Water Purification

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrrph

Reaction score
due to taste,not sure id want iodine and/or chlorine in my water.but will go with that in a best route to take when needed situation.id rather use a bandana to filter out what i can with it.then boil the water..

call me paranoid :)

but i do know that boiling helps with the iodine and chlorine taste.

having tea bags at home helps too

Here are some links to articles on Water Purification.

Personally, I'm a little paranoid. So I would go with a 3 step Purification. You don't need to. I am just so.

My preferred method is, Sand/Charcoal Filter + Chlorine/Iodine + Boiling.

This article says, there is no need.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

Another article I found is for Iodine purification.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Purify-Water-Using-Iodine-Tincture/

enjoy
yea bandana filtering for large debris then a chlor, iodine,or a boiling will be sufficient ! granted it may not taste great depending on were u got it but you will live.

Here are some links to articles on Water Purification.

Personally, I'm a little paranoid. So I would go with a 3 step Purification. You don't need to. I am just so.

My preferred method is, Sand/Charcoal Filter + Chlorine/Iodine + Boiling.

I would go with the same three steps but in a different order.

Chemical
Boiling
Filtration

The charcoal will remove a lot of the chemical taste.

well maybe
filttration
Chemical
Boiling
Filtration

that way the larger stuff (if any) will be filtered out first

somehow, I don't think I want to filter 2x. I know boiling takes away the chlorine taste, plus I intend to grow tea leaves. Anyone got a good seed site which sells tea leaves?

I plan on getting a berkey!

As for tea leaves, I have never liked "tea" too much as far as "tea" leaves go. I like herbal teas best. Peppermint is my favorite, which is just peppermint leaves. Peppermint grows like wild fire! So I would plant that.

I would also plant a lemon tree if you can get it to grow where you live. I find lemon really takes a lot of bad "taste" out of water.

There's tons of "herbal" teas though that have no "tea" leaves in them. Cinnamon in water is pretty good too! You can get it pretty cheap-dollar tree, aldi's etc. Stock up. It can be used for seasoning rice for breakfast, or make "indian" or "african" rice dishes, and even enhance mexican style foods. It doesn't take much room and I think the flavor stays pretty strong. So I would stock up on it. I like just plain hot cinnamon water-no sugar, no nothing but hot water and cinnamon. (called cinnamon tea. lol) It's really good tasting but also very healthy for you-great for diabetes.

Water is very healthy for you and pretty much all we drink. Since it's abundant pretty much right now, I would say now would be a good time to play with it and find what you like in your own garden to make tea with.

I believe violets, and roses make pretty good teas as well-try them...I'm going to make rose jelly this summer!

Has any one looked into SODIS water purification. It is basically using the sun to disinfect water by leaving a clear bottle on a roof or other sunny pl;ace and letting it sit for 7 hours. This will disinfect your water. I personally wouldn't use this as a main water purifier but it is handy knowledge to have in an emergency situation.

Also I made my own berkey system. It will save you hundreds of dollars with the same level of purification. You basically take two stainless steel stockpots and drill 1/2" holes in the bottom to stick your filters through and tighten em down. Then the bottom stock pot you just install a spigot on it and you are good to go. With this system you feasible add ten filters if you wanted to. which would increase the filter speed alot!

As for tea leaves, I have never liked "tea" too much as far as "tea" leaves go. I like herbal teas best. Peppermint is my favorite, which is just peppermint leaves. Peppermint grows like wild fire! So I would plant that.

I would also plant a lemon tree if you can get it to grow where you live. I find lemon really takes a lot of bad "taste" out of water.

There's tons of "herbal" teas though that have no "tea" leaves in them. Cinnamon in water is pretty good too! You can get it pretty cheap-dollar tree, aldi's etc. Stock up. It can be used for seasoning rice for breakfast, or make "indian" or "african" rice dishes, and even enhance mexican style foods. It doesn't take much room and I think the flavor stays pretty strong. So I would stock up on it. I like just plain hot cinnamon water-no sugar, no nothing but hot water and cinnamon. (called cinnamon tea. lol) It's really good tasting but also very healthy for you-great for diabetes.

Water is very healthy for you and pretty much all we drink. Since it's abundant pretty much right now, I would say now would be a good time to play with it and find what you like in your own garden to make tea with.

I believe violets, and roses make pretty good teas as well-try them...I'm going to make rose jelly this summer!

The berkey is great and easy, not real small for a bob though. I've heard roses are edible, if they taste as good as they smell you're going to have awesome jelly! Your right about adding things to bad tasting water, it can at least make it palatable. I would like to make a small portable still to boil water and collect the condensate, will look into it before long. Distillation is the safest way to decontaminate water, but requires fire.

Oh and I made dandelion jelly last year...not too bad! Taste a little like honey. So I'm looking forward to see what my rose jelly will taste like. I would say dandelion tea would be another option, that doesn't taste too bad. For the tea, I would only use the yellow parts though. Although the greens are good for salads, and eating like you would any other greens-saute in a little oil, garlic, onions, etc as well. And depending on where you live, they can be abundant and completely free. In a couple of months it will be ripe time you could play with them and see if there's any parts you like. We personally try to use a lot of dandelion in our diet in spring, since it's free, and again abundant, and actually quite healthy for you as well. Some people even make dandelion wine-again would be cheap and easy to experiment with now... my kids favorite is when I throw the heads (yellow part) into our pancakes...I like the texture of them in our pancakes, kind of a crispy, nice texture.

Latest posts

Back