Wanting to buy silver, maybe gold, but what exactly am I looking for in silver coins?

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Reaction score
I've heard that the silver content is greater in coins 1964 and back, so that means one minted in 2013 only has a little bit of silver and isn't worth very much? I'd like to start buying real silver coins here and there so I could really use everyone's input and advice because I don't want to buy some 'collectables' that turn out to be worthless.
The silver is intended to buy things post-WTSHTF so I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
The silver is intended to buy things post-WTSHTF so I want to make sure I get the right stuff.
None of it is the right stuff. :( Nobody is going to trade you bullets or food for shiny metal in a post SHTF world.
And even if they did, it certainly wouldn't be at the same price you paid for it. Precious metal is a hedge against only ONE SHTF scenario, and that's economic collapse.
Even then, it's dicey, because currency is no longer backed by gold. It is backed by FAITH. Faith that a given government will be solvent for years to come. Faith in that nation's economic strength.

That said, here's your info:

Any United States dime, quarter, half dollar or dollar that is dated 1964 or earlier is made of 90% silver
Any after are copper-nickel clad with a couple of exceptions. Kennedy half dollars dated 1965-1970 are 40% silver. Eisenhower dollars, dated 1971-1974 with the S mint mark are 40% silver. Bicentennial sets were also 40% silver.

The value of these coins is tied directly to the price of silver. At $25 per ounce, 90% silver coins are worth about seventeen times their face value. A dime would be worth about $1.70, a quarter about $4.25, and a half dollar, about $8.50. At the same silver price of $25, 40% silver half dollars are worth approximately $2.75 each.
As for this:

so that means one minted in 2013 only has a little bit of silver and isn't worth very much
Nope, not even a little tiny bit. No silver at all past 1964 (except for the exceptions). ;)

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Glad to help. We actually discovered a little trove of old coins ourselves, and did the research and went through them all to see if anything valuable was there. We did have a lot of the silver coins, but nothing really out there.

Kenprep1979

Reaction score
I've heard that the silver content is greater in coins 1964 and back, so that means one minted in 2013 only has a little bit of silver and isn't worth very much? I'd like to start buying real silver coins here and there so I could really use everyone's input and advice because I don't want to buy some 'collectables' that turn out to be worthless.
Most people are into the silver bars, just keep any silver coins you find which are easy to spot they have a duller shean to them and do not possess a copper center around the edge. i have found many over the years just in change ive gotten back from gas stations. they are also lighter in weight from regular grade coins. and usually will not work in vending machines because of the weight difference. .999 fine silver 1 troy ounce bars on ebay for 38 bucks each.

Last edited:

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
Most people are into the silver bars, just keep any silver coins you find which are easy to spot they have a duller shean to them and do not possess a copper center around the edge. i have found many over the years just in change ive gotten back from gas stations. they are also lighter in weight from regular grade coins. and usually will not work in vending machines because of the weight difference. .999 fine silver 1 troy ounce bars on ebay for 38 bucks each.
If you google it you can find several places to buy assorted 1 oz silver rounds. They are like coins but are really just 1oz silver. You can buy them for just a little mark up over the spot price of silver. Apmex news is one place but there are several places that deal with precious metals for just a little markup. I like what gazrok said about it not being valuable in all circumstances, but I kind of want to cover as many bases as possible and think having some is a good idea.

Last edited:

DavyRocket

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but think of it this way. You cannot eat nor drink silver nor gold. So what should be most important to buy/store?

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
You can't eat nor drink dollar bills, but for some strange reason people seem to value them anyhow...:)

I have collected a number of different silver coins and rounds. I finally decided that for monetary purposes, pre 1965 silver quarters will be the easiest thing to use. There are a lot of counterfeit Silver Eagles and other one ounce coins, so it may be difficult to use those.

Quarters are small enough that it is not economical to counterfeit them. They are easily recognizable. You can find them at near the melt price, so they are a good value. Everyone can afford to buy them. If precious metals are used as money in the SHTF, I think silver quarters will be the coin of the realm. Of course you'll want some smaller change too. Nickels will probably keep full value, and copper pennies are already worth way more than one cent, so I'm not sure if you'll need silver dimes. The dimes seem to wear out faster than the quarters.

I have bought silver quarters on EvilBay and at a local coin shop. I prefer buying them from the coin shop for the anonymity, but they don't always have them. They sell out rapidly whenever they get some in. Seems a lot of other people have the same idea :rolleyes:.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
I get emails from apmex trying to get me to buy silver or gold frequently, just got one today advertising silver rounds for .99cents over spot silver price. No local dealer can match that, but they will hit you up for a shipping fee. I think diversity is smart in your prepping supplies, I just have too long a list with things I want more than silver coins.

realisticdude

Reaction score
After I'm 100% totally prepped ...............then I will start saving coins ............................

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
After I'm 100% totally prepped ...............then I will start saving coins ............................
The best deal you can get is on silver rounds. They look like coins but are actually just 1 oz silver with some design on them. Google and eBay them for comparison pricing. You want them where you can buy them just over the spot price of silver, which is just what silver is going for that day. You have to be careful as a lot of dealers will sell them cheap, but then add on handling fees and shipping. If you can find a local dealer that you get to know you're better off usually, just make sure you compare on line to know what there worth.

Krime

M.I.A.
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but think of it this way. You cannot eat nor drink silver nor gold. So what should be most important to buy/store?
well my friend, instead of precious metals, which I very much disagree wont be used to barter as people will still look towards some type of monetary currency, you should think of things you/family/ect DONT use, like tobacco, alcohol, and comforts that will be rather hard to find post-shtf.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
well my friend, instead of precious metals, which I very much disagree wont be used to barter as people will still look towards some type of monetary currency, you should think of things you/family/ect DONT use, like tobacco, alcohol, and comforts that will be rather hard to find post-shtf.
I think we all should save cheese it's. Heck, I'm addicted to them! Seriously, I think you should try to cover as many bases as you can. I do think some extra food or a bar of soap will go a long way, but I'm certain that once people adjust to living again, then the money will become usable again. So, no I don't think silver should be a priority, but if your resources allow, some isn't a bad idea.

turd ferguson

Jr Member
Reaction score
I'm hedging a change in the world reserve currency. I suspect that china will emerge with a gold backed currency in the near future. I realize their economy is in the crapper too, but they are buying gold like crazy. I get my silver from True metals group LLC.

Latest posts