Walmart a good place to get prepping supplies??

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeroicPrepper

Reaction score
Hey guys, last probably couple months MY Walmart ( and all Walmarts are different) been having amazing clearance items on camping gear and more. I was able to stock up on some great gear, food and other essentials. I posted a video if your interested!

Wall Mart is OK for some things. Most of their camping/survival gear is poor quality Chinese garbage. If you think you are getting a good deal on something buy it but test it. I'm sure a lot of people bought some survival gear and say " I got that prepper stuff covered". If they ever need to use it they will be sorely disappointed.

We spent the money on our first years prepping on freeze dried meal buckets, we already had freezers full of meat and frozen vegetables, also had plenty of dry goods on hand so we purchased enough freeze dried fruit and meat buckets for three people for one year as well as water storage. I also dehydrated a lot to store also, dry can beans , rice and grains. Add to your prepping when you can and have the extra and you will be in good shape.

The Wife and I bought a good deal of our camping equipment from Wal Mart years ago, but bought the name brand stuff and everything has worked great. But lately I have boycotting Wal Mart. They have stopped selling ALL ammo in my area and I heard all of Georgia! Academy Sports is the place to go now, NO price gouging on Anything!

I am just going to assume in a SHTF electricity will go out. For your refrigerator/freezer this means unless you generate your own, you will simply eat what doesn't spoil and throw the rest away. For this reason I relied on dry MRE-type things and canned goods. Now I have to start all over again and I am thinking of those commercial dried packaged meals for a month or two weeks-whatever as a start. Then canned goods, then more dry market products.

Walmart is certainly a cheap place to buy food and this includes canned food. For the camping/bushcraft/survival type gear I gravitate to used military surplus supplies. I start everything at the cheapest place, the 99 cent store, buy what I can, move on to the Family Dollar store, to the Dollar General, and then to Walmart.

First, F Walmart. They are in bed with the Chinese Communist Party. My last straw was getting into it with a manager that was rude and mean. I finally called her a stupid F'ing c*nt. She called the cops on me. They showed up at my house and told me I couldn't go back. I laughed.

like others mentioned a lot of the products are junk and will not last. You cannot even trust the food. We bought the pre cooked shrimp and it was bad, stunk really bad. Later we bought another bag and the same thing. There has been probably 6 other times we experienced bad food. One time the product had a chemical taste to it. If memory is correct, they were all Walmart brand foods.

Than there's Cabelas and Bass Pro if you have deep pockets.

You are correct Cabela's prices are higher than other stores but the secret is there credit card. I have the Cabela's credit card. As you use it you earn Cabela's money like you earn points for other credit cards. We use the CC for all of our monthly bills and other expenses. The money/points add up quickly.

We dont pay cash for stuff when we shop there. We have gotten two different generators for free. Yearly shoes for free. Black powder products for free. You get the point.

There are always alternative ways to get prepping supplies.

You are correct Cabela's prices are higher than other stores but the secret is there credit card. I have the Cabela's credit card. As you use it you earn Cabela's money like you earn points for other credit cards. We use the CC for all of our monthly bills and other expenses. The money/points add up quickly.

We dont pay cash for stuff when we shop there. We have gotten two different generators for free. Yearly shoes for free. Black powder products for free. You get the point.

There are always alternative ways to get prepping supplies.

anybody that has monthly biz expenses that run up credit card tabs into the $1,000s knows about the side benefits >> sometimes it pays to actually go for the premium card with a fee - even the regular free cards have their paybacks ....

Walmart has some great stuff for short term preps at very good prices. But if you're preparing for longer-term, SHTF situation then you'll need to go beyond just Walmart. Still, it's a good place to start for short term especially if you're on a budget.
Their camping gear is "short term" too. .. It will last you a little while but don't be relying on it for long or in extreme conditions.

I make it a general point to avoid Wally-World.

But for small stuff, that could be used for trade, their travel section is pretty good for things like toothpaste, shampoo, deoderant etc.
Dollar Store too.

Our nearest Walmart is about 100 miles from here and in another state. Walmart has mostly cheap Chinese made junk and we seldom shop there. But a few weeks ago the wife and I were in the area and decided to stop in and pick up some can foods. When we walked in the store some dimwitted employee told us we needed to wear a mask. We said no thanks. This fool started to follow us around waving a mask at us. She finally gave up and quit harassing us. Something else I've never seen before, not in the US anyway, was they had security guards posted by the checkout lines. We left our stuff in the cart and walked out, we'll never go back to Chinamart again.

If you are new to prepping and worried about next week or month, Get some dried beans and rice from a local store, some mylar bags and some O2 absorbers will keep you alive for a while. Then, as you can afford it, grow your supply. Prepping is like a Barbie doll. After you get the basics there are so, so many accessories to get. Barbie Doll's fallout shelter. Barbie Doll's best firearms. Barbie Doll's best bug out location. Barbie Dolls best trade goods. And the list goes on and on.

Walmart sometimes has some good canned food options. Keystone canned meats when they have it. Found cans of corn and green beans for 50 cents, although Aldi does, too.
Sams and Walmart are buying into Bill Gates "eat fake meat" plan, and I'm wondering if I should trust the meat at those stores.
It doesn't matter where you get your first year supplies. Most canned and dry foods have a two year shelf life, and just buy the stuff you eat anyway. Just buy at least enough for a year. Then look at some of the longer term food storage options.

Walmart sometimes has some good canned food options. Keystone canned meats when they have it. Found cans of corn and green beans for 50 cents, although Aldi does, too.
Sams and Walmart are buying into Bill Gates "eat fake meat" plan, and I'm wondering if I should trust the meat at those stores.
It doesn't matter where you get your first year supplies. Most canned and dry foods have a two year shelf life, and just buy the stuff you eat anyway. Just buy at least enough for a year. Then look at some of the longer term food storage options.
Remember that a lot of food sold at Walmart, aka Chinamart, actually comes from China. Never ever buy pet food at Chinamart either.

I’ll shop at Walmart some. They have most things you use daily at pretty good prices. Of course you usually get what you pay for in life. Cheaper price means cheaper stuff. I do like Walmart.com. You can order most things and it’s free shipping on any order over 35.00$. Delivered to your door is pretty nice. Most of my #10 cans of freeze dried foods came from Walmart and were the best prices I’ve found, shipped free too.

Latest posts

Back