Water Scarcity

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

“Jackson, Mississippi, preparing to go without water periodically for up to 10 years as crisis continues​

1675004238815.png

JACKSON, Miss – Organizations in Jackson, Mississippi, are asking for help from other states as the water crisis dries up resources.

It’s been over five months since the Pearl River crested and Jackson, Mississippi’s water system failed. Now, crews are working to replace the pipe system, but families and businesses are prepared to go without water periodically, for up to 10 years.

Cities across the country are replacing fragile water pipe systems. Besides Jackson, there's Flint, Michigan, Baltimore, Maryland, and Houston, Texas.

The systems are replaced section-by-section after failure. But, these years-long projects can cause water main breaks…”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jackson-...periodically-for-up-10-years-crisis-continues

How many trillions have we spent, or given in the Middle East over the last 20 years? We could have rebuilt the bridges, and water systems in America for that, possibly even the electrical grid.

That's how people like Pelosi have made $200 million as a public servant. Who will drain the swamp?

“Jackson, Mississippi, preparing to go without water periodically for up to 10 years as crisis continues​

View attachment 18781

JACKSON, Miss – Organizations in Jackson, Mississippi, are asking for help from other states as the water crisis dries up resources.

It’s been over five months since the Pearl River crested and Jackson, Mississippi’s water system failed. Now, crews are working to replace the pipe system, but families and businesses are prepared to go without water periodically, for up to 10 years.

Cities across the country are replacing fragile water pipe systems. Besides Jackson, there's Flint, Michigan, Baltimore, Maryland, and Houston, Texas.

The systems are replaced section-by-section after failure. But, these years-long projects can cause water main breaks…”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jackson-...periodically-for-up-10-years-crisis-continues
Joy Addison, who wrote that article, is guilty of gross journalistic malpractice. A new low in truthful reporting (and you didn't think they could get any lower) for the Mainstream Media, and especially for Fox News.

The Justice Department has done an intervention and taken over management of the Jackson water system. The intervention was approved by a judge back in NOVEMBER. Why hasn't Joy heard about it?? There was not ONE SINGLE WORD about it that I could find anywhere in her article, which is dated TODAY.
Attorney General Garland actually did something useful for a change. Of course they jumped in because Jackson is 83% black and run by Democrats, but...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-environment/jackson-gets-intervention-water-crisis
The Justice Department, the city of Jackson, and state officials reached an agreement for an interim water manager, and the DOJ filed a proposal Tuesday as all sides work to negotiate a court-enforced consent decree for the long-term outlook of the city's water situation. Now that a judge has approved it, Edward “Ted” Henifin will assume the post.

Even though I have be deluged with water and it’s after effects lately.
I am looking at a place with city water and a well and pond for the my final chapter. Well might need some parts, I don’t mind. I would use it for Horses and backup.
Don’t need the trend I see coming of Govt taxing water out of your well. Don’t think that is possible?
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/artic...er-proposed-well-water-fees-under-pioneering/Want to cover all my basis. Don’t mind throwing in a storage tank into the mix.

The demographics of Jackson says it all. Of course they probably can't spell corruption, but that is the main problem there.
There are two Jacksons. Northeast Jackson, where I grew up and where two of my sisters still live, and the rest of the city. Northeast Jackson is like a big bubble. If you didn't stray outside of Northeast Jackson, you wouldn't know how bad the "other Jackson" was...well, except for the crumbling streets. There are some very affluent neighborhoods like Eastover and Sherwood Forest, and some old money neighborhoods like Woodland Hills, and some artsy fartsy historic neighborhoods like Belhaven. And they are pretty much still the same as when I grew up. (except for the aforementioned crumbling streets). We lived not too far from Eastover, and my father used to joke that we lived in "Leftover."

There are two Jacksons. Northeast Jackson, where I grew up and where two of my sisters still live, and the rest of the city. If you didn't stray outside of Northeast Jackson, you wouldn't know how bad the "other Jackson" was...well, except for the crumbling streets. There are some very affluent neighborhoods like Eastover, and some old money neighborhoods like Woodland Hills, and some artsy fartsy historic neighborhoods like Belhaven. And they are pretty much still the same as when I grew up. We lived not too far from Eastover, and my father used to joke that we lived in "Leftover."
I've been to Mississippi a few times on business, not sure if I ever went through Jackson though. I'm sure it's like most places; good and bad. I was surprised at how nice northern Mississippi was. I bought our last lab from a breeder in Oxford Mississippi, then 10 weeks later I had him flown to Alaska.

Though this has been discussed many times , some appear to think they can simply store up some water and they are good for SHTF . I bring this back up because the most likely and likely very soon SHTF is Nuclear bombs raining down in our country of residence . At this point our water needs is more than just having water for a month or two but for decades . Some seem to have this notion that they will be able to get in their vehicle with their water containers and go fetch some water from a lake or stream . I won't even try at the moment to point out how ridiculous this notion is . --- This is to underscore the importance of having that survival retreat with a water source and garden capable area that can be independent of the need of piped in water or a grocery store . Time is running out until SHTF day .

Water itself is not able to hold radioactivity. It's radioisotopes in the water that make it radioactive.
I'm certain a reverse osmosis filter will render it safe enough to drink. I'm not sure about the other types of filters. I imagine distillation will remove enough radioactivity to make it safe, but a combination of distillation and reverse osmosis should work well.
There is a company that claims to have filters that effectively remove radioisotopes...
https://www.happypreppers.com/seychelle.html
At any rate, BOL1 and BOL2 both have underground water sources sufficiently isolated from surface water contamination.

My well is only 60 feet deep, but hopefully deep enough to not get any radioactive crap in the water. At least for the time I need. We have a nuclear powerplant 5 miles away, exactly like the one in Chernobyl here and it produces 85 % of the power for all of Hungary. We also know how bad Zelensky and the Ukraine hate Hungary for not sanctioning Russia/Putin and are afraid they might send a drone our way.....
Chernobyl was hundreds of miles away and we still have radioactive dirt here and lots of deformed animal births.

Water itself is not able to hold radioactivity. It's radioisotopes in the water that make it radioactive.
I'm certain a reverse osmosis filter will render it safe enough to drink. I'm not sure about the other types of filters. I imagine distillation will remove enough radioactivity to make it safe, but a combination of distillation and reverse osmosis should work well.
There is a company that claims to have filters that effectively remove radioisotopes...
https://www.happypreppers.com/seychelle.html
At any rate, BOL1 and BOL2 both have underground water sources sufficiently isolated from surface water contamination.

Most good filters will remove the isotopes. You need to have 2 filters. One as a pre filter.

Too pricey for its water output ($2,950)
I don't want anything that requires an Internet connection...
And I don't like having to add minerals and the maintenance.
https://www.source.co/hydropanel-r3/But it's an interesting possibility.
If it didn't have these issues, I'd consider ordering a flock of them and supplement the water supply, but maybe some day there'll be an alternate invention with fewer strings and lower unit cost?
Anyone know of an alternate solar water production device?

Anyone know of an alternate solar water production device?
Hi Dave, I have been doing survival trainings since back in 1974 and there are just too many ways to get water from the air. Small slanted tables with glass or plastic tops and black interiors to collect water, de-humidifiers with air filters to collect water, solar distillation stills, nets to catch fog, de-salination systems, simple little plexiglas boxes with just leaves and grass in it to create your own condensation water, plastic bags wrapped around plants or tree branches, bottles arranged to collect rain to be filtered or used directly in the garden....just spend some time in the You-tube and look for that which fits your part of the world and personal needs for drinking, animal needs or even small gardens.

Hi Dave, I have been doing survival trainings since back in 1974 and there are just too many ways to get water from the air. Small slanted tables with glass or plastic tops and black interiors to collect water, de-humidifiers with air filters to collect water, solar distillation stills, nets to catch fog, de-salination systems, simple little plexiglas boxes with just leaves and grass in it to create your own condensation water, plastic bags wrapped around plants or tree branches, bottles arranged to collect rain to be filtered or used directly in the garden....just spend some time in the You-tube and look for that which fits your part of the world and personal needs for drinking, animal needs or even small gardens.
In 74, I was in Logistics, and beyond training, I’ve never had the occasion or need to do any of those since then. We had it pretty good compared to the guys who had to deal with water from the delta, inland rivers, or do rain water collection. The engineers produced/supplied an incredible amount of water, and without it, survival would have been tenuous.

Flash forward to 2023, you are right, there's plenty of water in the air, especially here in Florida. I'm looking for something that would reliably produce tens of gallons per day. Scaled up, all your methods could work, but they'd be flakey without frequent tweaking. I'm looking for something that runs itself, and that could supplement a sizable group.

Currently, I have extensive rooftop rainwater collection that dumps into gray water tanks, valved so it could be filtered beyond what’s required. Our huge amount of AC condensate also dumps into gray water tanks. With more gray water than we need, and minimal spring/well sourced water, I'm a little concerned about our primary dependence on city water for a multi-year shtf event. (We do have lots of stored/tanked city water, kept topped off.)

What I have a lot of is sunshine and rooftop space, which is why I wish there was a better alternative to the hydro-panel.

Latest posts

Back