Water Scarcity

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, all understood. The only real alternative to your (assumed) large needs of constant water supply is a well. Being in Florida you should be able to not need to drill or even dig too deep to get some fresh water. Good luck looking.
Maybe a sand point could be an option to get water. I've driven in 3 sand points and got good water from 2 of the points, the third hit a rock and got stuck. I went down maybe 30-35 feet.

The simplest thing I have used is a clear plastic tarp, attached to trees at the corner, pulled down in a funnel shape at the center with a bucket at the bottom, hole in the tarp at the low point.. We have some pretty high humidities here though.

Would that water be considered distilled/demineralized?
I'm just wondering what effects long term consumption of water without minerals would have on nervous systems....I know they added a "mineral pack" to it. I'm thinking more along the lines of a DIY air gathering system post SHTF.

Last edited:

Talkative guy in the video, but he explained the hydro-panel much better than the company's website, which is the link I originally posted. I had not heard about the noisy fans (which sound a lot like server fans in a data center - loud!) Our 200 ft deep well is over 20 years old and either we missed them, or nitrate levels have been increasing, so although we can filter nitrates out with reverse osmosis, it isn't our first choice as our #1 source in case of shtf because its output has dropped significantly in the last few years (maybe sediment?) and filtering the nitrates also limits daily output. I could put the money into making the well better and a bigger reverse osmosis system, and I probably will, but Gary is right, well water is probably our best bet. Also, to consider, biting the bullet and perhaps drill a new well, maybe in a better location/depth? Maybe we can get a shallower static water level and a better recovery rate....and no nitrates?! I won't hold my breath, but maybe?

Last edited:
Would that water be considered distilled/demineralized?
I'm just wondering what effects long term consumption of water without minerals would have on nervous systems....I know they added a "mineral pack" to it. I'm thinking more along the lines of a DIY air gathering system post SHTF.
I understand that if a person only drank distilled water they would eventually die from the lack of minerals. Don't know if this is true or not or how long it would take.

I understand that if a person only drank distilled water they would eventually die from the lack of minerals. Don't know if this is true or not or how long it would take.
Yeah, I always thought distilled water leached the minerals from your body, but apparently not...
(We still add back minerals for taste!)
Yes distilled water lacks minerals, No it does not cause mineral deficiencies. Even mineral water has so few minerals in it, you could not depend on it as a dietary mineral source. We get minerals from food, not water. Distilled water does not leach minerals from your body. Naval sailors have been drinking distilled water for years without any ill effects. Development agencies supply water distillers as water purifiers to people in the developing world.
https://www.megahome-distillers.co.uk/nine-myths-about-drinking-distilled-waterTo get enough Sodium from Evian, you would need to drink 882 litres a day. It you were able to drink that much mineral water you would overload your system and die before you got any of the benefits. The fact is, we get vitamins and minerals from food.

As long as you get the minerals from food, you'll be OK, but if you don't eat anything, it's absolutely true.

Do a search for "water intoxication". There are a number of well publicized cases of people dying from drinking too much water without sufficient electrolytes.

Here is a recent case from this summer:
https://www.today.com/health/news/water-intoxication-death-rcna99472

My studies of many stories of water intoxication tells me that the problem of drinking this amount of water in a short period only affects that portion of the population who have a reduced electrolyte level or salts in the first place.
If you go swimming in fresh water, your hands and feet will get wrinkly from water "drawing" the salt out of your body thru the large pores in your fingers, palm and the soles of your feet. This goes away in a short time as the body replaces the salt in your hands and feet. This will not happen in salty water normally.
The problem of drinking too much water at one time would also be the same happening here.
The water taken in, is distributed in the body too fast into the brain, resulting in a fast swelling and creation of cranial overpressure, resulting in the loss of blood circulation and leading to the death of your brain cells from within.
This would also explain the lack of brain activity in this tragic story.
In my survival trainings, I always expressed the importance of not drinking more than a single glass
(4 ounces/200 ml) of anything at one time and keeping it in your mouth for a bit to "pre-warm" it so the body does not consume the extra calories needed to "heat" the drink to body temperatures in the stomach. Especially in winter, this steals calories needed for survival.
Just in the same way you should never eat snow or ice (besides dirtiness), the body must use lots of calories to re-heat the snow to body level temps and burns needed energy.
All of the needed intake of fluids must be distributed over the day and while, working at moderate temps.
Also, coffee and tea are now considered "water" intake contrary to older teachings. BUT, juices, wine and milk are not so-called "water" intake. They are too concentrated and need water to facilitate digestion. They do taste good and relieve the body of fluid needs but are not WATER.

Talented guy! I especially liked his floating inlet pipe to avoid sediment.
It sounds like he has dodged disease and appeased his governmental overlords!
Our shopping center has literally acres of flat metal rooftop that dumps into our rainwater tanks.
We use mostly 16" and 24" schedule 40 PVC pipe to divert the rainwater. We bought our pipes many years ago when PVC wasn't priced so crazy. (24-inch pipe is now like $150 per linear foot!!) Our tanks are 5000-gallon polyethylene tanks that are each about 9 feet wide and probably 12 to 15 feet high. They are really heavy, but nowhere near as difficult to set up as the tank in the video. Ours sit on top of poured 6000 psi concrete and so far (!) have been trouble free.

Do you want to know why Ghadaffi was really killed?
Because he wanted to make the world pay for his oil in GOLD, get the African nations to join his move to create the Gold Dinar and he built about 4000 kilometes of "riverbeds", underground pipelines and pump stations to collect and distribute the fresh water his people found under the Sahara desert. He wanted to turn the entire north side of Africa into a paradise of greenery and a self-sustaining group of nations which would no longer need to IMPORT the cheap, subsidized foodstuffs from the EU nations like Germany, France and Spain, because the food which was produced in Africa is more expensive to produce and was not subsidized. The local farmers did not make enough money to survive as this WEF plan was working.
Ghadaffi had zero un-employment except for those staying at home and caring for family members.
Ghadaffi paid all costs for his people to go study around the world a bring back knowledge for Libya.
Ghadaffi was a bit corrupt, (who is not) ((biden/pelosi/bush/obummer)) but he did something for his people.

Last edited:
The Arab spring was created to keep chaos in Libya, stop the developement, stop the progress of Civilizing Libya and getting rid of the largest movement of dropping the Petro-dollar.
Delivered to your favorite nation, led by a demented puppet, with loving kindness from your local alphabet co.

Latest posts

Back