Water Storage Question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissa7

Reaction score
I've read several different instructions on how to store tap water in 2-liter soda containers. I know how to clean and sanitize them, but that's where my question comes in...

If you sanitize the bottles with the water/bleach solution before filling them with tap water, then do you still need to add 2 drops of bleach to each bottle after they are full?

Thanks in advance! :)

I've read several different instructions on how to store tap water in 2-liter soda containers. I know how to clean and sanitize them, but that's where my question comes in...

If you sanitize the bottles with the water/bleach solution before filling them with tap water, then do you still need to add 2 drops of bleach to each bottle after they are full?

Thanks in advance! :)

If your using tap water it is already treated, if you want to for safety reasons then 3 to 4 drops would be fine though that depends if you are using concentrated clorox or standard clorox though keep in mind I don't recommend using anything that didn't have water in it (personal opinion) to begin with regardless how clean you think it is, since it had pop in it the only true way to clean it is by heat (boiling) though the bottles won't handle those temps. The pop bottles will work in a pinch but not as a long term water storage (beyond 6 months) ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Well, yes, I am in a pinch (poor!), so I will have to use the pop bottles. I don't buy bottled water...if I want water, I just get a glass of tap water. My drink of choice is Mountain Dew, so the bottles are green, and yes, I would be storing them in closets, not in the sunlight. And I know to date them, and refill after 6 months.

This is my only method of water storage at the moment, and storing some is better than none. I just wanted to know about the bleach. And I do have plain, unscented regular bleach, not concentrated.

Thanks again :)

Thanks for the reply. Well, yes, I am in a pinch (poor!), so I will have to use the pop bottles. I don't buy bottled water...if I want water, I just get a glass of tap water. My drink of choice is Mountain Dew, so the bottles are green, and yes, I would be storing them in closets, not in the sunlight. And I know to date them, and refill after 6 months.

This is my only method of water storage at the moment, and storing some is better than none. I just wanted to know about the bleach. And I do have plain, unscented regular bleach, not concentrated.

Thanks again :)
I used a lot of soda bottles and they look fine well after 6 months. Cool and dark is optimal storage of course. I think working with what you have on hand is smart, then as you can afford you can upgrade. I even lined the bottom of the chest freezer with mostly filled soda bottles. First they will help the freezer stay cold longer in an outage, and second you can drink the water in an emergency. I did use regular treated tap water in all mine, but still added the bleach just to prolong the shelf life. I'm lucky here to have two streams on the property. Of course it needs to be treated or filtered, but at least I have a close supply.

im on a budget as well.and one thing i've learned,that i can do when i have the lil extra money.is to buy the 1 gallon jugs of water at wall mart for something around 68 cent a gallon.i'll buy 2 to 6 gallons at a time.

I'd say you have some options, even with using the soda pop bottles. A friend of mine did like Maverick and Brent suggested. He decided to do one additional option, which made pretty good sense and then you knew they were good to drink and that was to use a handheld filter, ones we take backpacking. He is also a water geek by trade, so he ran a micropor water testing on sample A, a 1 litter soda bottle stored in direct sunlight, his test indicated bacti growth, Sample B was 1 litter soda bottle stored in a dark location, low temperature, while their was some positive indicators that were noted as growth, it was still acceptable for emergency conditions, he ran the water filter through it and ran another bacti test and found no positive test. I know that you might not have the $ right now, Melissa, but something to keep in the back of your mind, even a simple Drink tube is pretty affordable. Just thoughts.

I want to clarify my statement as why I don't recommend pop bottles as long term storage. Sugar being a facilitator of bacteria, in a post-shtf the immune system is already weaken by stress and changes in sleep patterns and eating habits, any slight bacteria taken in an already compromised immune system can lead to unforeseen consequences so I kindly air on the side of caution ....or just call it paranoid or...

Well, diet soda bottles, no sugar residue....

aspartame, sucralose and saccharin is no different than sugar regarding accelerated bacteria growth, in fact the 3 artificial sweeteners changes the bacteria in the gut to bad bacteria, that's why some folks with glucose intolerance have a problem with diet pop. One example, aspartame (asp-phe segments) is harvested from bacteria, The same bacteria that's related to e. coli ;)

I'd say you have some options, even with using the soda pop bottles. A friend of mine did like Maverick and Brent suggested. He decided to do one additional option, which made pretty good sense and then you knew they were good to drink and that was to use a handheld filter, ones we take backpacking. He is also a water geek by trade, so he ran a micropor water testing on sample A, a 1 litter soda bottle stored in direct sunlight, his test indicated bacti growth, Sample B was 1 litter soda bottle stored in a dark location, low temperature, while their was some positive indicators that were noted as growth, it was still acceptable for emergency conditions, he ran the water filter through it and ran another bacti test and found no positive test. I know that you might not have the $ right now, Melissa, but something to keep in the back of your mind, even a simple Drink tube is pretty affordable. Just thoughts.

I understand. And I do have one of those safety straw filters. In a month or two, I'm going to buy a smaller-size Berkley filter. I've watched videos on them and they can filter just about anything. I have a swimming pool 10 yards from my door, and a creek that always has water in it about 30 yards away. The creek would definitely be harder to get to because there's lots of trees and a steep incline, but my g-daughter's been down there before, trying to catch minnows. I think the Berkley would filter both of these water sources, as well as stored tap water.

Thanks for the warning & advice. I do heed what you guys say on here, ya know! :D

aspartame, sucralose and saccharin is no different than sugar regarding accelerated bacteria growth, in fact the 3 artificial sweeteners changes the bacteria in the gut to bad bacteria, that's why some folks with glucose intolerance have a problem with diet pop. One example, aspartame (asp-phe segments) is harvested from bacteria, The same bacteria that's related to e. coli ;)

Yuck, that's just gross! :eek:

always remember.there's always a strong possibility the creek water wont be the same in a shtf situation.in other words.it's possible someone will poison it,if not something else to make it worse.so you might want to check out whats up stream from you.

always remember.there's always a strong possibility the creek water wont be the same in a shtf situation.in other words.it's possible someone will poison it,if not something else to make it worse.so you might want to check out whats up stream from you.

Good point. I didn't think of that. I just assumed since there were minnows in it, that it must be okay (for now). I need to find it's source. It might be hard because it runs through the backyards of a suburban neighborhood. I think it's pretty long. I've seen deer nibbling on people's bushes...they must stay close to the creek line where the trees are. We have a lot of protected wetland in the area, but contractors just build around those areas. It will be hard to follow since I can't go into people's yards. I guess I could get some sturdy shoes and just walk in the actual creek, but then I'd be stuck where ever it ends. Hmm....

Maybe I'll just stick to the pool and/or my own stored water! :oops:

minnows is good..them being there means the water is good to go.fewer to no minnows means something is wrong..and same with all other forms of wildlife.more there is,the better...fewer of them,then it aint safe..and no one says you gotta go through backyards and all..check and see if there's a city map that shows where the creeks are..it'll either show residential areas and business areas alike..but make sure if has the streets and their names.that alone might help out quiet a bit.

minnows is good..them being there means the water is good to go.fewer to no minnows means something is wrong..and same with all other forms of wildlife.more there is,the better...fewer of them,then it aint safe..and no one says you gotta go through backyards and all..check and see if there's a city map that shows where the creeks are..it'll either show residential areas and business areas alike..but make sure if has the streets and their names.that alone might help out quiet a bit.

It did. Although Googlemaps ended up helping the most. I found out that my little creek ends not far from here and is actually a storm drainage creek. It leads away from my house and intersects with a larger, longer creek, which then leads to the Little Miami River that winds through the county. I believe it all ends up in the Ohio River, which is pretty big.

Thanks for the tip. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of maps! Duh...:confused:

It did. Although Googlemaps ended up helping the most. I found out that my little creek ends not far from here and is actually a storm drainage creek. It leads away from my house and intersects with a larger, longer creek, which then leads to the Little Miami River that winds through the county. I believe it all ends up in the Ohio River, which is pretty big.

Thanks for the tip. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of maps! Duh...:confused:
Modern technology is great! If we do have a shtf situation, I'm really going to miss a lot of our 'comforts'.

yeah.i have my belated thoughts as well.. Untitled1.jpg

Latest posts

Back