water distiller...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenLittle

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building one out of a pressure cooker. Does anyone have experience with these?

Do you have to use metal tubing or would rubber tubbing work?

Do these take EVERYTHING out? For instance if you distilled water from a lake or pond with a dead animal in it would it be safe?

Distilling water takes everything out including biological pathogens and even if somehow they could manage to carryover most bio pathogens are killed around 140 degrees F and water boils at 212 degrees F at sea level. Distilling is probably the most secure way of purifying water it will even remove most chemicals, the exceptions being anything that has the same boiling and condensing points as water. Thats why you see a residue left behind on pots that you boil out, its the minerals that get left behind.

Tried it with the rubber tubing, tasted like rubber. I figured as much but worth a try. I will pick up some copper tubing and just use a small peice of rubber to hold it together. also had a lot of steam loss as it did not cool quickly enough. I plan to set the copper tubing in a bucket of cold water to help with that. I suppose I will have to drill a hole in the bucket then seal the hole around the tubing.

Turning into a bit of a contraption with pressure cooker highest, water bucket mid hight and water gathering vessel at the bottom unless someone can improve my design?

here's a lil something i came up with..

as we all know..there's been times where we had to boil water due to a water main break.and/or for some other reason(s) at one time or another..but yet In a survival situation, clean drinking water will often be your most important resource and difficult to come across at times.so if your bugging in or bugging out,hiking or camping out.if not in some other situation where your in serious need of water.you'll need a way of purifying water..here you'll find different ways of purifying your water for drinking to cooking to personal hygiene..so having a still on hand is a added plus in any situation..so here we'll learn what we need to learn..and hopefully teach others a trick or 2 about purifying water..and i hope that the different links helps out..

www.whiskeystill.net/pages/how-to-make-a-moonshine-still

and here's some on ebay..in which you can use the pictures to design your own still.or buy from one of them

www.ebay.com/bhp/copper-still

Three Ways to Purify Water in the Backcountry

survival.about.com/od/1/a/Three-Ways-To-Purify-Water-In-The-Backcountry.htm?utm_term=water%20purification%20still&utm_content=p1-main-1-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=adid-dde9081c-95f6-4c7b-b8a7-fdc555674026-0-ab_gsb_ocode-12553&ad=semD&an=google_s&am=broad&q=water%20purification%20still&dqi=&o=12553&l=sem&qsrc=999&askid=dde9081c-95f6-4c7b-b8a7-fdc555674026-0-ab_gsb

I'm thinking about building one out of a pressure cooker. Does anyone have experience with these?

Do you have to use metal tubing or would rubber tubbing work?

Do these take EVERYTHING out? For instance if you distilled water from a lake or pond with a dead animal in it would it be safe?
Jim posted some good links. I was going to say look up how they make moonshine, it's the exact same principal. I saw a modernized design that used fittings you can get at any hardware store, and it was supposedly 10 times more efficent than the old coiled copper tubing. I tried it once with an improvised rig, and got clean pure water out of it easily. I used some cruddy looking pond water to start with. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the cooling water gets hot really quickly. You need a way to keep it cool, like running cool water into it slowly while draining off the hot. I just played with the design with a pressure cooker and an old cooler, but it worked beautifully. I thing I'll address this again before long and make a small unit that's more durable and portable.

would my customs believe me if I placed an order for a whiskey still and told them;it's to purify water...nope,not a chance, would have to build it myself.

Latest posts

Back