Waste

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzpatrick Clan

Reaction score
How does one go about getting rid of waste or what is the best recommended way in a bunker. We have discussed having a "vault" added to store garbage or having an incinerator if possible. Just curious what you all recommend.

I am not sure about a bunker but I am putting in a series of compost bins and building a couple of compost toilets. Here is the link.

BTW, I am also part of the Fitzpatrick clan. We are from North Texas.

those look like a good idea for a toilet. But we will have water access for our toilets. We had thought about something like that. But what about like the mylar wrap that the food is wrapped in. What would be the best recommendation for getting rid of those kinds of things.

those look like a good idea for a toilet. But we will have water access for our toilets. We had thought about something like that. But what about like the mylar wrap that the food is wrapped in. What would be the best recommendation for getting rid of those kinds of things.

Can you put in a septic system?

I also saw a farm where they pumped the waste into some kind of a tank and then used the methane gas from it as a clean, odorless cooking and heating fuel. I'll have to look for the link.

We have a septic tank already installed on the property not far from where the bunker will be placed along with a well on the opposite side and will be adding another well to the property and a smaller pond for water access. We have already started on the pond.

Can you just put a toilet in the bunker that can go straight into the septic? Or perhaps you can have another septic tank installed.

we can hook straight up to our septic tank that is already there.
We are just mainly worried about trash type of garbage really we don't want to have a bunch of stuff outside because that would draw peoples attention considering there is nothing around our property but cornfields for miles so it would be easily noticeable if there is trash everywhere.

We burn what we can and then take the rest to the dump, but that may not be able to do during a situation time. The only real trash we have right now that can not be tossed on a fire would be aluminum cans from feed the dogs. Maybe there is a use of them that I do not know of.

When I do my grocery shopping, all dry foods go into mason jars and cardboard gets burned immediately. This goes for every shopping trip whether its a standard tip or a prepping trip. I put 80 boxes of cereal in half gallon mason jars with desicants and used the food saver jar attachment to seal them. All pastas are in buckets. Rice is first frozen, then stored in empty clean Pepsi bottles. Meats are pressure canned.

We are septic here with a pond in walking distance. No bunker cause we're coastal.

We are just mainly worried about trash type of garbage really we don't want to have a bunch of stuff outside

All depends on how long you anticipate having to use the bunker portion for. Having a toilet hooked into the septic is cool, but will the well pump require power?
As for the trash, building in a receptacle for the anticipated duration is probably a good idea (especially if you can guard against odor with some exhaust fans and an airtight chute, even if fans are just hand-cranked). Just make sure you can then get the trash out after no longer needing the shelter.

Latest posts

Back