Water preservation

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armedbear2006

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to preserve water for long term storage.

What do should and shouldn't be used?
What kind of container?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Hello there,

It's not very hard to store water, at my BOL we have multiple 55 gal plastic drums that are placed 1 foot below ground in various locations. Along with a running creek, and working well. Water has no expectation date, but I would recommend purchasing some type of filtration device/ system to use before consumption.

But remember water runs out, always have back up plans. we have removable attachment (homemade), that connect to all of the drums so when it rains it can help keep fresh water.

Two liter pop bottles work good, but they are plastic and whatever was in them before may leech into your water, so be happy with that flavor of drink and you won't mind revisiting after awhile. I would not use milk containers for long periods (longer than 6 months) of time as they are flimsy, break down over time and may beak . If you do, wash out thoroughly with soap and water, rinse well and then rinse out with a solution of bleach and water to kill any bacteria. I normally just fill it up with the bleach and water solution and let it sit for about a week before I pour it out. But as Unknown has pointed out, water runs out so have a back up plan. You can use 12 drops of iodine per gallon or regular household bleach (no scents) 1/8 teaspoon per gallon to purify. Remember about the water you have in your home too, hot water heater, toilet tanks, etc. If you buy bottled water from the stores, try to get them still in the box. That way the plastic doesn't break down as fast or you can store them in a box. Change out your water every 6 months.

If the water and container are sterile then water keeps indefinitely. Back before the days of chlorinated water, some people would put a silver coin in the water cistern to keep the water from going bad. Silver has anti-microbial properties.

In Greenland they just discovered a fresh water reservoir that's been hidden under the snow pack that's been there since the dinosaurs. They say it's the largest fresh water reserve in the world. It is completely pure and safe to drink as is, so without a doubt, water does not go bad with time. If the container doesn't leach chemicals into it and is clean, you're good to go, indefinitely. I like the re supply idea though. I have a 1050 gallon tank to store water in from the gutters, but it won't last forever. Always have a backup, and maybey even a backup for the backup when it comes to something as important as water.

Personally, every 4 months, I empty out and refill stored water. Just in case. Same with water in my GHB/BOB.

Latest posts

Back