Warm weather food storage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonC12

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about food storage and suggestions, but have seen little to no opinion on warm weather (Florida, southern US) food storage.

There are millions of Americans within this area, where summer temps will reach upwards of 100 degrees during the day and only lower to around 80 at night and very few have basements or sub-terrain storage.

In a grid-down scenario, how long would a cache of stored food last?

In a grid-down, major disaster/war scenario where supplies are not coming in, how long before people become cannibals?

Are there any solutions to survivability in these areas?

Texas here...what my experience has been, once the temp reaches about 90 degrees AND humidity levels above 70% in your storage area, daily, it tastes nasty in less than 4 weeks. It is still edible, as in not toxic, but makes you want to spit it out. In a pinch it might fill the hole in your stomach but, the nutritional value is significantly decreased.

As for suggestions.... good news bad news.
You have the ability to grow three to four crops a year and have easy access to edible natural vegetation year round. Bad news is without digging down fairly deep to construct a root cellar (limited by the high water table) or having access to an ice coolerand fan..you are going to have a difficult time. with stored foods.

For me, buying land where I could grow, raise and forage made for a better investment of funds than buying a year's supply of food for a group of thirty!

As for your cannibal question...I suspect, the population density of a region is more of a predictor than anything. As swarms of people leave cities, they will be almost like locusts and consume everything recognizable as edible, in their path. Leaving little in their wake for anyone living in that area.

Last edited:

Texas here...what my experience has been, once the temp reaches about 90 degrees AND humidity levels above 70% in your storage area, daily, it tastes nasty in less than 4 weeks. It is still edible, as in not toxic, but makes you want to spit it out. In a pinch it might fill the hole in your stomach but, the nutritional value is significantly decreased.

As for suggestions.... good news bad news.
You have the ability to grow three to four crops a year and have easy access to edible natural vegetation year round. Bad news is without digging down fairly deep to construct a root cellar (limited by the high water table) or having access to an ice coolerand fan..you are going to have a difficult time. with stored foods.

For me, buying land where I could grow, raise and forage made for a better investment of funds than buying a year's supply of food for a group of thirty!

Thanks for the info. That's what I had thought the answer would be, but was holding out hope that someone may have found a solution. Guess I better start diggin.

Thanks for the info. That's what I had thought the answer would be, but was holding out hope that someone may have found a solution. Guess I better start diggin.
Can I ask what your general situation is? Apartment, Condo, Inland, coastal, north, south etc? I used to live in Florida. I may have some additional suggestions with more parameters.

Okay, so water table is at about 10' I am guessing and in a storm, much higher with flooding. That is going to be a problem with a root cellar. If your goal is for EMERGENCY only storage, I might suggest instead, digging deep vertical holes (using a post hole digger) and buying large diameter PVC pipe and end caps. Place the food in, seal them shut, drop them into the hole and bury them. Dig them up at the end of a month and give it a taste. Just dont forget where you put them!
Don't rule out production. Even on a zero lot line build you can do more than you might suppose. Think vertical growing and not just horizontal. If you have a lanai, pots and again trellises on the walls, could provide many square feet of growing space for things like cucumbers, Kiwis and even berries.
Your home might be cooled with a heat pump system so be very careful digging!

You could also create a earthen mound and dig into that.

Grow things not easily recognized as edible....or better yet, that looks poisonous but isn't.
Edible landscaping...IDK how particular your HOA is but there are many things that can be done.

1646948523593.png

For instance, what is this? Hint, it is not holly and produces wonderfully tasting red berries; good for jams, wine and preserves.

Take a wander through this link from University of Florida for some Ideas that might work for you.
Florida-Friendly Edible Landscaping - UF/IFAS Extension Orange County (ufl.edu)

Hibiscus, almost everyone has them there...the dried flowers make a wonderfully fruity sweet tea, full of vitamin C!

Another one, Date Palms come in varieties with edible fruits...there are many options.
Sugar cane. A guy up the street from us had it growing around his pool. For quite some time, I thought it was bamboo....which when young is also edible.

Go WILD! Eating native plants in SWFL (news-press.com)

The options you have are not an either -or black and white choice. Combine things and make it work for you. The goal is to survive and even scorpions and grasshoppers, have a place on my menu. I love being an omnivore! LOL

Last edited:
Welcome to the board!

If you truly want your family and self to be safe, you will find a cheap few acres of land in a cooler area that is not highly occupied. People in high density areas will never be able to defend themselves from the horde. The smell of food carries. Gangs will rule the cities. Cannibalism is certain. You don’t necessarily even need a house on the land…in a cooler, but not cold area you could live in tents or RVs or Trailer, or even a barn. Then when Russia or our CIA shut down our grid…which is absolutely happening according to military folks in the know…you can bug out to your BOL and be much safer.

Jon, I'm a southern Texan gal here and will say that I can grow something year round. You may actually be more southern than I am, depending on your location in FL. We rarely have freezing temps, and if you plant fall type crops during the winter, they will survive. You can just cover them during those really low temps. I use coffee cans with a clear lid when small and very large tarps to cover rows.

As for preserving, learn how to can. That is your best bet down south with humidity. My biggest advice here, is make sure you clean your lids and jars after every batch before you store. Also make sure to take the rings off. Dehydrating and freeze drying are also good options. Just vacuum seal or for best option Mylar bags. I keep buckets of flour, sugar, baking soda, pasta, dried beans and rice.

Welcome to the board!

If you truly want your family and self to be safe, you will find a cheap few acres of land in a cooler area that is not highly occupied. People in high density areas will never be able to defend themselves from the horde. The smell of food carries. Gangs will rule the cities. Cannibalism is certain. You don’t necessarily even need a house on the land…in a cooler, but not cold area you could live in tents or RVs or Trailer, or even a barn. Then when Russia or our CIA shut down our grid…which is absolutely happening according to military folks in the know…you can bug out to your BOL and be much safer.
Good advice, thank you

Jon, I'm a southern Texan gal here and will say that I can grow something year round. You may actually be more southern than I am, depending on your location in FL. We rarely have freezing temps, and if you plant fall type crops during the winter, they will survive. You can just cover them during those really low temps. I use coffee cans with a clear lid when small and very large tarps to cover rows.

As for preserving, learn how to can. That is your best bet down south with humidity. My biggest advice here, is make sure you clean your lids and jars after every batch before you store. Also make sure to take the rings off. Dehydrating and freeze drying are also good options. Just vacuum seal or for best option Mylar bags. I keep buckets of flour, sugar, baking soda, pasta, dried beans and rice.
Thank you, I will look into doing that. Appreciate the advice.

I would go with a canned food supply. Then, all you have to worry about is hiding it from your neighbors. And think about the upside. While everyone is eating a lentil and buckwheat casserole, you could be living on tasty junk food.

In a grid-down, major disaster/war scenario where supplies are not coming in, how long before people become cannibals?
Absurd question, but a real question...Each human has its limits as to what it will eat.
Some humans would rather starve to death than to (sorry) eat a pet.
Some humans have absolutely no borders and are already cannibals...
Each human reacts to each catastrophe differently. Your question cannot be answered in a "normal" fashion since the parameters of the answer is too broad. TIME WILL TELL....

Absurd question, but a real question...Each human has its limits as to what it will eat.
Some humans would rather starve to death than to (sorry) eat a pet.
Some humans have absolutely no borders and are already cannibals...
Each human reacts to each catastrophe differently. Your question cannot be answered in a "normal" fashion since the parameters of the answer is too broad. TIME WILL TELL....
I understand your perspective, though I have done much reading and research into the actions of starving populations in the 20th Century. There may be a few people who, while going through the tortuous agony of starving to death, refuse to eat their pets. The vast majority, especially families, will eat their pets. And they'll eat your pets too.

Latest posts

Back