water Filtration

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepgirl

My Seed Cellar
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not but I was looking at the Lifestraw but I stumbled on this..Does anyone have one and what do you think of the capability?

Sawyer Complete Water Filter System - 2 Liter

water.jpg

Hello all, I just got this survival filtration bottle as a bday gift from an awesome boss:
http://www.clearbrook.net/Clearbrook-Survival-Survival-Bottle-32oz-p/clr-n32-sur.htm

It does everything except viruses, so you'll have to use it in conjunction with iodine tabs.

This looks pretty good, what gets me though is that it doesn't say the micron size of the filter anywhere which is unfortunate. If I were going to buy this I would contact the company and ask for what size micron it filters too, I am guessing it is in the 2 micron to 0.2 micron size.

This is ok as an emergency filter but it doesn't do it for a long term filter which can last a million gallons

This does only 160 gallons

it is better than drinking out of a puddle, but it still isn't what you can get from a ceramic water filter.

I'd go with the other listing of 30 gallons just to account for worst case scenario. That's pretty good though. Keep you hydrated a month or so. The link for the replacement filters wasn't working but every filter adds at least another month. Pretty good survival bottle. Just because its just how I am and you still have the resources, test it out. Put pond water and dump out cycling 30, 50, 70 gallons through it. Take a sample to the water department and have them test it. It'll only cost you a few bucks and a filter but the confirmation of knowing it does do what you want it to do is priceless. Just for the peace of mind factor.

About water.
Possible situation for us if crisis: Staying home and the possibility to get water through normal water tap is gone.

Where I live I have no option to build a well.
Living close to water so should be possible to find some wat to filter / clean water.
But, what we are planning for a short period of time is to have a certain amout of water on bottles. Bought from stores. It is expensive. But if we have enough water on bottles which have a due date 1 year from now, we can buy one before we use one. That would mean we would always have some water for a short period of time.
Struggling to find another solution. We have saved up some money to start a test period to see how much it will cost us, but it would be nice to have a cheaper alternative.

About water.
Possible situation for us if crisis: Staying home and the possibility to get water through normal water tap is gone.

Living close to water so should be possible to find some wat to filter / clean water.
But, what we are planning for a short period of time is to have a certain amout of water on bottles. Bought from stores. It is expensive. But if we have enough water on bottles which have a due date 1 year from now, we can buy one before we use one. That would mean we would always have some water for a short period of time.
Struggling to find another solution. We have saved up some money to start a test period to see how much it will cost us, but it would be nice to have a cheaper alternative.

Get a few water filters.

About water.

If you have the space around your property ,In South Africa there are many water supply problems ,we can buy 5000 lt tanks , we connect them to the main water supply with a pressure pump , where the supply enters the property a non return valve is fitted , to stop the water flowing back , this way your whole house still gets water , Also we put tanks on the gutter down pipes this gives another source of supply , not knowing the set up there this might not be practable for you ,

I use a 3-filter filtration unit followed by UV in an enclosed container which generates both regular UV (240nm I think) and 180nm UV which produces ozone.

Since the ozone isn't injected it is only about 15% as effective as injected. UV will kill all viruses and bacteria in the water by damaging their DNA.

I pass the water over a flat surface at about 1/10" in depth over which are two 15 watt UV bulbs. It's strictly for drinking water and takes about an hour to make 3 gallons.

The UV section is entirely enclosed -- you don't want to get hit by UV-C.

I use a 3-filter filtration unit followed by UV in an enclosed container which generates both regular UV (240nm I think) and 180nm UV which produces ozone.

Since the ozone isn't injected it is only about 15% as effective as injected. UV will kill all viruses and bacteria in the water by damaging their DNA.

I pass the water over a flat surface at about 1/10" in depth over which are two 15 watt UV bulbs. It's strictly for drinking water and takes about an hour to make 3 gallons.

The UV section is entirely enclosed -- you don't want to get hit by UV-C.
Years ago I had a UV filtration system for my fish pond. Would that be the same type of system that could be used for drinking water?

In my case, I wanted to be sure all the water passed under the lamps in each pass. Meaning, only one pass would be necessary.

I would think in a pond setup there is less concern for every drop to be hit by the UV each pass through the system. With constant circulation, it all gets hit eventually.

But yes, it's the same idea. I added the ozone component simply because I had an ozone/UV/filtration system on my pump in CA years ago and it was the best water I've ever tasted.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.
Since we do not have the possibility to set up (or dig down) water tanks or ponds I hope there is possible to use some kind of water filter for indoor water containers?
Like gather water from the lake and clean it using filters?
Is that possible?
The lake I'm talking about is the same lake that gives us wather though normal tap.

Since we do not have the possibility to set up (or dig down) water tanks or ponds I hope there is possible to use some kind of water filter for indoor water containers?
Like gather water from the lake and clean it using filters?
Is that possible?

The setup I constructed is precisely for water from lakes, ponds, rain, etc. The setup is:

Source 5 gallon bucket
Membrane-type filter(s)
UV/Ozone tray (enclosed)
Destination 5 gallon bucket

Gravity-fed from the Source bucket by simply having it highest, the filters next, followed by UV lamps, and terminating in the Destination bucket.

The setup I constructed is precisely for water from lakes, ponds, rain, etc. The setup is:

Source 5 gallon bucket
Membrane-type filter(s)
UV/Ozone tray (enclosed)
Destination 5 gallon bucket

Gravity-fed from the Source bucket by simply having it highest, the filters next, followed by UV lamps, and terminating in the Destination bucket.

Aha, that I did not understand.
Sitting and reading about the different types of filters.
Aargh, really feeling like a newbie.....Wait , that is exactly what I am :)

A couple of noteworthy items:

1. Get filters that require no or little pressure. Or you can get ones that require pressure, but you'll need to either pump the water out of the source manually or rig up an electric pump. The larger the surface area of the filter, the lower the pressure to get water through it (generally).

2. Do not ever look at the UV light, or let it hit your skin.

Latest posts

Back