water storage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive seen alot of people talking about storing large amounts of water just an FYI witch im sure everyone knows but unless your water if distilled and filtered and heat sealed in containers IE... botteled water
it will go bad yes self filling tap water into bottles or containers for storing for long periods of time is not a good plain for drinking water Im not sure exact days but self filled water bottels and jugs not distilled and filtered will start growing bacteria and other harmfull things
Just a little info to help keep you from getting stomach problems in a Bug out scenario

Thats why its a good idea to have a nice supply of Iodine Tablets. I think other things like bleach etc works as well.

Iodine tabs are great for a bug out bag, but I always wonder why you would not just boil the water if you are hunkered in and set up somewhere?

Are water cooler bottles sealed by the culligan man suitable for long term storage??

There are a lot of people around where I live that have large water storage tanks because they live on the side of a mountain and it is too expensive to drill a well that deep. As far as I know they don't do anything special to their water. I think as long as the container is clean and the sun isn't allowed to shine on it growing algae you shouldn't get too much microbial growth.

Ive seen alot of people talking about storing large amounts of water just an FYI witch im sure everyone knows but unless your water if distilled and filtered and heat sealed in containers IE... botteled water
it will go bad yes self filling tap water into bottles or containers for storing for long periods of time is not a good plain for drinking water Im not sure exact days but self filled water bottels and jugs not distilled and filtered will start growing bacteria and other harmfull things
Just a little info to help keep you from getting stomach problems in a Bug out scenario
We have about 150 water containers from the culligan man. We put Pool Shock in it and have had some for about 1 1/2 yrs and they are still good. I will be changing the water every 2 yrs. The pool shock keeps it good longer than bleach. Pool Shock doesn't have all the unhealty stuff that bleach has. I have now set up my renewable water system to catch rain water. The system goes into large containers of 300 gal. The small ones are under the house so no light gets to it and it stays cool.

t

i

Well, I've started storing water but only water in sealed containers...but I need to store MORE...I'm hypothyroid so can't use iodine so my only option is either boiling it or chlorine tablets

Stock a few packs of water bottles.. They will stay good for a while. In the case of a SHTF or any Kind of survival situation boiling the water for 3-5 mins will purifie the water. As a science project I decided to build a few water filters from items in the wilderness. For the most part,The best filter had sand and leafs. But when I put in dirty water it came out drinkable clean. So incase of desperation that is always a option or even before boiling it, its not a bad idea to filter it.
Best of Luck

Latest posts

Back