washing clothes without electricity.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
living without electricity would be the least of my problems, I have lived like this before and am happy to do so again, my plans are built with this very thing to happen, but I imagine for most of the population in my country this would be the end of everything.
I've been working to make my modern home more livable without electricity. It's really not too difficult, but is surprising how few are built with any thought of it at all. Some do have fireplaces, but not only are they not efficient at heating, but try cooking in one, espechially in the summer time. My next thing to add will be enough solar and battery to run lights. Since lighting dosent use much energy this won't be too bad of a hit financially. I figure lighting is a comfort that would ease the transition to a no grid situation.
Through all the things I've learned and worked to prepare for (a lot that I learned from fellow preppers here) I have been fortunate enough to have a good standing with water, food and security. Now I'm starting to work on a few luxury preps.

that day,if I ever get my sorry ### out this place and find my dream place,a nice rural spot by the way,that house will have means to cook and bake without electricity, it will have a sauna..naturally,it will have a root cellar,if I have to use a spade to dig it from the scratch..

that day,if I ever get my sorry ### out this place and find my dream place,a nice rural spot by the way,that house will have means to cook and bake without electricity, it will have a sauna..naturally,it will have a root cellar,if I have to use a spade to dig it from the scratch..
I dug my own, but did use a bobcat to help out. I still had a lot of hand digging and manual labor though. With a little well thought out effort and sweat equity you can make the things you want. It's surprising how few are willing to work hard now days. I wish you all the success in the world to make what you want happen!

I would keep it simple, no solar....that's how someone got caught back along, someone saw the sun shining off a solar panel where no one was supposed to be, just get up when it gets light, probably pre dawn-we are early risers now, well earlier than most, and go to bed when its to dark to do anything.

there are but in the wrong direction for now :(
but I'll keep searching all the time 'cause I don't wanna change this city to the other ;)
right now they are in a process of re-structuring our health care sysytem and nobody seems to know what the outcome will be..

I would keep it simple, no solar....that's how someone got caught back along, someone saw the sun shining off a solar panel where no one was supposed to be, just get up when it gets light, probably pre dawn-we are early risers now, well earlier than most, and go to bed when its to dark to do anything.
When camping I always adjusted quickly to a sleep cycle that matched the day/night cycle. I still think a solar system is smart though. The generator will last a long time with careful cycling on only when needed, but will run out eventually. A solar setup will last three to five years with the batteries and much longer after they die. My goal is to get a solar system large enough to run the fridge, but I'll start with just lighting and expand as I can. Yes, I can survive without electricity, but life is a whole lot more comfortable with it.

too much hassle-for me, and generators can be heard a long way off, then there is the problem of lights being seen where there aren't any others.
Yeah, from a security standpoint, any luxury makes you a target. Using either would require some common sense and window shades. I also think burning a fire in the daytime could be risky. People will follow smoke trails too.

Yeah, from a security standpoint, any luxury makes you a target. Using either would require some common sense and window shades. I also think burning a fire in the daytime could be risky. People will follow smoke trails too.
yes, that's the third thing that should be considered from a security angle.
I have lived without electricity for long periods, so has my wife-she was brought up in an off grid cottage.

yes, that's the third thing that should be considered from a security angle.
I have lived without electricity for long periods, so has my wife-she was brought up in an off grid cottage.
It is doable, just not as easy as flipping a switch to heat that pot of water or food. Reminds me, I need a good crosscut saw.

ah yes, you take me back to my bedsit(rented room in a shared house) days, when we didn't have much money, we put a blanket or a quilt over the windows instead of curtains/drapes.
It's sad to think of how pretentious people can get. Nothing but the best furnishings, etc. there's going to be a lot of changes in people's lives one day. You can get by with very little in the world and still be content.

you don't always need the new designer stuff,had a friend once,decades ago,who mowed to their first place with his girl,could they buy second hand ?? nope,all had to be brand new,expencive and what they got from it all;debts,but everyone does it their way and not many 20+ is sensible enough to listen to advice.
I sure wasn't when it came to work and future retirement age,in that aspect I was "thick as a brick".

you don't always need the new designer stuff,had a friend once,decades ago,who mowed to their first place with his girl,could they buy second hand ?? nope,all had to be brand new,expencive and what they got from it all;debts,but everyone does it their way and not many 20+ is sensible enough to listen to advice.
I sure wasn't when it came to work and future retirement age,in that aspect I was "thick as a brick".
Not too long ago a couple acquaintances of mine built their first house. It was about three thousand square feet and everything in it was upgraded. I don't think they were in it for a full year before they ended up loosing it. Really sad. I had tried to talk with them some about starting smaller and simpler, but they would hear a word of it. "This was their home and it had to be perfect". Another guy I worked with got a 13000. tax return. He was a young father of three, earning about 11 dollars an hour and his wife was a stay at home mom. I showed him an ad in a real estate magazine that had a manufactured home on an acre of land with a fence, well and septic system. I told him he could be living rent free and fix up the place as he goes. His words were, "I wouldn't live in a piece of crap like that". Long story short, he bought a four wheeler, went on a vacation, and was broke in three months. Last I knew he was renting an old ratty trailer. It's sad that young people don't listen to the wisdom of older people. Most have to learn the hard way in life. I recently told my son my take on life and finances. I think having a place to lay your head at night is number one. I'm not talking the tajh Mahail here, start small, you can always upgrade later. Second is transportation. You need a reliable way to get around. Again, start small, you don't need a flashy new set of wheels. Just something that dosent break down daily. Lastly you need an emergency fund. Life will always throw unexpected things at you, have some reserves to help with them. The order isn't important on these, and for most people should be reversed. The point though, if you focus on these first, not the 4 wheeler or other toys, then your life is so much less stressful and you will have years of being able to accumulate the toys you want.

it seems that most people these days live on and in debt, they want everything new and they want it NOW, so what happens, it goes on the plastic.
my old dad told me when I got married(the first time!!) " if you want something, save up for it, don't get into debt", wise words which no one heeds any more.

it seems that most people these days live on and in debt, they want everything new and they want it NOW, so what happens, it goes on the plastic.
my old dad told me when I got married(the first time!!) " if you want something, save up for it, don't get into debt", wise words which no one heeds any more.
Debt is slavery to me. I don't like the stress of knowing I owe someone. We are doing amazingly well with our new business as far as staying out of debt. We had three pieces of equipment with debt on them, a bucket lift, a scissor lift and a new dodge truck. In less than a year we managed to pay off the bucket and scissor lift. We will start throwing all we can at the truck next. I have two exceptions on debt. First, very few people can buy a house without it, so your kind of stuck there. I still say only do a 15yr note though. (I'm a Dave Ramsey fan). Second is if you borrow to make money, like a business. I don't think it would be wise to borrow to invest in the stock market, but tangible items like equipment. At least if you need to you can always sell the item and pay back most of the money if pressed. As Mr. Ramsey says, if you can't pay cash for something, you can't afford it, period.

Latest posts

Back