put in. 101 feet and sand the whole way down. The website gives real good directions with several videos showing how to do each step even it the set up of equipment. Check it out:

ttp://www.drillyourownwell.com/Basic_Well_Drilling_Steps.htm

I wish we'd had sand to go through. The well drillers drilled through rock, rock, rock, rock, and then some more rock. Where we live, is approximately the stopping point of the glaciers from the last ice age, so it's just crap level after crap level. There's a name for it and for the life of me, I can't remember it. The spring we have however, is the sweetest tasting water I've had in years.

It seems to me that the first need that will supersede all necessities post shtf is water. We always talk about water purification and water storage but there has to be at some point a sustainable water source or life will become very difficult. So some of you experts need to step to the plate with well advice for different areas of the world. Iny area the water table is extremely shallow therefore good drinking water is easy to obtain
Most wells are drilled to about 100' but that is usually about 80 feet past the water table. They overdrill to compensate for higher flow rates from greater depth. The best drinking water in my area comes from about 60' down. Thats right three joints of pvc pipe. Was with that said you might be surprised at how easy you could acheive awell in your area. First of all if you already have a well nearby making it a reliable water source makes alot more sense than drilling a new one. Check around and see how many wells are in your immediate proximity. Figure out what you ll need to make it manually operable. Please post your expertise and your questions and your comments. This seems to be a topic not covered nearly enough. Thanks guys

If you have well that is dug, make sure that you are able to convert it into a hand pumped well since electricity won't probably be available. I have a well, but it can be converted if need be, along with a canal that boarders my property, that would have to be purified, unfortunately. . . but still water. My well is good and have run it out to all the different pastures for the animals. I am hoping that one day we can run it to the house too. It really wouldn't take much, but hubby is only concerned about the animals and garden right now.

Latest posts

Back