Warm weather food storage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absurd question, but a real question...Each human has its limits as to what it will eat.
Some humans would rather starve to death than to (sorry) eat a pet.
Some humans have absolutely no borders and are already cannibals...
Each human reacts to each catastrophe differently. Your question cannot be answered in a "normal" fashion since the parameters of the answer is too broad. TIME WILL TELL....

I would say that most well fed people have limits. A starving person has a way of changing those limits. Watching your children starve, also changes those parameters.

Psychological changes also take place in true starvation.

Because the brain is so rich in nerve cells, or neurons, it is the most energy-demanding organ, using one-half of all the sugar energy in the body! So what happens to the brain when there is no more sugar in the blood to consume?

People tend to think of the end point of starvation being the edema and bloated bellies we in the west have been shown but, that is relatively still early in the process. Psychosis is next.

Survivors have literally reported seeing and believing another person was a gigantic walking chicken leg, it isn't just the stuff of old cartoons.

Last edited:
Two words to solve this problem: "hot sauce".

For centuries, spices have been used to mask the awful taste of less-than-fresh food.

While I can understand the idea of cannibalism, the actual practice is a lot more gruesome and difficult. Not to mention the diseases associated with the practice. If you suspect your neighbors of such, you should probably put them at the top of your kill list. After all, cannibalism is not very neighborly -- I'm sure they'd be violating some terms of the HOA.

I think canned goods with a decent shelf life is a better alternative to storage issues. I have opted to do without things which will rot or spoil without refrigeration.

For centuries, spices have been used to mask the awful taste of less-than-fresh food.

While I can understand the idea of cannibalism, the actual practice is a lot more gruesome and difficult. Not to mention the diseases associated with the practice. If you suspect your neighbors of such, you should probably put them at the top of your kill list. After all, cannibalism is not very neighborly -- I'm sure they'd be violating some terms of the HOA.

I think canned goods with a decent shelf life is a better alternative to storage issues. I have opted to do without things which will rot or spoil without refrigeration.

I have a sneaking suspicion the first thing you would raid at my place, if you were so inclined, would be my pepper patch. I have every exotic hot pepper known to man. Ironically, I can't eat them but, I make a mean, flavorful hot sauce and fresh salsa for everyone else.

I bought many different spices in restaurant-sized containers. I'm not much of a farmer. I wish I was, but I have no experience with it.

I can make electricity and fuel from wood and steam, though. I'm hoping I can trade this ability with the non-cannibals in my area.

I bought many different spices in restaurant-sized containers. I'm not much of a farmer. I wish I was, but I have no experience with it.

I can make electricity and fuel from wood and steam, though. I'm hoping I can trade this ability with the non-cannibals in my area.

Wood gasifiers...I have tinkered with those because wood will be one resource I will have an unlimited supply of!

Barring someone starting a forest fire that is...

I have found that vegetable oil is the most effective filter for wood gas. Too bad it doesn't keep well.

Cooling the gas is extremely important, too. It makes it denser.

A significant radiator is important. When I test, I submerge it in my pond.

I am growing some olive trees whose fruits are known for being good oil producers.

You should start a how to thread on it if you haven't already! But, dumb it down for the rest of us. I am not mechanically inclined and have to muddle my way through. Geometry, structural engineering, I can do...putting together a cement mixer from harbor freight with instructions from China, not so much.

You gave me an idea for a new thread with your earlier comment. Hopefully people will engage. The more input, the more ideas we all get!

Haha! I'll have to check my HOA for a "don't eat me" clause.

I know cannibalism may seem to be an exaggeration and would only be caused by the utmost extreme, but aren't the extremes what we are preparing for?

If it doesn't reach those extremes then that means supplies are still coming in and people can still eat, so why worry about food?

I also seem to remember not too long ago, besides the infamous wagon train and plane crash cannibals, that starving Catholics in Lebanon during the 1980s were at the point where they asked the pope if they could eat the dead and dying. It's not that much of a stretch.

Remember, 90 percent of the population recently decided it was rational to place a piece of ill-fitting paper over their face to keep them from inhaling microscopic particles, and over half of them also decided to inject an experimental concoction into their bodies without knowing the first thing about what it is or what it does, and many of them made their children take it too. Now imagine them starving.

Remember, 90 percent of the population recently decided it was rational to place a piece of ill-fitting paper over their face to keep them from inhaling microscopic particles, and over half of them also decided to inject an experimental concoction into their bodies without knowing the first thing about what it is or what it does, and many of them made their children take it too. Now imagine them starving.

Oh my! Can’t argue with those facts! Maybe I will lose some weight…makes other people look more “worth it”.

Last edited:
Haha! I'll have to check my HOA for a "don't eat me" clause.

I know cannibalism may seem to be an exaggeration and would only be caused by the utmost extreme, but aren't the extremes what we are preparing for?

If it doesn't reach those extremes then that means supplies are still coming in and people can still eat, so why worry about food?

I also seem to remember not too long ago, besides the infamous wagon train and plane crash cannibals, that starving Catholics in Lebanon during the 1980s were at the point where they asked the pope if they could eat the dead and dying. It's not that much of a stretch.

My professional training is in thought processes; particularly brain functions and behavioral effects before, during and after a life altering personal or collective event.

Apologies in advance for the long winded response but, I think you may find it helpful.

Cannibalism though is an issue though not an initial focus. Here is why.

FIRST you will have to survive "the takers" especially in a city setting, you will have a more significant portion of the population who are of the mindset of being provided for.

The washing machine breaks, call a repair service. The lawn needs mowing, hire a service. Don't have time to cook, eat out. Ran out of milk, oops! No big deal, a supply is just up the block.

Planning ahead, learning to do for yourself is much less of a necessity than it is an inconvenience.

Fast forward to TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it).

At first. most people will be confused and desperate for information as to what is happening. If that is not available, rumors will rule the day. And, like a child's game of telephone, morph into nonsensical chaos. This will unnerve people who will then begin to panic.

Groups tend to feed off of each other and mimic observed behaviors. Three people appear to be running away from something, others join one by one until you have a huge group running for their lives, most of whom, have no idea what they are running from. They just assumed the others did.

They will start to empty shelves spending what ever cash they have. Then, as they realize that the issue is not quickly resolving and the supplies are going to be insufficient, turn next to the government, looking for salvation. When that is not forthcoming, they will begin to loot stores and warehouses taking their "fair share" while they can.

The time frame for this to happen is estimated to be about 72 hours. There will be sporadic violence prior to this but, as long as law enforcement is functioning, the sewage is not backing up and there is water in the taps, it will not be en-masse for a short time.

Once the looted resources have dwindled down again (an additional 24-48 hours) and no remedy or explanation is forthcoming, you will start to see individuals start taking from other individuals. Break ins, muggings etc.

After this point, you will start to see more organized raids taking place. The gang elements found throughout this nation, even in the rural areas but far more populous in cities, will coalesce and organize. They will realize quickly that the ones who hold the resources (food), hold the power. This will fester and grow and when the local government collapses because the police and politicians have decided they must care for their own families, these gangs will be the new government, which people desperate to feed their families will gladly pledge their allegiance. to.

This stage will continue for weeks and months as pets and livestock are taken and slaughtered for consumption. There may be some small groups of individuals that turn to eating human flesh early on, but they will not be organized for some time because of the social stigma attached to it.

Your main concern will be surviving the organized gang elements which will be heavily armed and ruthless, just as they are now. If you survive that long, you will be a hardened warrior and a group of cannibals will be little more than a nuisance.

Last edited:
Probably will be able to find some great deals on real trucks as well once the "vanity" owners have reached the breaking point.
Chip shortages and production cut backs on new vehicles have skyrocketed used prices. My yr old 2500 is worth more than I paid for it on the used market.

My professional training is in thought processes; particularly brain functions and behavioral effects before, during and after a life altering personal or collective event.

Apologies in advance for the long winded response but, I think you may find it helpful.

Cannibalism though is an issue though not an initial focus. Here is why.

FIRST you will have to survive "the takers" especially in a city setting, you will have a more significant portion of the population who are of the mindset of being provided for.

The washing machine breaks, call a repair service. The lawn needs mowing, hire a service. Don't have time to cook, eat out. Ran out of milk, oops! No big deal, a supply is just up the block.

Planning ahead, learning to do for yourself is much less of a necessity than it is an inconvenience.

Fast forward to TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it).

At first. most people will be confused and desperate for information as to what is happening. If that is not available, rumors will rule the day. And, like a child's game of telephone, morph into nonsensical chaos. This will unnerve people who will then begin to panic.

Groups tend to feed off of each other and mimic observed behaviors. Three people appear to be running away from something, others join one by one until you have a huge group running for their lives, most of whom, have no idea what they are running from. They just assumed the others did.

They will start to empty shelves spending what ever cash they have. Then, as they realize that the issue is not quickly resolving and the supplies are going to be insufficient, turn next to the government, looking for salvation. When that is not forthcoming, they will begin to loot stores and warehouses taking their "fair share" while they can.

The time frame for this to happen is estimated to be about 72 hours. There will be sporadic violence prior to this but, as long as law enforcement is functioning, the sewage is not backing up and there is water in the taps, it will not be en-masse for a short time.

Once the looted resources have dwindled down again (an additional 24-48 hours) and no remedy or explanation is forthcoming, you will start to see individuals start taking from other individuals. Break ins, muggings etc.

After this point, you will start to see more organized raids taking place. The gang elements found throughout this nation, even in the rural areas but far more populous in cities, will coalesce and organize. They will realize quickly that the ones who hold the resources (food), hold the power. This will fester and grow and when the local government collapses because the police and politicians have decided they must care for their own families, these gangs will be the new government, which people desperate to feed their families will gladly pledge their allegiance. to.

This stage will continue for weeks and months as pets and livestock are taken and slaughtered for consumption. There may be some small groups of individuals that turn to eating human flesh early on, but they will not be organized for some time because of the social stigma attached to it.

Your main concern will be surviving the organized gang elements which will be heavily armed and ruthless, just as they are now. If you survive that long, you will be a hardened warrior and a group of cannibals will be little more than a nuisance.
Though it was only part of my initial question, cannibalism seems to be a hot topic.

My question was "In a grid-down, major disaster/war scenario where supplies are not coming in, how long before people become cannibals?"

In that particular specific scenario, where communications are down and no one has any idea when or if any help will arrive, I give it 2 weeks before the masses will see all of the local food, supplies, pets, rodents, livestock and game gone. I give it an additional 2 weeks before they start looking at each other as game.

This may sound extreme, but history and personal experience back it up.

I am a professional contractor, originally from the northeast. In 2011 we had a few weather disasters, as did a large portion of the country. By the time the last one hit in October, emergency supplies were hard to come by. Power was out throughout my region and within a week, fuel and even some foods and basic supplies were hard to come by.

By the end of this first week, even though people still had enough food and what they needed to get by, this is what I witnessed:

Police theft of emergency supplies.
White collar worker theft of emergency supplies.
A general lack of compassion.
A sense of unease at the growing lines at the few gas stations that had gas and generators.
Heated arguments between "pillar of the community" types over supplies.
Distrust and disdain in the eyes and demeanor of the general public.

This was after just a week of power outages in mild temperatures where everyone had food.

This certainly was a product of my location and the type of people that live there, but these types exist most everywhere. Are we to believe they will sit and watch their kids starve while others have something they can take?

Fortunately, most of the power began to be restored after 8 days, but on the 6th through 8th day I watched these people slowly descend into what certainly would have become a horrible situation, after very little hardship.

Latest posts

Back