Water Purification

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
two drops of bleach per one liter of water, will taste / smell like chlorine for the first 24hrs, if left exposed the taste and smell will dissipate considerably while most if not all of the really nasty stuff will be gone. provide you first filter it that is, on that note never filter purified water through a filter which has been used for non purified water, you are just reintroducing contaminants.

Silver great purifier also 16 drop of bleach to one gallon of water. Activated charcoal in filtering plus great for food poisoning.

my plan is to boil the water after using bleach.

Then maybe boil the water with fruits like water apples, mangos etc to work of the mud/bleach taste...

Here are some links to articles on Water Purification.

Personally, I'm a little paranoid. So I would go with a 3 step Purification. You don't need to. I am just so.

My preferred method is, Sand/Charcoal Filter + Chlorine/Iodine + Boiling.

This article says, there is no need.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

Another article I found is for Iodine purification.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Purify-Water-Using-Iodine-Tincture/

enjoy

Definitely a big fan of the 3 step method of water purification, relying on any single method may not necessarily remove all that is harmful in the water (also a little paranoid when it comes to water purification)

Bacteria cannot live in the presence of Silver. Boiling , Active charcoal. The fruit sounds good idea. Silver dollars is great for keeping milk from Spoiling. If the electric out a silver dollar in milk will keep bacteria from forming. A big plus for medical with a colloidal silver generator.

Brent, Thanks - this was new to me and could prove valuable Ina pinch.
Yeah, you're right I dont think youre going to be able to filter lots of water for the whole family to bathe in, but it might get you thru a rough spot.

Dont forget distillation! it purifies and removes all taste. Now would be the time to build a small unit, before you actually need one, so you have the time to work the bugs out of the design/process.

I think well have water for a while. We have a coo-op with deep forest wells they have propane pumps. But for purifier a 5 gallon bucket 12 inch pcv pipe coming out of the bottom. 4 inches of gravel , 4 of sand 4 of A- charcoal. Use fine wire on bottom of pipe cover with cheese cloth. I get the 5 gallon jar to catch in from general store.

I think well have water for a while. We have a coo-op with deep forest wells they have propane pumps. But for purifier a 5 gallon bucket 12 inch pcv pipe coming out of the bottom. 4 inches of gravel , 4 of sand 4 of A- charcoal. Use fine wire on bottom of pipe cover with cheese cloth. I get the 5 gallon jar to catch in from general store.
I like the homemade purifier, what kind of charcoal, and where do you get it? I've seen filters for pools that use sand for particulates, but the charcoal is good for bacteria.

Activated Charcoal At Buy activated charcoal. com nice people tell them what your using it for they'll tell you which mesh is right Also great for food poisoning in medical form. Stay away from store bags. Activated kills the bacteria.

i was watching an episode of DDP season 4 where this guy bought a old TV and got the plastic magnifying plate. He then used it to boil water with the power of the sun.

I thought this is fantastic and best thing is, it'll work for people in the coastal areas. And I would drink that directly after distillation.

They do make one that works like a moonshine still. It can do 26 gallon in a 24 hour time period. This one change water to steam back to fresh water.

If we want to store water in those 4-6 gallon containers, they sell at Walmart, academy, or any camping location, can we add a silver coin in them to help preserve the water?

http://www.whentechfails.com/node/27

If so, how much per gallon? How long can silver help preserve water?

Bacteria will not grow it will kill any in the water silver dollar to a gallon in one hour. Heavy metals would not be removed you need activated charcoal filtering. The one gallon is to remove any bacteria but you will be safe with a silver dollar in larger containers.

i was watching an episode of DDP season 4 where this guy bought a old TV and got the plastic magnifying plate. He then used it to boil water with the power of the sun.

I thought this is fantastic and best thing is, it'll work for people in the coastal areas. And I would drink that directly after distillation.
Yeah I saw that too! See, that show does have some good info occasionally! Honestly I like the show for entertainment. It was a really simple setup, and wouldn't cost too much. Did you see how quickly it toasted the piece of wood? I added two magnifying glasses from Walmart to my bob right after watching that. Mostly for fire starter backup, but who knows what kind of creative/macgyver like uses you could use them for in a pinch, like soldering, cooking, cauterizing, etc.

Latest posts

Back